EMERGENCY!!: Seriously injured cat and I CANNOT do anything about it (sort of - READ!) PLEASE HELP!

Old September 5th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default EMERGENCY!!: Seriously injured cat and I CANNOT do anything about it (sort of - READ!) PLEASE HELP!

"nobody" wrote

Anyone with any sense would have already taken the cat to a vet
or the humane society. Take him in and say, "I have no money for
his care, but could not stand to see him suffer." This is why I

I don't know if the story is true or not, given how the Internet is
these days. Iif it is, you have my thanks for taking care of the poor
kitty and condolences for the loss.

'Lost' is living in a semi-remote area, not a big city and the cat was found
at night. She's got some medical issues that prevent driving so had to wait
til the vets opened next morning. She was there when they opened and had
the cat put to sleep right away. A sad situation but she did the best she
could under the circumstances.

Most folks that are mad at her, didnt notice the time-line, or pay attention
to the list of injuries in the first post. Now, I wouldnt have sent money
either, but I can appreciate she did the best she knew how under the
circumstances and was at the vets waiting for them to open first thing
having already tried the only emergency line she had and not getting a
response.

Old September 5th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default EMERGENCY!!: Update: RIP "Puss Puss" 20080904 0901 AM EST.

"cybercat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

This bitch is a troll. After all the noise, here's the question: what
could possibly have been the purpose of posting this horse****? So
there's the cat, mangled and suffering, and this asshole for whatever
reason will not take it to the vet or the Humane Society. What is the
purpose of posting about it here?

Track the timeline. Rural areas often do not have 24/7 emergency care. She
was in a bit of a panic, yes. I think any of us would be under those
circumstances of having to wait for the vet to open. I know I would be.
I'd ramble in panic.

Then again, I live in a big area. In fact, this past Monday (holiday) had
the city services out. Someone's lab rat looking thing has gotten loose and
there are babies as well. We were the 3rd one to call evidently when we saw
2 in our back yard on the wood pile while the neighbors and our kid were
back there playing. (mom and baby we think).

They've been laying traps and warned folks to keep their cats inside until
they collect them and to keep dogs on leashes even in back yard for now (not
to let them stay there, but walk them on a leash to pee then take them back
in). I had to call back to have them collect the full one behind my wood
pile this morning. How's that for fun? The arent 'mice' but full bodied
rats. Source not know as of yet but they found some at the back of the
school thats a block away and think a storage room for the kitchen may be
related? Just a logical guess but the fellow who picked up the dead rat and
left another trap there, said they hadnt found anything yet.

No rabies yet thank goodness. Yes, we get rabid squirrels from time to time
here. I'm told people get huge fines if they are caught allowing the rabies
shots on their pets to lapse and there are city services to have them
updated for near free (I think it's like 5$).

Anyways, they've caught 2. One adult (my yard) and one adolescent. No more
sightings so the rat poison may have worked. We hope so!

Old September 5th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cshenk" wrote in message
"nobody" wrote

Anyone with any sense would have already taken the cat to a vet
or the humane society. Take him in and say, "I have no money for
his care, but could not stand to see him suffer." This is why I

I don't know if the story is true or not, given how the Internet is
these days. Iif it is, you have my thanks for taking care of the poor
kitty and condolences for the loss.

'Lost' is living in a semi-remote area, not a big city and the cat was
found at night. She's got some medical issues that prevent driving so had
to wait til the vets opened next morning.

Right. Read the original post again. The horse **** you choose to believe is
what "Lost" said while backpedaling. Below is the original post, most likely
designed to get money from people.

I have him in my home and I'm providing food and water for a
SERIOUSLY malnourished young male (I think, haven't checked) with
exposed hips and ribs with a mangled left arm.

The weird WEIRD weird lady who happened to be walking around in her
front yard when we spotted the kitty (at 4:30AM) says it is was the
next door neighbor's cat, the arm was broken a LONG time ago she
said (yeah ****ing right, that's why the arm is scarred over but
seeping serum?!) and they finally got tired of it because their dog
would attack it.

As she loved and kissed on it the spouse pushed her out of the way
to close the car door (he was disgusted).

So I'm asking or telling you all this...

