Espy is ailing

Old December 29th 05, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Espy is ailing

3yo Male DSH is ailing this morning. First I couldn't find him but he
seems a bit deaf and doesn't always show up right away if he's off
sleeping somewhere other than the bedroom. Maybe he's just a very
heavy sleeper but sneaking up on him when he's sleeping does not take
much skill.

He showed up a few minutes later though, after I found an odd puddle
of water on the floor. I looked up to see if a leak had somehow
develped in the ceiling but nope. He's drooling and didn't eat but did
drink a lot of water. It isn't totally unusual for him to look at the
food and walk away but he never does that to his treats. I'm waiting
for the vet to open and off we go. He seems pretty ok but is
definitely somewhat off his normal routine. The first thing I do when
a cat is sick is to close the basement door to limit the space I have
to look if they decide to hide but he's just sitting on a speaker a
few feet away from me.

Could be some tooth issue or something he ate or just a cold although
he isn't sneezing or anything. Oh well, 20 minutes more to wait and
off we go. This will be the first time that I'm late for the new job
but stuff happens.
Old December 29th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:33:22 GMT, dgk
wrote:

[...]

Back from the vet. Not particularly good news in that it doesn't
appear to be a tooth, which was what I was hoping for. I am hoping
that he ate something disagreeable but he has lost weight. He was once
just near ten pounds and is now down to a little over eight. That's
troubling.

No clear signs of infection but he's definitely dehydrated, which
explains some of the weight loss. The doc injected fluids as well as
an antibiotic and prednisole (for appetite enhancement) and I have a
bottle of the magic pink elixer to dispense twice a day. Amoxicillin
and some other stuff mixed in.

And the CBC and Chem blood is on the way to the lab so more will be
revealed. I really wish that they could talk. I'm at work now but have
to get home by 5pm to update the doc on his condition. He is certainly
alert and active or I would have stayed home with him.
Old December 29th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"dgk" wrote in message
3yo Male DSH is ailing this morning.

I hope it is just a tooth.

Old December 29th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hope it's nothing too serious but am so glad you are getting him cared for
right away.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,