Kind of sad

Old May 9th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Kind of sad

I got a doormat surprise this morning. Boyfie brought me a bat.
Now given that he cannot fly himself it may have got grounded or maybe it
was having a drink on the birdbath when he happened to pass by last night at
dusk.

It was this:
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/-common...relle-821.html

So when I knew Simon was coming today, I thought he should be given the
opportunity to see the only bat he will see, close up.
I don't think he really appreciated it.

He did say (bless his lovely heart) when I spread its wings out for him to
see how fabulous it was "I can see how difficult it would be to invent
those wings."

Old May 10th 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

I got a doormat surprise this morning. Boyfie brought me a bat.
Now given that he cannot fly himself it may have got grounded or maybe it
was having a drink on the birdbath when he happened to pass by last night at
dusk.

Bats are quite intuitive and they use sonar... I have no idea how long
bats live but chances are it was old or hurt before Boyfie got to it.
They're not easily trapped.

Some people in the US put up bat houses to attract them. They're very
beneficial creatures. John and I went to an outdoor concert one night a
few years ago. He looked up and said, "Are those bats?" Yes. They
were swooping down catching mosquitoes.

He did say (bless his lovely heart) when I spread its wings out for him to
see how fabulous it was "I can see how difficult it would be to invent
those wings."

Indeed, it would be. Their wings are amazing. I'm not afraid of bats.
Granted, I don't want one in my house (BTDT). But I don't react as if
I'm starring in an early Dracula film if I see one. LOL

Jill
Old May 10th 13, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I got a doormat surprise this morning. Boyfie brought me a bat.
Now given that he cannot fly himself it may have got grounded or maybe it
was having a drink on the birdbath when he happened to pass by last night at
dusk.

It was this:
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/-common...relle-821.html

So when I knew Simon was coming today, I thought he should be given the
opportunity to see the only bat he will see, close up.
I don't think he really appreciated it.

LOL. Perhaps Simon isn't the wildlife lover that you are.

He did say (bless his lovely heart) when I spread its wings out for him to
see how fabulous it was "I can see how difficult it would be to invent
those wings."

You're lucky that you can enjoy a bat encounter, even if it was dead. And
not have to worry that Boyfie might have picked up rabies. I like bats and
I'm not afraid of them per se, but in the back of my mind I wonder if my
cats, or I, for that matter, would be in danger from one. People have died
from rabies caused by bat bites in this country. It's extremely rare, but
it happens. And if there's anyone who's willing to worry about it, it's me.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old May 10th 13, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 09 May 2013 19:37:52 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
He did say (bless his lovely heart) when I spread its wings out for him to
see how fabulous it was "I can see how difficult it would be to invent
those wings."

Indeed, it would be. Their wings are amazing. I'm not afraid of bats.
Granted, I don't want one in my house (BTDT). But I don't react as if
I'm starring in an early Dracula film if I see one. LOL

Everyone I've known who has seen a bat up-close admit that they're very
cute.

This time of year, they're hungry from having been hibernating all winter,
but insects aren't in full force yet. Probably some of them are going to be
too weakened to escape from a Boyfriend or other similarly fearsome
predator.
Old May 10th 13, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 May 2013 19:37:52 -0400, jmcquown
He did say (bless his lovely heart) when I spread its wings out for him
see how fabulous it was "I can see how difficult it would be to invent
those wings."

Indeed, it would be. Their wings are amazing. I'm not afraid of bats.
Granted, I don't want one in my house (BTDT). But I don't react as if
I'm starring in an early Dracula film if I see one. LOL

Everyone I've known who has seen a bat up-close admit that they're very
cute.

This time of year, they're hungry from having been hibernating all winter,
but insects aren't in full force yet. Probably some of them are going to
be
too weakened to escape from a Boyfriend or other similarly fearsome
predator.

Now I feel really bad about it, worse than I did before.

However if I choose to let my cat out I have to accept what he might do

Old May 11th 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I got a doormat surprise this morning. Boyfie brought me a bat.

So when I knew Simon was coming today, I thought he should be given the
opportunity to see the only bat he will see, close up.
I don't think he really appreciated it.

LOL. Perhaps Simon isn't the wildlife lover that you are.

g I think he is, but perhaps he prefers to see live ones and doesn't have
the same type of scientific interest in dead specimens that I do. However
he is very used to my quirks & foibles and excuses them all.

