another question-this time about getting a dog

Old July 22nd 03, 08:33 PM
kate

Default another question-this time about getting a dog

My husband and I are getting a little aby kitten, and then we are
thinking we might want a puppy. The puppy would mostly be my husbands
dog. We are looking for a dog that has a mellow disposition, medium
sized to large, and won't bark too much when my husband is gone for
the day. He works for 5 hours daily, and the dog would have to be with
the cat during the day. I will be in my office all day, but the dog
will not be allowed there. Any advice on which kind of dog might be
best for us? We have a relatively big house with a yrd and we are
going to crate train and do obediance school. We definitely want a dog
who can get along with cats, too. Advice on breeds?
Old July 23rd 03, 02:04 AM
Kalyahna

"kate" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I are getting a little aby kitten, and then we are
thinking we might want a puppy. The puppy would mostly be my husbands
dog. We are looking for a dog that has a mellow disposition, medium
sized to large, and won't bark too much when my husband is gone for
the day. He works for 5 hours daily, and the dog would have to be with
the cat during the day. I will be in my office all day, but the dog
will not be allowed there. Any advice on which kind of dog might be
best for us? We have a relatively big house with a yrd and we are
going to crate train and do obediance school. We definitely want a dog
who can get along with cats, too. Advice on breeds?

I'd suggest checking at your local humane society, or with local rescue
organizations. Breed doesn't always matter; not ever border collie wants to
herd, not every lab loves to play ball. At least at a shelter or in rescue,
there should be people who can tell you what they know about a dog's
personality. Chances are, if you're patient, you can find a dog that's
already lived with cats, possibly one that's already crate-trained.

I do say "dog" instead of puppy intentionally. There are a lot of strays and
even surrendered animals out there that need a good home. So please, don't
simply deny the possibility of an adult. Besides. At least most adults are
completely housebroken. ;P

Old July 23rd 03, 12:43 PM
Iain & Deb

In article
,
says...
My husband and I are getting a little aby kitten, and then we are
thinking we might want a puppy. The puppy would mostly be my husbands
dog. We are looking for a dog that has a mellow disposition, medium
sized to large, and won't bark too much when my husband is gone for
the day. He works for 5 hours daily, and the dog would have to be with
the cat during the day. I will be in my office all day, but the dog
will not be allowed there. Any advice on which kind of dog might be
best for us? We have a relatively big house with a yrd and we are
going to crate train and do obediance school. We definitely want a dog
who can get along with cats, too. Advice on breeds?

Your local humane society probably has lots of dogs that
would suit you perfectly well. Personally, I like mixed
breeds (fewer inbreeding health issues). You'll probably be
able to find a dog that has lived with cats before, but in
any case the introduction should be slow and careful; dogs
sometimes kill kittens and cats.

We had a mutt (he was a terrier cross, we never knew his
ancestry) who we took in because someone left him tied to my
sister's porch. At about four months of age, he was easy to
introduce to our cats, and they got along alright (some of
the cats actually liked him!).

By the way "mellow disposition" and "won't bark too much"
are crap-shoots no matter what kind of dog you get, from my
experience. I also agree with Megan, that you'd be much
better off taking one of the many kittens available at the
humane society; if you can't get your deposit back, consider
taking a second kitten from the H.S. anyway - I've always
found that cats socialize better when there's more than one
in the house.

Hope this helps,
Deb

--
My basic principle is that you don't make decisions because
they are easy; you don't make them because they are cheap;

Theodore Hesburgh

Old July 23rd 03, 02:16 PM
Sherry

By the way "mellow disposition" and "won't bark too much"
are crap-shoots no matter what kind of dog you get, from my
experience.

True, and even more true with cats.Just because a cat's breed standards dictate
the cat will act a certain way doesn't mean it will. So what other reason does
anyone buy a cat? Because they like a certain coat pattern/color. That sort of
suggests you're buying a "designer cat". Even worse are people who buy the
"trend cats" -- thanks to the movies, persians and siamese, or spynx,
especially. Honestly, Megan's post, or Deb's, is not condemning. We just don't
get it. Why, or how, anyone could actually pay money, even get on a waiting
list, when so many, many healthy kittens die every day at shelters. There's no
way a person can't find the perfect moggie at a shelter if they'll just look. I
used to think I wanted a Balinese, and when we seized kittens from a kitten
mill, I got my chance and nabbed one. When I'm feeling very pretentious, I call
hiim a "Balinese." But we get masked cats at the shelter, even kittens, all the
time, and you can't tell the difference!

Sherry

Old July 23rd 03, 05:25 PM

Iain & Deb wrote:
Your local humane society probably has lots of dogs that
would suit you perfectly well. Personally, I like mixed
breeds (fewer inbreeding health issues). You'll probably be

Depends on what breeder you get them from and if they are actually trying
to get healthy, well balanced dogs along with the standard or just trying
to breed the dog and not caring about what they breed in.

That being said, there are a lot of rescues for purebreds so one can go
there and rescue a dog and still get a breed (here in Seattle we have
Seattle Purebreed Dog rescue that covers a lot of breeds).

I'd get a dog that was fostered somewhere as they'll know the personality
of the dog best vs one that is jsut stuck in a shelter (the best they can
do there is bring it into the cat area and see if he pays any attention to
the cats, I don't really think that would make me feel comfortable enough
that the dog would be ok with cats, but then I have a case where I have to
get a dog excellent with cats as I've got a cat taht is going to be hard
enough to get to be at best ok with the dog).

By the way "mellow disposition" and "won't bark too much"
are crap-shoots no matter what kind of dog you get, from my
experience. I also agree with Megan, that you'd be much

Not really. Don't get Beagles, don't get hounds, don't get dogs with those
types of breeds in them, don't get dauschounds (sp?), and already you have
at least gotten away from the dgos that will bark and bark and bark
inherantly (it bugs me people who are getting barking collars that shock
their dogs cause tehy have a beagle in their apartment... did they do any
research before getting that dog?! Or they'd know a beagle is not a good
apartment dog, they bark for the fun of it and they have very loud
barks).

There's even a barkless dog, the Basenji, but I woudln't recomend that dog
to just anyone. Cna be a true troublemaker.

But yes, when talking any breeds, there are exceptions cause in the end
they are all individuals. But yes, breeds do tend to have certain types of
personalities (Pitbulls are highly energetic people dogs, Pugs love
attention, Huskies tend to like to run and dig, Labs *love* treats...I
swear of any dog that's almost taken my hand with them getting treats,
almost all have been labs).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.