I need help. Either financially because I cannot take the burden
of this poor kitty at the moment.

(cybercat, please don't choose now to be a bitch.)

...or I need someone to take this cat immediately. The options are
as follows as I understand them.

1) The "dog pound" will immediately euthanize this kitty because
of the severity of its condition.

2) The refuge cannot take more animals at the moment (and will not
take an injured animal of this extent -- yeah... refuge huh?)

3) The vets will NOT take this kitty as far as I know because I
cannot pay for the care which they want to know up front.

Old September 5th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I have to agree with cybercat on this one. I tried to offer advice and the
OP was pretty rude with me as well. Trollers are usually like that.

"cybercat" wrote

Old September 5th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "cshenk" :

This bitch is a troll. After all the noise, here's the
question: what could possibly have been the purpose of posting
this horse****? So there's the cat, mangled and suffering, and
this asshole for whatever reason will not take it to the vet or
the Humane Society. What is the purpose of posting about it
here?

Because your best friend CatNipped told me it was an alternative
before. To seek assistance here. That's what I get for depending
on a liar.

To upset people. Period.

I hope that's true. Maybe I can force you into an early heart
attack? And yeah, I'm flaming or trolling now I guess. Only
because flaming means to post hurtful ****e on purpose. You know,
what you've done for years here!

Track the timeline. Rural areas often do not have 24/7
emergency care. She was in a bit of a panic, yes. I think any
of us would be under those circumstances of having to wait for
the vet to open. I know I would be. I'd ramble in panic.

My spouse brought that up to me as I sat here crying wondering why
I was dumb enough to post here about it (like CatNipped suggested
to me before). They made a really valid point -- Puss Puss was in
our home for maybe 4 hours. That entire time I called people and
got no answer (as usual because it was not during normal business
hours), fed and watered kitty, swaddled kitty in a towel, and kept
him safe from Gabby -- Phat Kat wouldn't have been a problem.

I also like how Cat Protector calls themselves helpful when all
they did was call me a troll and question my actions.

I also like how the infallible cybercat or the Google-sleuth
CatNipped doesn't bother to verify that my area has no such FREE or
"assistance before paying and you can worry about the bill later"
service but continue to run their mouth. Or how about cybercat
saying "do ANYTHING for the kitty to help it, no matter what it
costs" yet me doing that was wrong.

Screw it... I'm a troll then I guess. If that means I'll continue
to call it like I see it and NEVER be intimidated by the little
game they play of labeling people and hanging on for dear life
again.

Thanks for believing I'm just a goob, cshenk. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 5th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "cybercat" :

I don't know if the story is true or not, given how the
Internet is these days. Iif it is, you have my thanks for
taking care of the poor kitty and condolences for the loss.

'Lost' is living in a semi-remote area, not a big city and the
cat was found at night. She's got some medical issues that
prevent driving so had to wait til the vets opened next
morning.

Right. Read the original post again. The horse **** you choose
to believe is what "Lost" said while backpedaling. Below is the
original post, most likely designed to get money from people.

Every bit of the "horse ****" is accurate. I just rambled off
SEVERAL different ideas about what to do. I was trying to cover
all bases (because as stated I don't process as fast as most so I
rambled about everything I could type out in time).

It'd be great if cybercat could be specific about which part is
****e. I still don't understand. Same with the backpedaling...
what did I recant on?

And of course they dodge the fact that I have said more than once
that ALL I asked for was for them to contact the vet or whatever.
The reason cybercat ignores it is because her chum CatNipped told
me to do this before.

God forbid we admit our friend is at fault to save them some face.

I have him in my home and I'm providing food and water for a
SERIOUSLY malnourished young male (I think, haven't checked)
with exposed hips and ribs with a mangled left arm.

The weird WEIRD weird lady who happened to be walking around in
her front yard when we spotted the kitty (at 4:30AM) says it is
was the next door neighbor's cat, the arm was broken a LONG
time ago she said (yeah ****ing right, that's why the arm is
scarred over but seeping serum?!) and they finally got tired of
it because their dog would attack it.

As she loved and kissed on it the spouse pushed her out of the
way to close the car door (he was disgusted).

So I'm asking or telling you all this...