You're lucky that you can enjoy a bat encounter, even if it was dead. And
not have to worry that Boyfie might have picked up rabies. I like bats and
I'm not afraid of them per se, but in the back of my mind I wonder if my
cats, or I, for that matter, would be in danger from one.

Yes, we are very lucky not to have rabies in the UK due to our previously
very stringent and some would say draconian quarantine laws. Now there is a
vaccine.

People have died
from rabies caused by bat bites in this country. It's extremely rare, but
it happens.

We did have a death in Scotland in 2002:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2509375.stm

And if there's anyone who's willing to worry about it, it's me.

Try not to. Even if you or your cats were bitten by a bat (and how likely is
that?) the likelihood of it having rabies is very small.
There was some concern initially in case any rabid bats from France got
through the Channel tunnel but there's no evidence to suggest it, unless
that Scotland case was the one and only. How a Daubenton's bat could have
got from the extreme south of England into Scotland I have no idea.
I don't think it's possible. I suspect the poor man who died, being a
renowned bat expert may have offered his services in Europe and been bitten
there. Bats can and do bite if you handle them.
I think they are fantastic and fabulous creatures so that's why I titled my
post "Kind of sad" because I was very sorry that Boyfie had killed one.

Tweed

Old May 12th 13, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

And if there's anyone who's willing to worry about it, it's me.

Try not to. Even if you or your cats were bitten by a bat (and how likely is
that?) the likelihood of it having rabies is very small.

I know. I just have a genetic disposition to worrying. I don't lose much
sleep over rabid bats, though. If one got into the house, though it would
be a different matter.

I think they are fantastic and fabulous creatures so that's why I titled my
post "Kind of sad" because I was very sorry that Boyfie had killed one.

Yeah. That's one animal you *don't* want to go extinct.

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com
Old May 12th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

And if there's anyone who's willing to worry about it, it's me.

Try not to. Even if you or your cats were bitten by a bat (and how
likely is
that?) the likelihood of it having rabies is very small.

I know. I just have a genetic disposition to worrying.

No, you haven't.

I don't lose much
sleep over rabid bats, though. If one got into the house, though it would
be a different matter.

Even if a bat did get into your house - unlikely - just open the windows and
take yourself off to bed.

I think they are fantastic and fabulous creatures so that's why I titled
my
post "Kind of sad" because I was very sorry that Boyfie had killed one.

Yeah. That's one animal you *don't* want to go extinct.

Stops us being overwhelmed with flying insects. I really, really like
them - and almost everything else except Big Spiders.

Tweed

Old May 12th 13, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

When I first moved into my house, I put up four bat houses. I wanted to
attract them to control the insects. I didn't get a single one. I
think I am too far from water. Now I rely on hummingbirds to eat
mosquitos.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 13th 13, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 5/9/2013 10:58 PM, Takayuki wrote:

On Thu, 09 May 2013 19:37:52 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
He did say (bless his lovely heart) when I spread its wings out for him to
see how fabulous it was "I can see how difficult it would be to invent
those wings."

Indeed, it would be. Their wings are amazing. I'm not afraid of bats.
Granted, I don't want one in my house (BTDT). But I don't react as if
I'm starring in an early Dracula film if I see one. LOL

Everyone I've known who has seen a bat up-close admit that they're very
cute.

This time of year, they're hungry from having been hibernating all winter,
but insects aren't in full force yet. Probably some of them are going to be
too weakened to escape from a Boyfriend or other similarly fearsome
predator.

It won't be long before insects are in full force. 17 year cicadas.
Ick. I had to ask about this because we had a brood of them in 2004.
My brother said they were brood x or something and this is a different
one. So why in the world are they call 17 year cicadas? I don't care
what brood they are, they are pests.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

So kind wafflycat Cat anecdotes 9 March 4th 07 03:48 PM
There might be a new kind of cat toy around here Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 September 11th 05 02:57 PM
Such a kind cat wafflycat Cat anecdotes 7 June 1st 05 10:03 PM
What kind of cat to get? Camilla Cracchiolo Cat health & behaviour 207 August 31st 04 06:59 AM
OT kind of bunny_baby Cat anecdotes 4 August 22nd 03 10:49 AM