daddy oh daddy!

Old April 2nd 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default daddy oh daddy!

It's time for Jupiters spaying, I got an appt for this Fri.
it's 150.00 then it's 13.00 more IF i want pain med afterwards..

Im like, why don't you just stick a gun to my head...OF COURSE I WANT
PAIN MEDS!

They should be shot with ****tolla and shot for stinking,. then charged
with cruelty to animals.
it's not the money it's the idea...how does anyone cut an animal open,
then charge extra for pain medsin?...

could it be that some owners prefer not to ease the pain by way of
meds?
oh well!

I am also wondering if there is anything I can feed Jupiter to prep her
for the anestesia?

I know in humans if you go under the knife, you can "vitaman up" seeing
that the liver will have to process the anestesia; this preps the liver
for the forthcoming load.

Thanks nice people

*I have also put in a call to a local lowered cost spay program, they
only charge $38.00
if I can't get up with them, Im keeping the appt...I can't take another
session of Jupiter schlepping around the home begging for something she
don't know what she wants.

Old April 2nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Barry if you can afford it make sure you get the "wake up shot" I forgot
the exact name of the shot but it helps them come out of the sleep alot
faster and easier

oups.com...

Old April 2nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

D. wrote:

In humans, it's best not to eat. I had emergency surgery once and spent
four days vomiting afterwards.

right, they did tell me not to let her eat after 8pm the night before

I had a friend who had major cosmetic surgery, her doctor told her that
the liver removes anestesia from the body... I didn't think to ask them
about this... I bet there is something I can do for blackie with this,
someone else is telling me Jupiter is going to be real sick for about 4
days afterwards.

*why can't Iiiii have pain meds tooo?

Old April 2nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Matthew AKA NMR wrote:
Barry if you can afford it make sure you get the "wake up shot" I forgot
the exact name of the shot but it helps them come out of the sleep alot
faster and easier

hmm, I like the sound of that

where can me one of these "wake up shots"...

I think I could make some X-tra money reselling them to the public

have them flyin you know

TORE OUT THE FRAME

Old April 2nd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

D. wrote:

In humans, it's best not to eat. I had emergency surgery once and spent
four days vomiting afterwards.

right, they did tell me not to let her eat after 8pm the night before

I had a friend who had major cosmetic surgery, her doctor told her that
the liver removes anestesia from the body... I didn't think to ask them
about this... I bet there is something I can do for blackie with this,
someone else is telling me Jupiter is going to be real sick for about 4
days afterwards.

*why can't Iiiii have pain meds tooo?

Male or female? Fixed before or after they reach sexual maturity?

My boy cats were playing the next day with little obvious discomfort. (For
male the testicles are removed, females have to have a total hysterectomy.)
The girl cats took longer to heal - but after about 4 days were back to
normal. Regardless of some temporary pain, YOU ARE DOING THE VERY BEST
THING in having them fixed. So pat yourself on the back, and encourage
other cat owners to be responsible about neutering too. And yes, I'd
certainly pay for the pain medicine.
(Unfortunately, vets can't prescibe tranquilizers for worried owners !!! )

More details about cat's sex lives:

IMO, its probably a bit harder on the animal if you wait until after their
first heat.
But you'd have to ask a vet to know if thats really true. All my animals
were fixed as early as the vet would operate (about 4 months, some vets
operate earlier now).

That way you avoid the cats picking up bad habits. Tomcats fixed after
sexual maturity do calm down a lot, but if they have already started
spraying you may still have a problem (and need to patiently retrain him).
The older neutered tom is also more likely to still wander some or even
fight. (Please keep your cats inside for their own safety!!!) This is
because the male behavoirs are learned and not just under hormonal control.
BUT - its still best to fix an unneutered older tomcat - he will be much
happier, so will you and their won't be dozens of little unwanted kittens.

Of course, fixing an intact sexually mature female (or 'queen'), eliminates
unwanted kittens. She will also stop cycling into heat - which if you ever
have had an intact female inside for long you know is a major nuisance.
When she's in heat she'll cry, howl, try constantly to escape - she's
literally uncomfortable unless she gets pregnant. Queens can even start
spraying. The female heat lasts several days and can reoccur every few
weeks unless she becomes pregnant.

(Breeders have a special trick they use to fool the female's body into
thinking its pregnant - and ending the heat. After all, they don't want
their precious queens having more than 1-2 litters a year. More is very
unhealthy.)

See this link for females and heat:
http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/ht/oestrus.htm

-- maryjane

Old April 3rd 06, 11:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Freight Train Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's time for Jupiters spaying, I got an appt for this Fri.
it's 150.00 then it's 13.00 more IF i want pain med afterwards..

Im like, why don't you just stick a gun to my head...OF COURSE I WANT
PAIN MEDS!

"Pain med afterwards"? Did your vet get his degree during the Dark Ages?
You might want to ask him about preemptive analgesia *before* the
procedure-- it will head off the nociceptive response before its picked up
by the brain. The fentanyl patch takes 12-24 hrs to peak and lasts for
about 3-4 days. So if your vet puts a 25mcg/h patch on her a day before
the
procedure, she'll go through the surgery, recover and heal without ever
feeling a thing. You'll
probably have to pay for a whole box of 5- because I doubt your vet keeps
them in stock. Definitely worth the $60.

I hope the vet uses an inhalant anesthetic- but since he's even asking about
pain meds, he probably doesn't. If not, you might want to find a vet that
does.

Old April 3rd 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil P. wrote:

"Pain med afterwards"? Did your vet get his degree during the Dark Ages?
You might want to ask him about preemptive analgesia *before* the
procedure-- it will head off the nociceptive response before its picked up
by the brain.

I'll have to look this up, never heard of the nociceptive response, no
matter...

The fentanyl patch takes 12-24 hrs to peak and lasts for
about 3-4 days. So if your vet puts a 25mcg/h patch on her a day before
the
procedure, she'll go through the surgery, recover and heal without ever
feeling a thing.

I like the sound of it

I hope the vet uses an inhalant anesthetic- but since he's even asking about
pain meds, he probably doesn't. If not, you might want to find a vet that
does.

mhmm

Im hoping to hear back from the facility I found at this site.
http://www.spayva.org/spay_neuter.htmlq

it cost less, but I'll ask them like you say. If *pain, is avoidable,
it'd be a shame to do it any other way.

Thanks Phil

Old April 3rd 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Freight Train Jones wrote:
Phil P. wrote:

[...]

ooops

actual link is http://www.spayva.org/spay_neuter.html
i had added a q to that link.. in previous

later

LIKE YOU NEED TO CLICK IT ANYWAY!
YOU'VE CLICKED ENOUGH LINKS, YOUR OVER YOUR LIMIT ANYWAY

Old April 3rd 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Phil, How and where is the patch affixed? I am thinking it might calm
Tiger down before his next vet trip.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 3rd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Phil, How and where is the patch affixed? I am thinking it might calm
Tiger down before his next vet trip.

Mike, fentanyl doesn't seem have the same sedative effects in cats as it
does in some dogs- at least I haven't noticed any. I don't think you should
use a fentanyl patch for that purpose. Try spraying the carrier with
Feliway or catnip.

Phil