I need help. Either financially because I cannot take the
burden of this poor kitty at the moment.

OK, worded wrong. Where is the part about "to alleviate trust
issues?" Oh, THAT'S RIGHT! It does benefit your theory about me.

(cybercat, please don't choose now to be a bitch.)

Looks like you didn't listen.

...or I need someone to take this cat immediately. The options
are as follows as I understand them.

Oh no! Someone else come and help me with the cat! Oh yeah I see
how I screwed up now. (????????????????)

1) The "dog pound" will immediately euthanize this kitty
because of the severity of its condition.

Perfectly true. Although cybercat doesn't want truth.

2) The refuge cannot take more animals at the moment (and will
not take an injured animal of this extent -- yeah... refuge
huh?)

Perfectly true. Although cybercat doesn't want truth. And to boot
one of the places I found said that they would require the kitty to
be in good health or for us to get veterinary care for it before it
could come there.

Hell, if we could have afforded it we'd have a new kitty! Possible
amputee and all!

3) The vets will NOT take this kitty as far as I know because
I cannot pay for the care which they want to know up front.

Perfectly true. During the "most vets will work out a payment
plan" "horse ****" (as cybercat calls it) that everyone told me
here period I called ALL the vets within a 25 mile radius and NONE
would work out a payment plan. The one in the "big city" about ~50
miles from here would. I cannot get that far on my own.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 5th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "cybercat" :

Wow, what a tough situation. I can feel the panic -- the middle
of the night and a cat in critical condition.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. You did the cat a favor
by getting him to the vet. He was probably much more
comfortable too after food and water.

And am I glad "Lost" posted here first that she could not take
the cat to a vet. That was really good too. Ugh.

I feel your pain cybercat. The truth is often a painful thing to
admit, especially when it strikes close to home.

You know, like you being an incompetent bitch. You claim that the
only reason I posted this was because I wanted to "upset people."
What were you doing when you spewed your business about poor Boo
and her lump? Were you trying to upset people?

What were you doing when you talked about you didn't have any money
at first because you had to "do some jobs." I can only guess what
a crotchety woman did as a "some jobs." As a matter of fact what
were you doing for Boo while you waited to get money? (On the last
one I'm guessing you were able to get her care before you had the
money -- I don't have that luxury around here.)

Were you trying to upset us?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old September 6th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

cybercat wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

Wow, what a tough situation. I can feel the panic -- the middle of the
night and a cat in critical condition.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. You did the cat a favor by getting
him to the vet. He was probably much more comfortable too after food and
water.

And am I glad "Lost" posted here first that she could not take the cat to a
vet. That was really good too. Ugh.

What I saw in that post was panic. The cat was in trouble and she didn't
know how to help. Posting about needing someone to take the cat right
now was raw terror. Worrying about a vet not even wanting to help
because she couldn't pay up front was another issue.

I'm sorry for the cat and I'm not going to judge Lost for what was said
or not said while a cat was laying in her tub, dying.

Rhonda

Old September 6th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Rhonda exclaimed (9/6/2008 1:43 AM):
cybercat wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

Wow, what a tough situation. I can feel the panic -- the middle of
the night and a cat in critical condition.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. You did the cat a favor by
getting him to the vet. He was probably much more comfortable too
after food and water.

And am I glad "Lost" posted here first that she could not take the cat
to a vet. That was really good too. Ugh.

What I saw in that post was panic. The cat was in trouble and she didn't
know how to help. Posting about needing someone to take the cat right
now was raw terror. Worrying about a vet not even wanting to help
because she couldn't pay up front was another issue.

I'm sorry for the cat and I'm not going to judge Lost for what was said
or not said while a cat was laying in her tub, dying.

Rhonda

Yes, I agree with Rhonda. I've lived in even remoter areas than Lost
probably lives in, and might have posted something similar had I come
across a cat that badly injured, with no help in sight. I certainly
would have reacted similarly - research the 'net for first aid, post
here looking for help, keep calling around trying to find *someone* who
could help the poor cat, and panic until morning when nothing helps.

However, Lost, I'd not reacted with the vitriol you did. It just makes
'em more convinced you're a troll, though I know you're not.

