Call it what it is: killed NOT euthanized

Old December 21st 03, 07:14 AM
Ray Ban

(Tracy) wrote in message om...
Everything is cheap or expensive, depending on your situation. Let's
see: a can of high quality cat food is about 80-90 cents where I live.
Twice a day that's $1.70 on the average -- around $50/month. Just for
food. Treats are extra. Some cats have ongoing problems so they need
prescriptions. Toys. Vet visits. It could add up. You could easily
spend $100/month average on a single cat. I'm sure a lot of people
spend more than that on their cats. For some people that's not cheap.
And you can minimize expenses by feeding your cat junk food (e.g.,
Friskies, 9-Lives), cut down on treats and vet visits, cut down on
medicine and just let it suffer a bit some days (anyway, they're good
at hiding pain).

Let's see ... indeed. My take on it: If it's a question of abandoning
an older cat to a kill-shelter situation (and I volunteer at a no-kill
and frankly, if a cat is over a year and a half old, it generally will
take a month or more to find an adoptive home - some are there for
several months - it's only the kittens that are easily placed), then I
could care less if someone feeds it Friskies or 9-lives for it's
entire existence. Kids grow up on crap too - in poor families. Love is
more important than organic produce.

Treats? Sure it's nice, but it isn't necessary for existence.

Toys? After buying all sorts of contraptions, I now understand that my
two cats far prefer milk rings to anything else - and they're FREE.
And a wood shelf bolted by a window with an old sweater on it IS a cat
perch.

Vet visits? Low-cost vet clinics are very present in most communities
and most cats really don't require anything more than a few booster
shots from time to time. I suppose some cats do develop complicated
medical situations, but not most and not all of the time.

Of course, it's nice to coddle both cats and children if you can
afford to do it, but if you can't, love and caring and emotional
generosity go a long way.

So your take on it is that it's impossible for anyone not to be able
to afford raising children and cats. We'll just have to disagree. I
guess you'd prefer to feed both your children and cats crap. While I
would prefer to feed my children, and if possible my cats, high
quality food. Yes, fresh vegetables and fruits are more expensive than
a happy meal, but I would want my children to haev fresh fruit and
vegetables. I also would want to be able to pay for medical insurance
should my children need medical care. Anyway, we'll just have to
disagree at this point.
Old December 21st 03, 02:53 PM
M.C. Mullen

| Everything is cheap or expensive, depending on your situation. Let's
| see: a can of high quality cat food is about 80-90 cents where I live.
| Twice a day that's $1.70 on the average -- around $50/month. Just for
| food. Treats are extra. Some cats have ongoing problems so they need
| prescriptions. Toys. Vet visits. It could add up. You could easily
| spend $100/month average on a single cat.

I don't even spend that in a year and the cat is being looked after well...
I mix premium food and good quality supermarket food half and half.
The cat cushion I sewed myself from leftover material.
With 8$ a month I can even buy some treats.
(Vet visits are excluded.)

Carola

Old December 22nd 03, 06:41 PM
Tracy

I guess you'd prefer to feed both your children and cats crap. While I
would prefer to feed my children, and if possible my cats, high
quality food. Yes, fresh vegetables and fruits are more expensive than
a happy meal, but I would want my children to haev fresh fruit and
vegetables. I also would want to be able to pay for medical insurance
should my children need medical care. Anyway, we'll just have to
disagree at this point.

Are you being accidentally obtuse or doing this on purpose?

Of course, I don't prefer to feed my two cats junk (and I don't). But
what is this "death before Friskies" cry? You really think that if
someone is so unfortunate as to genuinely need the $20/month
difference between good and bad food for a while, they should think,
"oh no, what horror - much better to tear the cat from it's home, put
it through the terror and trauma of being locked in a cage, and then a
trip to the gas chamber - rather than having one morsel of that junk
hit it's precious lips".

At the point that thought goes through one's head, it is probably best
to see a psychiatrist.

