Hide and seek with a cat.

Old April 6th 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Hide and seek with a cat.

Swazzie is still hiding but keeps changing her hiding place. She did
eat some of her food and used the litter boxes for both pee and poop. I
haven't found her yet today and I have looked everywhere (obviously
almost everywhere!)

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 6th 13, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

Swazzie is still hiding but keeps changing her hiding place. She did
eat some of her food and used the litter boxes for both pee and poop. I
haven't found her yet today and I have looked everywhere (obviously
almost everywhere!)

---MIKE---

~~~~~~~~~~~~
She really should be confined to one room until she becomes comfortable in
her new home. That would also avoid problems such as this.

MaryL

Old April 6th 13, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/6/2013 11:17 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Swazzie is still hiding but keeps changing her hiding place. She did
eat some of her food and used the litter boxes for both pee and poop. I
haven't found her yet today and I have looked everywhere (obviously
almost everywhere!)

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Give her time, she'll show up. She's just getting used to her new home
and her new papa. That she's eating and using the box is a very good sign.

Jill

--
Have a good day unless you have other plans
Old April 6th 13, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

I finally found her. Using a three step ladder and a mirror, I found
her behind my furnace. I'm surprised the noise hasn't scared her out of
there. It would take a small child to reach her.

Old April 6th 13, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

Swazzie is still hiding but keeps changing her hiding place. She did
eat some of her food and used the litter boxes for both pee and poop. I
haven't found her yet today and I have looked everywhere (obviously
almost everywhere!)

---MIKE---

~~~~~~~~~~~~
She really should be confined to one room until she becomes comfortable
in her new home. That would also avoid problems such as this.

MaryL

Some of us don't have the luxury of that many separate rooms! (I have a
small one-bedroom apartment - the only closeable doors, other than the
one leading outdoors, are to the bedroom and bathroom, neither of which
would be practical as a place of confinement.) Anyway, if Swazzie is an
only cat, why not allow her freedom to explore all of her new
surroundings? So long as she is eating and using the litterbox, it's
only a matter of time until she feels secure enough to make friends -
let her do so at her own speed.
Old April 6th 13, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I finally found her. Using a three step ladder and a mirror, I found
her behind my furnace. I'm surprised the noise hasn't scared her out of
there. It would take a small child to reach her.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

***

Cats are good at finding hiding places. I know it's natural to want to know
where she is, but I suspect she'll stop hiding sooner if you stop hunting
her out. Several of my cats have spent most of their time hiding for the
first couple of weeks. After that, as long as they don't feel threatened,
they usually start exploring.

Joy

Old April 7th 13, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, that's true, and I certainly accept that. However, Mike was talking
about searching in various areas for her. He also has another cat, Tiger,
and that's one of the reasons I have recommended trying to find a way to
keep Swazzie in a separate room. If Swazzie is in a separate room for
awhile, Mike would know where she is and could more easily monitor her food
and water. I lived in a one-bedroom apartment when I got my first cat,
years ago. I did use my bedroom for awhile, but that might not work for
everyone. I think he may be worrying too much about what is probably normal
behavior for a lot of cats when they are first taken into a new home. Even
though Tiger does not seem to be disturbed, Swazzie will certainly be aware
of his presence (and the new hoomin) and may still be nervous about her new
environment.

MaryL

Old April 8th 13, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

I finally got Swazzie out from behind the furnace and blocked access to
that room with a "baby gate". I closed the bunk room door so the only
place she can hide is under my bed. If I get down on the floor and call
her, sometimes she will come to me so I can pet her Her food dish
hasn't gone down much but she has used the litter box.

Old April 8th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

I finally got Swazzie out from behind the furnace and blocked access to
that room with a "baby gate". I closed the bunk room door so the only
place she can hide is under my bed. If I get down on the floor and call
her, sometimes she will come to me so I can pet her Her food dish
hasn't gone down much but she has used the litter box.

---MIKE---

~~~~~~~~~
Mike, can you spend some time in the room with her but just sit quietly
instead of getting on the floor to look at her? Put some nice "smelly" food
in a bowl close to you, roll a ball gently around, use a feather on a stick
to attract her attention without making her feel that you are forcing it.
The fact that she sometimes comes out so you can pet her is a good sign of
progress.

MaryL