Cat Dandruff

Old July 11th 11, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Cat Dandruff

Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. I'm wondering if there is
any commercial product to help alleviate it. It doesn't seem to bother her
but it bothers me She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. I called her vet and she
suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. Uh huh. Like pilling a cat is any
easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the cats
food. But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. Keep in mind,
Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up there. She's
14 by my best guess. I don't really know.

Jill

Old July 11th 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 11, 11:19*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. *I'm wondering if there is
any commercial product to help alleviate it. *It doesn't seem to bother her
but it bothers me *She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. *I called her vet and she
suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. *Uh huh. *Like pilling a cat is any
easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the cats
food. *But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. *Keep in mind,
Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up there. *She's
14 by my best guess. *I don't really know.

Jill

If this is any help at all ((either statement) if she has any
arthritis at all she may be having a
little trouble *grooming* her lower back (spine stretching and neck
pulling to lick back there)
so it may be just concentrated *dander*.
I have seen (but paid no attention to) some kinda wipes you can clean
cats with in PetsMart
where all the cat accessories are. If you can't find them, maybe human
baby wipes would
do the trick?? Diggin in to her skin with the wipe, not just wiping
her fur.
Like Persia, lower back is a challenge for ageing hoomins, but unlike
cats, we have (well, I
have) a flashy neon blue Playboy Pet long-handled back brush.
Opposable thumbs.
Old July 11th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. I'm wondering if there
is any commercial product to help alleviate it. It doesn't seem to
bother her but it bothers me She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. I called her vet and
she suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. Uh huh. Like pilling a cat is
any easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the
cats food. But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. Keep in
mind, Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up
there. She's 14 by my best guess. I don't really know.

Cendrillon, my short-hair tuxedo kitty, has dandruff (along with loose,
shedding fur). I imagine grooming might help, but neither of my cats
will put up with brushing. Arizona has a VERY dry climate, which may
well account for dry skin problems, even in indoor cats (although my
cats drink a lot more water than I do). If you find a solution, please
share it here.
Old July 11th 11, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

hopitus wrote:
[...]

Funny, although I've noticed Melisande (my fifteen-year old long-haired
cat) often has difficulty settling into a reclining position on the
floor (clearly the result of arthritis), she seems to have no trouble
reaching everywhere for grooming. Also, although she may frequently
limp a little, she's limber enough running, jumping and climbing, when
she and Cendrillon are playing together.
Old July 11th 11, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 11, 12:19*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. *I'm wondering if there is
any commercial product to help alleviate it. *It doesn't seem to bother her
but it bothers me *She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. *I called her vet and she
suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. *Uh huh. *Like pilling a cat is any
easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the cats
food. *But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. *Keep in mind,
Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up there. *She's
14 by my best guess. *I don't really know.

Jill

Cherokee had dandruff in the same spot. I used to brush him, then
roll
a lint roller down his back and that would eliminate the flakes (for a
while).
I always thought it was his age, and he was a big cat anyway, so his
ability to groom himself wasn't as good.

Sherry
Old July 11th 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. I'm wondering if there is
any commercial product to help alleviate it. It doesn't seem to bother her
but it bothers me She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. I called her vet and she
suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. Uh huh. Like pilling a cat is any
easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the cats
food. But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. Keep in mind,
Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up there. She's
14 by my best guess. I don't really know.

Jill
- - - - - - - - - - -

You could break or pierce an Omega3 capsule and squeeze the contents onto
Persia's food. That way, she would eat the nutrients with her food and
would not have to be pilled.

Hopitus has described a common problem with older cats. It's exactly what
happened to Holly. She is remarkably agile, but she suddenly developed
dandruff on her lower back. My vet took a flea comb (small plastic comb
with tines very close together) and began to comb her in that area. I was
amazed at the amount of "junk" that came out with that simple procedure.
The problem was just what Hop described--Holly was not grooming herself as
well in that area. She was 14 or 15 years when this first occurred.

