OT I got a question

Old March 9th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT I got a question

yes there is http://www.firechemicals.com/
On 2006-03-08, Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) penned:
This is for all you folks here in the US. How many of you have
already made Hurricane Plans and preparations

A poll made it to newspaper today

Among people preparing for a hurricane, 18 percent said they were
assembling an emergency kit and buying basic supplies such as water,
canned food and batteries, making that the most popular response.

Seven percent of respondents said they had prepared their homes for
a hurricane by installing special shutters or doors or making other
upgrades; 5 percent said they had purchased a portable generator or
installed an emergency generator.

Not I. But I think the likelihood of a hurricane hitting Colorado is
pretty slim ...

The main disaster risk around here seems to be forest fire, and I
don't think there's much you can do about that other than leave.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 9th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thanks MaryL, I'll look it up.
My DH says that he knows of who to ask for sources of hand-cranked
radios and torches (how about that for a round-about route to
information!), so I have him "on the job" to locate them.

Tish

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:15:44 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Tish" wrote in message
roups.com...
top posting:
Out of interest, does anyone know where I might be able to get such
things in Australia? Sydney, if possible? We do not face a hurricane
risk, but we have a fairly severe bushfire risk, for which the
post-event survival preparations would be almost the same as for a
hurricane. I would like to have such a glow-in-the-dark survival kit
and the hand-crank equipment you mentioned.

Cheers,
Tish

I don't have any information about Australia, but your comment about
bushfire risk reminded me of an iterm I have seen advertised. It is a very
light-weight fire-resistant blanket that supposedly will protect a person
(at least for awhile) in the path of a fire. I have never actually seen one
and cannot even tell you where to locate it -- but an Internet search might
turn up some results, if you are interested. I have also been thinking
about some of our friends in Oklahoma (such as Sherry), who have been faced
with a number of wildfires.

MaryL

Old March 9th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
news
http://www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site.../product/EE37C
it is called a fire blanket it is what firefighters use to wrap a person
in when exiting burning building or to smother fires
good investment to have in your car for emergencies

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of a blanket to "protect" someone from
fire, while this one is apparently used to wrap around someone to "put out"
a fire. Can it be used for both purposes?

MaryL

Old March 9th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Both are fire retardant
I think I know which blanket you are talking about it was original put out
there if a forest fire came you could wrap it around you and survive. I
think it was taken of the market due to there was no way to completely
protect your self not sure I will keep looking

Old March 10th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
Both are fire retardant
I think I know which blanket you are talking about it was original put
out there if a forest fire came you could wrap it around you and survive.
I think it was taken of the market due to there was no way to completely
protect your self not sure I will keep looking

Yes, that's the one. It had a shiny metallic look to it. I'm going to order
one (or maybe two) of the other blanket you linked to, though, if someone
doesn't locate the "forest fire" blanket. The news reports I saw indicated
that it was specifically made so that a person could curl up underneath it
in the event that they were trapped by a fire. Maybe the original blanket
you mentioned would actually be more practical, though, because my idea was
simply to have a blanket that would give some person to a person trying to
*escape* from a fire (such as a burning house) -- *with* my cats. So, it
would need to be flexible enough to wrap around the body.

MaryL

Old March 10th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
news
http://www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site.../product/EE37C
it is called a fire blanket it is what firefighters use to wrap a person
in when exiting burning building or to smother fires
good investment to have in your car for emergencies

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of a blanket to "protect" someone
from fire, while this one is apparently used to wrap around someone to
"put out" a fire. Can it be used for both purposes?

MaryL

Most likely. Here (australia) a pure wool blanket is recommended to wrap
around yourself in case of becoming stuck in your car in front of the fire.

Old March 10th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:56:28 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
wrote in message
m...
[...]

If, heavens forbid, you ever find yourself in such a situation,
remember to stay low enough to avoid the worst of the smoke. If I
remember correctly, there are more casualties from smoke inhalation
than there are from burns. Certain plastics produce particularly
toxic smoke.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 10th 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
You wet a rag or towel and wrap it around your head and face it helps with
the fumes

Yes, that's the advice I was always given -- and also to stay low to the
ground, as John said. All of this depends on whether we can really keep our
wits about us in the event of an emergency such as a fire, of course.

MaryL