Brown recluse got me

Old July 18th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Worried about Pat Was: UPDATE Brown recluse got me

Victor Martinez wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Oh please. That's just what she wants you to do... worry about her.
She doesn't worry about herself, so why should you? I've finally
accepted she's a major drama queen.

That's not a nice thing to say.

I know, but I'm tired of hearing her whine. It's like listening to a crying
kindergartener. If it's not this problem it's another. Hey, we all have
problems. I don't let mine endanger my health and exponentially that of my
pets.

Old July 18th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Adrian A wrote:
Susan M wrote:
I'm worried about Pat now. Ping Pat!!!

I'm worried as well. I haven't posted anything to this thread before because
as others have said Pat won't listen to any advice, but I certainly wouldn't
wish any harm to come to her.

Pat is doing fine. I have exchanged e-mails with her and she is not
having problems due to the spider bite.

I don't have a problem with her having asked for references to home
treatments for venomous spider bites. I personally wouldn't dream of any
treatment other than a trip to the hospital, but I know a few people who
do successfully treat most (if not all) of their injuries and illnesses
using home (homeopathic and herbal) methods.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have recommended in e-mail that
she click "Ignore thread" on this thread. She is treating her injury in
the manner she finds most appropriate, and she has made arrangements for
the care of her kitties if she should become critically injured.
Everybody please lighten up a bit - we *are* talking about a fellow
cat-lover here.

Dan
Old July 18th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Adrian A wrote:
Susan M wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and when she winds up in the hospital two weeks from now like Pam did
then what are we supposed to do? Lighten up? (sigh) Doesn't matter if she
loves cats or not. This isn't something that will manifest itself in a day
or two.

Jill

Old July 18th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Dan wrote:

Pat is doing fine. She is not having
problems due to the spider bite.

If this is the case then the spider was probably not a brown recluse.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 18th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Jul 18, 2007, Daniel Mahoney wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I have recommended in e-mail that
she click "Ignore thread" on this thread. She is treating her injury in
the manner she finds most appropriate, and she has made arrangements for
the care of her kitties if she should become critically injured.
Everybody please lighten up a bit - we *are* talking about a fellow
cat-lover here.

Well then maybe it was at your suggestion that she stopped responding here,
but you must understand that, with the outpouring of concern that people
expressed over a potentially lethal bite, the fact that she became silent
only heightened the concern of those who tried to help.

The information you just now provided *should* have been provided -- by Pat
herself -- days ago, to alleviate the concern of those people who care.

As for me, I'm as light as I can be: as I said in the other thread, she is
her own custodian and she will live her life as she sees fit and suffer or
enjoy the consequences of her decisions.

--
Joey Dee from NYC

Remember: It is To Laugh

a few Ketzl pix
http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old July 18th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

Pat is doing fine. She is not having
problems due to the spider bite.

If this is the case then the spider was probably not a brown recluse.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

This has actually been Pat's pattern -- post a message about a problem,
ignore all advice and say it won't work for her, and then suddenly
disappear.

MaryL

Old July 18th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:16:32 -0400, Takayuki
wrote:

"Susan M" wrote:
I'm worried about Pat now. Ping Pat!!!

I just spoke with Pat on the phone to make sure she's all right, and
she sounds like she's okay. She says that if anything serious did
happen with the bite, she would have gone to the hospital right away,
but the swelling has gone down, and it's getting better.

I actually wasn't as worried as that time a couple of years ago when
she hit her head on the bathtub, since she posted this morning, but
after what happened to Pam, I wanted to confirm.

Glad to hear it... hopefully it wasn't a brown recluse after all, and
just a regular spider... I hope she'll continue to keep a CLOSE eye on
the bite for the next few weeks to make sure that it really IS healing
up okay and not just pretending to...
Old July 18th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

. ..

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

Pat is doing fine. She is not having
problems due to the spider bite.

If this is the case then the spider was probably not a brown recluse.

Most spider bites are not Brown Recluse spider bites.

Many brown recluse spider bites produce little or no reaction.

Problem is when there is a reaction.

It can be almost immediate and systemic and life threatening. This is rare.

There is no anti venom in the US for the toxin. Treatment consists mostly
of support for any allergic reaction and prevention or care of any residual
infection.

There can but not always will be tissue necrosis at the bite site. This can
take a few days. There is the more common danger. Tissue necrosis provides
a point of entry for some of the worst bacteria on the planet. It enters
where the body isn't healing itself anyway and really digs in. This is
where it can get ugly. The victim can get very ill, very fast. To the
point where they cannot get help for themselves.

So I'm hoping it wasn't a recluse, or it wasn't a high toxin bite or that
Pat has little or no reaction. And the odds are very good for those
outcomes.

Trouble is while the odds are against a reaction like Pam's, the down side
of a reaction like that is huge.

Jo

Old July 18th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda[_3_]

MaryL wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

Pat is doing fine. She is not having
problems due to the spider bite.

If this is the case then the spider was probably not a brown recluse.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

This has actually been Pat's pattern -- post a message about a problem,
ignore all advice and say it won't work for her, and then suddenly
disappear.

MaryL

Yes, she is very dramatic.

Rhonda

Old July 18th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Victor Martinez wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Oh please. That's just what she wants you to do... worry about her. She
doesn't worry about herself, so why should you? I've finally accepted
she's
a major drama queen.

That's not a nice thing to say.

No, it's not - but apparently it is true!