I'm sort of surprised at the lack of compassion of the local vet though,
all the vets I've had would of (and have, once or twice), met me at the
clinic, no matter what time it was.

I do think sometimes people are too quick to call troll, just because a
person doesn't (or can't) handle an emergency the same way they would.
No matter how detailed the post, we Are Not There (and We Are Not Them),
and cannot know the exact situation the person's in, or going through.

jmc
Old September 6th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"-Lost" wrote
"cshenk" :

Smile, minor editing of your post to shorten yet get the gist.
I'm with ya on some of this. I too have medical issues. So do
both of my pets though Daisy-cat's problems arent severe.

Oh sheesh, that'll be a chore in and of itself. Get me to shorten
a ramble? : P

Snicker. Well, just dropped off Daisy and Cash for the vet to work on.
Both get dental, Cash gets snipped as well.

Cardiologist came out to walk him about a bit and smiled. Even if we aren't
perfect at ear cleanings, they are delighted at how healthy they both are.
Especially Cash who's 50.00 lbs on the nose! PERFECT!

His coat is glossy, his eyes are bright, his belly slightly concave with a
natural waist dip when seen from above. I might even dip into that dog echo
just to crow a little (evil grin).

On Daisy, I forgot to subtract her carrier properly yesterday. She's 12.2
lbs. Still, I was by eyeball going 'about 2 lbs over' and thats still
right. Not norribly fat, but a bit more plump than the little lady should
be.

extremely surprised because it was so infected -- it was oozing
a thick yellowish liquid. I forgot what she called it but it
wasn't serum or pus.

Odd, but must have been that way quite a time. Probably what
they call 'systemic' by the time you found the poor fellow.
That means all through his body via the lymphatic system and/or
blood stream.

That was it! Systemic! Although I still think she may have called
the liquid a specific name...

Yes, she would have. Serum something probably. To help out, 'systemic'
means it was throughout much of the poor thing's body. Possibly pockets of
infection all through the abdomin which matches how you described the little
thing's pain. The words 'septicemia' were probably used as well. Thats an
infection of the blood system.

With limited finances, I hate to say it but he's right. My
husband would like another dog, but I dont want the vet bills.
I'm already paying 40$ a month in insurance (just got back from
the vets, the pre-check before they both get dental and Cash-pup
gets snipped with the cardiologist doing the honors- I don't
expect anyone to track everyone's pets so short version is Cash
had bad heartworms and has heart damage so he gets the
cardiologist. Yeah! He's finally healthy enough they say! Been
turned down 4 times before this).

Cardiologist is all smiles. He's getting snipped already probably and they
will keep him much of the day to make sure he comes out of the anestesia
(cant spell that one) ok. They anticipate no problems.

I've come to this conclusion too. First people complain about
someone doing the wrong thing, then they complain that they should
go in debt, then they about face again claiming me finding Puss
Puss was just a reason for me to post an inflammatory post.

The lady at the counter was telling me that she had to have one of her cats
put down not long ago. Could not afford the treatment, and only a 50%
survival chance with reduced quality of life probable if she had. Advanced
lymphatic cancer. Sad, but happens even to folks who work in a vet's
office.

I think the spouse has it through my thick skull. We will not
incur debt for an animal that we do not owe a responsibility if it
means taking away from OUR animal friends. And it would HAVE to be
debt because we don't have cash on hand like that.

True. A sad reality. It's best to keep to what you know you can handle.
Oh, keep your kitties indoors to reduce risk of dog damage. It sounds like
there might be some that aren't very cat friendly near you.

Hey, we come here to chat and to comfort or assist. I actually
usually get along fine with both of the others you do not get
along with. It was the dog echo I couldnt handle.

That's what I thought! Which is all I've ever really done here.
Chat in my own (obviously unaccepted) way.

Hey, Rhonda and I have no problem with it! You'll see she sent another
message last night that your panic is perfectly understandable.

Best thing is just ignore the ones who are getting all awkward. Cybercat
can be that way but alot of the time she's cool people and she and I have
had many a nice exchange.

