Sick cat

Old October 4th 05, 02:07 PM
s--p--o--n--i--x

Default Sick cat

One of our cats ain't too well. (8 year old neutered male)

Recently he's lost a little weight. Since Friday he's been off his
food and lethargic.

The vet has taken a look and has found that he has mouth ulcers and
has a temp of 108F. However, the vet has tested for kidney problems,
FIV and leukaemia, so far all tests have come back negative.

The vet has given him a steriod/Vit B12/antibiotic injection and is
running further blood tests.

The vet is mystified and has so far refused to start a course of
antibiotics as it may "mask" any future tests. Personally, I'd like
him to go on a course of antibiotics straight away.

Any ideas as to what may be the problem? The cat had an infection
about two months ago *possibly* caused by tartar affecting the gums.
Is it possible that this has blown up again?

sponix
Old October 4th 05, 04:06 PM
Gail

Does he have these other symptoms as well?
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...l=en&st art=3

Old October 4th 05, 08:27 PM
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:06:23 GMT, "Gail" wrote:

Does he have these other symptoms as well?
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...l=en&st art=3

Hmmm..he does have a couple of mouth ulcers and the associated
drooling. However, he isn't sneezing and there are no eye/nose
discharges. His breathing seems OK at the moment.

We saw the vet again tonight and he's currently working on the basis
that it *could* be a blood parasite. He's given him a different
antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory to see what happens.

In the meantime the blood tests continue and I'll def mention
calcivirus...I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome.

sponix
Old October 4th 05, 09:51 PM
Kate

Have your vet tested for Diabetes?

Im not saying it is Diabetes, but it can look like many other things,
before it gets really bad.

weight loss, off food and being lethargic can be early signs of diabetes
, but they can also be related to other things.

Watch out for a strange smell on the breathe ,
like pear drops or a chemically smell,
this is when its really bad i.e they are going into shock.

Old October 5th 05, 03:55 AM
Rhonda

That's what I thought! Our cat's temp was just over 104 during a bad
bout of pancreatitus. He was immediately admitted to the hospital and
put on fluids. They said one more degree, and his organs could start
"cooking" (whatever that means in the vet world.)

If the temp is that high, I hope he's hospitalized and they are taking
drastic measures to reduce it. He should be force-fed or on IV's too,
since cats can't go more than a day or two without eating before there
is some risks with their liver.

Good luck to your kitty,

Rhonda

Karen wrote:

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT!!!!??? That is an insane fever. 104 is bad. Are
you sure about that?

Old October 5th 05, 08:47 AM
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:58:52 -0500, Karen wrote:

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT!!!!??? That is an insane fever. 104 is bad. Are
you sure about that?

Probably not.

When I spoke to the vey yesterday he said it'd dropped by half a
degree to (I think) 103?

sponix
Old October 5th 05, 08:50 AM
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:51:42 GMT, "Kate"
wrote:

Have your vet tested for Diabetes?

Im not saying it is Diabetes, but it can look like many other things,
before it gets really bad.

weight loss, off food and being lethargic can be early signs of diabetes
, but they can also be related to other things.

Would it lead to mouth ulcers an anaemia?

Watch out for a strange smell on the breathe ,
like pear drops or a chemically smell,

Just cat-breath at the moment.

sponix
Old October 5th 05, 01:37 PM
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 02:55:48 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

That's what I thought! Our cat's temp was just over 104 during a bad
bout of pancreatitus. He was immediately admitted to the hospital and
put on fluids. They said one more degree, and his organs could start
"cooking" (whatever that means in the vet world.)

Not sure...it's bee a long couple of nights..