tail docking and declawing

Old November 20th 03, 11:46 PM
Yngver

Default tail docking and declawing

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-122499c.html

In the version of this story that ran locally, the lawyer for the breed group
said labeling tail docking as cruel was as silly as saying declawing cats is
cruel.

I guess she doesn't realize that declawing *is* cruel. I hope that this man
wins his case because it may open the door to similar rulings about whether
declawing falls under state animal cruelty laws.
Old November 20th 03, 11:57 PM
PawsForThought

From: ospam (Yngver)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-122499c.html

In the version of this story that ran locally, the lawyer for the breed group
said labeling tail docking as cruel was as silly as saying declawing cats is
cruel.

I guess she doesn't realize that declawing *is* cruel. I hope that this man
wins his case because it may open the door to similar rulings about whether
declawing falls under state animal cruelty laws.

I hope he wins too. I could never understand why these people think it
appropriate to cut dog's ears and tails to fit some "standard." Animal
mutilation definitely needs to be banned

Lauren
________
Old November 20th 03, 11:57 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 20th 03, 11:57 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 21st 03, 12:33 AM
Orchid

On 20 Nov 2003 22:57:31 GMT, olitter (PawsForThought)
wrote:

From:
ospam (Yngver)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-122499c.html

In the version of this story that ran locally, the lawyer for the breed group
said labeling tail docking as cruel was as silly as saying declawing cats is
cruel.

I guess she doesn't realize that declawing *is* cruel. I hope that this man
wins his case because it may open the door to similar rulings about whether
declawing falls under state animal cruelty laws.

I hope he wins too. I could never understand why these people think it
appropriate to cut dog's ears and tails to fit some "standard." Animal
mutilation definitely needs to be banned

I'm with you for non-sporting breeds (ie, Dobie, Rottie, etc),
but after I saw an undocked Springer Spaniel after a day of hunting in
the dense brush, I changed my mind about docking for sporting breeds.
The poor boy's tail was beaten bloody, with tatters of skin hanging
off. He was of course rushed to the vet, and ended up having his tail
amputated because of the damage. Hunting dogs just get so into what
they are doing that they don't notice that they are smacking their
poor tails into shreds. I know, you'd think the pain would stop them,
but it doesn't.

Orchid

Orchid's Kitties: http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Orchid's Guide: http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old November 21st 03, 02:09 AM
PawsForThought

From: (Orchid)

(PawsForThought)
wrote:

From:
ospam (Yngver)

[...]

I'd heard about this happening before. I guess in such a case, it's for the
animal's own welfare. I wonder how often it happens to hunting dogs? Do you
have any idea?
________
Old November 21st 03, 02:09 AM
PawsForThought