And not that it matters much, but here where I live, fresh fruits and
vegetables from a Farmer's Market are much cheaper than Happy Meals
and health insurance is available to all young children from the state
at very low-cost throught the Healthy Families Program.
Old December 22nd 03, 07:46 PM
Ray Ban

"M.C. Mullen" wrote in message ...
| Everything is cheap or expensive, depending on your situation. Let's
| see: a can of high quality cat food is about 80-90 cents where I live.
| Twice a day that's $1.70 on the average -- around $50/month. Just for
| food. Treats are extra. Some cats have ongoing problems so they need
| prescriptions. Toys. Vet visits. It could add up. You could easily
| spend $100/month average on a single cat.

I don't even spend that in a year and the cat is being looked after well...
I mix premium food and good quality supermarket food half and half.
The cat cushion I sewed myself from leftover material.
With 8$ a month I can even buy some treats.
(Vet visits are excluded.)

You don't spend $100 a year to care for your cat? I live in the US and
there's no way you can spend less. Consider yourself lucky.
Old December 29th 03, 06:51 PM
Ray Ban

(Tracy) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Actually, the difference in crap food (.30/can) and premium food
(.90/can) is about $40/month FOR EACH CAT. Yes, better they go to
other homes where they can get good food rather than poison/crap food.
As Sting said, if you love somebody, set them free. Don't try to keep
them for your own selfish reasons at the expense of their health.

At the point that thought goes through one's head, it is probably best
to see a psychiatrist.

And not that it matters much, but here where I live, fresh fruits and
vegetables from a Farmer's Market are much cheaper than Happy Meals
and health insurance is available to all young children from the state
at very low-cost throught the Healthy Families Program.

There are no cheap farmer's market and cheap insurance where I live.
Please do us a favor and tell us where you live.
Old December 30th 03, 05:29 AM
M.C. Mullen

| Of course, I don't prefer to feed my two cats junk (and I don't). But
| what is this "death before Friskies" cry? You really think that if
| someone is so unfortunate as to genuinely need the $20/month
| difference between good and bad food for a while, they should think,
| "oh no, what horror - much better to tear the cat from it's home, put
| it through the terror and trauma of being locked in a cage, and then a
| trip to the gas chamber - rather than having one morsel of that junk
| hit it's precious lips".
|
| Actually, the difference in crap food (.30/can) and premium food
| (.90/can) is about $40/month FOR EACH CAT. Yes, better they go to
| other homes where they can get good food rather than poison/crap food.
| As Sting said, if you love somebody, set them free. Don't try to keep
| them for your own selfish reasons at the expense of their health.

My vet says - and he is a capacity around here - that as far as wet food is
concerned it doesn't matter what you feed. I myself have noticed that a lot
of tinned cat food contains sugar and I try and avoid that. (Of course cat
likes the sugary ones better...)
But with dry food there *is* a difference, and it matters what we feed the
pets.

Carola

Old January 4th 04, 11:22 PM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Ray Ban wrote:
Well, it's not that simple. Suppose I have a cat. Now a baby arrives.
I can't afford to feed and care for both. Who should go? In some
cases, it takes much more than just a little bit of thought and a

If you were that tight on money, why the hell did you have a baby in the
first place?!!!!! Honestly... if having a baby makes it so you can't even
afford to feed the cat, you really don't have enough money to have the
baby anyways beccause you don't have enough money for even the slightest
thing to go wrong. Babies (and health problems and whatnot) are a lot more
expensive than a cat.

I'd say if you were int hat position, you werne't a responsible person and
I feel sorry for both baby and cat that they were in such an irresponsible
person's care that they couldn't wait until they truly could afford the
baby.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old January 4th 04, 11:25 PM

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Ray Ban wrote:
Everything is cheap or expensive, depending on your situation. Let's
see: a can of high quality cat food is about 80-90 cents where I live.
Twice a day that's $1.70 on the average -- around $50/month. Just for

Guess what? I feed my cat's Nutro dry food. Not cheapo food. It costs me
at most 30 dollars for *2* months.

Seriously, even with the costs you are saying, if the baby makes your
money that tight, you cannot afford the baby. 50 dollars can easily be
eaten up if your baby ends up having even a common health problem. Shoot,
it probably can easily be taken up just by the added health insurance (if
you can even afford it... most are more expensive for one person than 50
dollars a month) the baby will give you.

once again, I state that if you are in the position you hypothosize, you
should have had some forethought and used birth control!

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.