Prefers to eat when I'm by it's food bowl - why ?

Old March 4th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats

Default Prefers to eat when I'm by it's food bowl - why ?

My cat prefers to eat when I'm nearby the bowl doing stuff in the
kitchen. Is it just the fact that he attaches me going in the kitchen
with food ? He always has food in the bowl - he ignores it most of the
time I'm at home and just seems to eat it when I'm in the kitchen.
When I'm out or asleep he eats though.

Daytona

Old March 4th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats

Daytona wrote:
My cat prefers to eat when I'm nearby the bowl doing stuff in the
kitchen. Is it just the fact that he attaches me going in the kitchen
with food ? He always has food in the bowl - he ignores it most of the
time I'm at home and just seems to eat it when I'm in the kitchen.
When I'm out or asleep he eats though.

I've had many a cat who prefers company while they eat.

But then I hate to eat alone too.

Old March 5th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats

"Daytona" wrote in message
My cat prefers to eat when I'm nearby the bowl doing stuff in the
kitchen. Is it just the fact that he attaches me going in the kitchen
with food ? He always has food in the bowl - he ignores it most of the
time I'm at home and just seems to eat it when I'm in the kitchen.
When I'm out or asleep he eats though.

Daytona

Stinky does the same thing. Sometimes she just wants company, and she'll
come and get me in my office and lead me back to her food bowl. When she
sees that I'm going to stay, she eats.

--
Liz

Old March 5th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats

Jay Jay prefers company. I'm don't know his previous history, other
than he was showing up at a house for meals.

He likes to eat a lot of small meals with me there. He also likes to
have a lot of food in the bowl. When it gets down to 10 kibbles or so,
he looks sad and waits for me to add more.

He also likes to have company when he drinks.

He's my social eater

Old March 5th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote:

"Daytona" wrote in message
.. .
My cat prefers to eat when I'm nearby the bowl doing stuff in the
kitchen. Is it just the fact that he attaches me going in the kitchen
with food ? He always has food in the bowl - he ignores it most of the
time I'm at home and just seems to eat it when I'm in the kitchen.
When I'm out or asleep he eats though.

Daytona

Stinky does the same thing. Sometimes she just wants company, and she'll
come and get me in my office and lead me back to her food bowl. When she
sees that I'm going to stay, she eats.

Perhaps because they no longer need to hunt to get food, they don't
feel right about it being given to them without effort - they feel
they need to perform some activity before they are worthy of their
food ? Kind of activity-food-sleep-activity-food-sleep....... It's
just in the 21st century the activity has become a token, divorced
from reality.

Daytona
Old March 6th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats

"Daytona" schreef in bericht
My cat prefers to eat when I'm nearby the bowl doing stuff in the
kitchen. Is it just the fact that he attaches me going in the kitchen
with food ? He always has food in the bowl - he ignores it most of the
time I'm at home and just seems to eat it when I'm in the kitchen.
When I'm out or asleep he eats though.

Daytona

Hi Daytona,

I've got the same thing here. I've got three cats.
1 is diabetic, alrready for 6 years, but doing great.
But he needs to eat at regular times together with his injection.
That means 0700 and 1900 hours.
He always goes to his own spot, he knows when it is time. But he eats
faraway the best when i'm
busy in the kichten.
Meaning, if i've got nothing to wash up or so, i just leave the tap running
and hovering
around a bit so that he eats well.
Ans when i stop the tap, he stops eating, saying: right I'm finished !
haven't got a cleu, but it work for me and Brandy mel.
The other 2 don't give a hoot.
Bye for now,
Wendy