Some really awkward folks there and horrendously bad advice. My
vet is a quiet reader there and was spitting mad when I walked
in with Cash about all the garbage they were dishing. Worst was
the feeding advice. Cash fortunately now is stable at the

Ah, that's right! You had a taste of the GRAMMAR HARPIES.

Naw, just started a post and hit the wrong tone for the folks in that other
group. Like some didnt fully read yours and took off on just a small
portion of it, same happened to me.

Grin, never mention 'small reputable breeder' there! They do not believe
such a thing exists. That one *really* spun up my vet. I mentioned the
english bull dog couple across the street and how they breed them (3 litters
after checking carefully to be sure a 3rd was ok with the vet, then she got
spayed). Nice folks, pups come with all shots, 1st year benefield contract
pre-paid, house broken, neuter/spay appt (also pre-paid), well adjusted and
leash trained. Ages when they come available for adoption range based on
the pup's learning speed with I believe 4 months being the usual. They make
a small profit on them (about 300$) which offsets the cost to feed the
parents and little more. Most go to homes within 2 miles of us and they do
not advertise. They make sure they only go to good families who also will
have them neutered on time and understand that all the other english bull
dogs around here are their own pups so no safe breeding can happen. None of
them have ever had any health problems and if they arent true 'show
quality', they are close enough for the likes of regular people who just
love the breed.

Well, I mentioned them and the fur started flying! Now, you have to put
together that my vet is also their vet (a good place, nearest one to us both
as well).

I think it's funny in a way. The dog group tore me a new one for
using a smiley face so I didn't come off sounding or appearing
rude. The smiley face they said was me being rude (or something
like that) and then we argued them being idiots while they talked
about how poor my grammar is.

hehehehe!

perfect weight of 50 lbs (give or take one just like you and I
would shift a tad). I ignored them and went with what the vet
said and then they got *really* nasty. (Cash is a beagle mix,
was 34 lbs and they wanted me to immediately put him on a severe
diet even though I was clearly telling them his spine was
sticking out and you could count every rib up to his shoulders
from across the room when standing). 16 lbs later, he's a
lovely beagle mix. Believed to be part bull mastiff which is
why he's so big. Looks like a short legged bull mastiff with a
big beagle head ;-)

*chuckle* He sounds adorable!

He is! When Cash sashay's by, dog lovers just start smiling. First glance,
'aww! What a cute Beagle! Second glance, my GHOD what a Huge muscular cute
waggy tailed beagle!'

If I tell someone I have a 50 lb Beagle, they get confused and think I'm
some maniac who over feeds. I learned to mention *mix* right up there first
and that the vets best guess based on measurements is Bull Mastiff (who I
believe get to 100 lbs or so?). Have to use a harness for him. His neck is
so muscular, a regular collar woth work for walking.

Back to cats ;-)

Now Daisy-cat? She needs a diet! We've been overfeeding her.
She's not an overtly big boned cat and should be about 10-11
lbs, but is at 14.2 today. Not too far out of standard, but not
all that good for her either.

I was off by 2 lbs there. Forgot to account for the fluffy big towel.
She's 12.2 which is about 2 more than she should be.

Phil P. has a Purina scoring chart on his Max's House site if you
haven't seen it:

http://maxshouse.com/nutrition/Body_...stem-Chart.jpg

Yes. Site back up now. Daisy would be between 'heavy' and 'overweight' but
well under 'obese' from the pics.

I'm trying to get Phat Kat down and it's working a little. My 2
problems are he bites me when he wants food which is constantly and
he does not like to play or exercise in general. Every now and
again he gets the wide-eyed-crazy-kitty thing going but it usually
lasts less than a few minutes.

It's hard. Especially if you free feed. I had to stop that with Daisy
except she gets nutty if there isnt a small amount of kibble left for her.
She was abandoned and some of that stayed with her. Her behavior is still a
little feral but not too bad.

LoL, you got me rambling! Hopefully a little cheery note will
make you feel better?

Yes. I feel a lot better to see someone beside my spouse actually
understanding I meant no harm. Why is it so hard to believe
someone isn't up to something all the time? Sheesh.

Some folks are more suspicious, probably because they have been taken in
before. I tend to take folks at face value and while sometimes I get proven
wrong, it doesnt stop me from taking the next person at face value again.