MaryL

Old July 12th 11, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 7/11/2011 1:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. I'm wondering if there
is any commercial product to help alleviate it. It doesn't seem to
bother her but it bothers me She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. I called her vet and
she suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. Uh huh. Like pilling a cat is
any easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the
cats food. But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. Keep in
mind, Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up
there. She's 14 by my best guess. I don't really know.

Jill

do the Omega3 - IIRC, they are liquid filled capsules, and you can use a
pin to prick them open and squirt it on her food (or in her mouth).

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old July 12th 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
On 7/11/2011 1:19 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. I'm wondering if there
is any commercial product to help alleviate it. It doesn't seem to
bother her but it bothers me She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. I called her vet and
she suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. Uh huh. Like pilling a cat is
any easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the
cats food. But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. Keep in
mind, Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up
there. She's 14 by my best guess. I don't really know.

Jill

do the Omega3 - IIRC, they are liquid filled capsules, and you can use a
pin to prick them open and squirt it on her food (or in her mouth).

I found a bottle of fish oil (not capsules) on the Drs Foster/Smith web
site. It's called Vitacoat and it's Omega 6, not Omega 3. Bacon flavoured,
if you can believe that! LOL I seem to remember that's where I ordered the
oil I drizzled on her food in the past. I'll let everyone know how/if it
works.

And thanks to everyone for the other suggestions. Yes, I do brush her
regularly (she LOVES being brushed!). There's also a Petsmart that opened
up about 20 miles from here. That's not an unmanageable drive to look for
the wipes if need be. And yes, she's a large cat so her reaching to groom
her back (also due to arthritis given her age) may be difficult.

As I said, it's not that the dandruff bothers her. It just doesn't look
very attractive. And she's got such pretty silky fur. The vet says she's
got the softest fur she's ever felt... like a rabbit

Jill

Old July 12th 11, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 12, 7:46*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in ...

[...]

Flea comb MaryL mentioned might be a cheap investment also; to comb
and dislodge
dander at that spot. Fleas don't like to live @ altitude of 6242 feet
and Snag'd "out" is
our top floor deck here, so I have no flea comb anyway. Shelter gave
Snag an age of
"over ten" when I adopted him there.....and he has the telltale black
iris eye "spot"....
but huge as he is, rips through the apt. like a kitten and grooms
himself all over with
no apparent difficulty. He loves his Zoom Groom sessions and we get
rid of lots of
loose fur; wonder if it would loosen dander too.
Old July 12th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:19:43 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Persia has developed dandruff on her lower back. I'm wondering if there is
any commercial product to help alleviate it. It doesn't seem to bother her
but it bothers me She's got such pretty blue-grey fur

It was suggested I give her a bath... yeah, right. I called her vet and she
suggested Omega3 fish oil capsules. Uh huh. Like pilling a cat is any
easier than giving one a bath. LOL

I seem to remember getting a bottle of oil that you could squirt on the cats
food. But when I moved here it somehow got thrown away. Keep in mind,
Persia eats r/x food for bladder issues and she's getting up there. She's
14 by my best guess. I don't really know.

Jill

Scouty tends to get dandruff on her back... it doesn't seem to bother
her. I know Persia's on a restricted diet of mostly kibble - she may
not have enough oils in it for good skin health. Add it to her food.
It can't hurt... They also sell it in a tube as 'kitty vitamins'. Cats
are 'supposed' to love it but Scouty wouldn't touch it with a barge
pole. If all else fails, give her tuna juice from canned tuna. THAT
Scouty will happily lap up.

How should i remove dandruff? Loving Pets Cat health & behaviour 1 December 7th 08 03:41 PM
Dandruff jmcquown Cat anecdotes 5 October 2nd 07 09:53 PM
Kitty dandruff? Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 12 August 9th 06 05:18 PM
Cat Dandruff andy749 Cat health & behaviour 5 October 1st 05 04:14 AM
Dandruff? Christina Cat health & behaviour 45 January 18th 04 03:00 PM