Ping Tweed

Old March 2nd 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Ping Tweed

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Blimey! You're a hard man, Adrian - you don't walk down the street in
the
snow with a tee-shirt and no coat on, do you? ;-)

Tweed

When I was 17, I lived across a field from where my aunt lives. One day,
when there was about a foot of snow, I walked across to her wearing just
pair of shorts. The look on her face was priceless. It seems as I get
older
I find heat more difficult to cope with.
--

I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

Okay, I just have to ask. What does tog stand for? Combined with the
number, it apparently relates to warmth, but I'm completely unfamiliar
with the term.

the higher the tog rating the warmer the duvet is. I don't actually know
what tog means. 15 suits me for a winter in a house with no central
heating.
Boyfie has a 13 tog in his bedroom but he sleeps on top of it and arranges
it around himself. He loves that duvet.
Tweed

Old March 2nd 12, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Blimey! You're a hard man, Adrian - you don't walk down the street in
the
snow with a tee-shirt and no coat on, do you? ;-)

Tweed

When I was 17, I lived across a field from where my aunt lives. One
day,
when there was about a foot of snow, I walked across to her wearing
just a
pair of shorts. The look on her face was priceless. It seems as I get
older
I find heat more difficult to cope with.
--
I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

Okay, I just have to ask. What does tog stand for? Combined with the
number, it apparently relates to warmth, but I'm completely unfamiliar
with the term.

the higher the tog rating the warmer the duvet is. I don't actually know
what tog means. 15 suits me for a winter in a house with no central
heating.
Boyfie has a 13 tog in his bedroom but he sleeps on top of it and arranges
it around himself. He loves that duvet.
Tweed

Do you know if it is related to the thickness, or the type of filling, or
what?

Joy

Old March 2nd 12, 09:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote
in message ...

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell"
wrote in message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Blimey! You're a hard man, Adrian - you don't walk down
the street in the
snow with a tee-shirt and no coat on, do you? ;-)

Tweed

When I was 17, I lived across a field from where my aunt
lives. One day,
when there was about a foot of snow, I walked across to her
wearing just a
pair of shorts. The look on her face was priceless. It
seems as I get older
I find heat more difficult to cope with.
--
I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

Okay, I just have to ask. What does tog stand for? Combined
with the number, it apparently relates to warmth, but I'm
completely unfamiliar with the term.

the higher the tog rating the warmer the duvet is. I don't
actually know what tog means. 15 suits me for a winter in a
house with no central heating.
Boyfie has a 13 tog in his bedroom but he sleeps on top of it
and arranges it around himself. He loves that duvet.
Tweed

Do you know if it is related to the thickness, or the type of
filling, or what?

It's a measure of the flow of heat through the material, and will
be affected by all of the above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tog_(unit)

--
MatSav

Old March 2nd 12, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

LOL I was actually born in Surrey.
--
Adrian
Old March 2nd 12, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Mar 2, 1:54*am, Adrian wrote:

LOL I was actually born in Surrey.

I think I saw you at Edgware Road tube station a couple of years
ago- mid january early evening- it was bloody cold (And I don;t feel
the cold so if I say it was bloody cold it was!) and a young guy
walked down the platform in a vest, shorts and wearing flip flops- I
concluded he'd lost a bet but perhaps it was you!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 2nd 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Lesley wrote:
On Mar 2, 1:54 am, Adrian wrote:

LOL I was actually born in Surrey.

I think I saw you at Edgware Road tube station a couple of years
ago- mid january early evening- it was bloody cold (And I don;t feel
the cold so if I say it was bloody cold it was!) and a young guy
walked down the platform in a vest, shorts and wearing flip flops- I
concluded he'd lost a bet but perhaps it was you!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I think it must be 40 years since I was last on the tube. 12 years since I
was last in London.
--
Adrian
Old March 3rd 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I think I saw you at Edgware Road tube station a couple of years
ago- mid january early evening- it was bloody cold (And I don;t feel
the cold so if I say it was bloody cold it was!) and a young guy
walked down the platform in a vest, shorts and wearing flip flops- I
concluded he'd lost a bet but perhaps it was you!

A few years ago I was on the ferry to Mull from Oban just before
Christmas. There had been a lot of snow and the temperature was
well below freezing - way colder than usual for that time of year,
Mull is nearly always windy but not often very cold in winter.
There were two German tourists on the ferry (which was nearly
empty), men of about 60 and 30, uncle and nephew. Both in shorts.
On a cycling holiday.

Old March 3rd 12, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MatSav" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. I wish that were used here for blankets, quilts and comforters. It
would be really nice to know how warm they will be.

Joy

Old March 3rd 12, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 02/03/2012 9:34 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
I think I saw you at Edgware Road tube station a couple of years
ago- mid january early evening- it was bloody cold (And I don;t feel
the cold so if I say it was bloody cold it was!) and a young guy
walked down the platform in a vest, shorts and wearing flip flops- I
concluded he'd lost a bet but perhaps it was you!

A few years ago I was on the ferry to Mull from Oban just before
Christmas. There had been a lot of snow and the temperature was
well below freezing - way colder than usual for that time of year,
Mull is nearly always windy but not often very cold in winter.
There were two German tourists on the ferry (which was nearly
empty), men of about 60 and 30, uncle and nephew. Both in shorts.
On a cycling holiday.

Only yesterday I saw a young man strolling down the sidewalk at about
-10C dressed in indoor clothing - he wasn't even wearing a sweater! This
was a rather extreme case, but I often seen inadequately clothed people
since I live and work near a high school, a junior high school and a
university. Some things haven't changed since I was a teenager, and one
of them is that a stylish teenager, especially one being dropped off at
school by a parent in a car, NEVER wears winter clothing. I once had a
friend who spend her entire clothing money for the academic year on a
very nice lightweight leather jacket, which she proceeded to wear all
winter, teeth chattering, swearing it was really warmer than it looked.

Only weird middle-aged or old ladies trudging along the sidewalk to the
bus or work wear warm jackets, woolly hat and mitts or gloves, slacks
(or a long coat that protects most of the legs) and heavy warm winter boots.

--
Cheryl
Old March 3rd 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

[...]

No, I don't. You can get different types of filling that can be the same
tog rating. The higher the tog the warmer it is.
15 tog, which I have is the warmest I can buy.
It can be very nippy upstairs here in the worst winter temperatures, 3C, as
a rough guide double it and add 30, so around 36F for a week at the top of
my stairs last month when I got up so likely to be the same in my bedroom.

I suspect Adrian has central heating, which is why he can sleep under a
lesser tog duvet in the winter.

Tweed

Ping: Tweed Mishi[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 December 15th 11 01:10 AM
OT - Ping Tweed CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 1 September 19th 11 09:18 PM
PING Tweed Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Ping Tweed CatNipped Cat anecdotes 73 April 30th 05 12:15 AM