OT I got a question

Old March 9th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT I got a question

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:

This is for all you folks here in the US. How many of you have already made
Hurricane Plans and preparations

Well, we don't very often GET hurricanes in Southern
California :-), but most of us here with families have made
some sort of emergency plans in case of earthquake.

It kind of depends upon your living arrangements (house,
apartment, whatever) and whether you have a family. I've
always thought of my car as an alternate lving space if the
building got trashed - until we had a power failure (not
earthquake connected) and I discovered that without power to
open the apartment's subterranean garage door, the car would
have to stay where it was!

Old March 9th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I used this group before there batteries last a good while not good with
high powered electronics such as digital cameras
http://www.homier.com/searchresults.asp

lucky I had a house generator and solar power. The generator we could not
get propane for after Francis no one had any had to rely on solar power so
no air conditioning (*&^%#^@#$*^&@#$#%^$%$#^$%#^&$%#&^$)( If you live in
Florida you know what that meant). I have upgrade since than to have storm
shutters, more solar batteries and an extra large tank for the home
generator. Due to the stores that I own I had to buy several of those
full size military style trailer diesel generators ( Don't ask how much they
were FEMA would not reinverse me for them; the low life's!!! ) to run the
food coolers and to run the shelters needs. We upgrade this year already
and can survive in comfort if anything happens. The crews are working on
the shelter upgrading to a higher rating they should be done way before the
season fingers crossed

roughly about these for us with no power

Charley 13 days
Francis 11 days
Ivan 7 days
Jeanne rattle the power lines

Everyone instead of using canned foods which means you need a can opener
and maybe a way to cook the food.

Everyone should use MRE ( meals ready to eat ) something like these they
have a 5 year shelf life and they are not half bad either

http://www.snappysupply.com/Merchant...de=dis_rations

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
Seven percent of respondents said they had prepared their homes for a
hurricane by installing special shutters or doors or making other
upgrades; 5 percent said they had purchased a portable generator or
installed an emergency generator.

We're too far away to be seriously affected. All we really need is a
portable generator to keep the fish alive.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

We were never impacted by a hurricane until this year (again, pretty far
inland -- about 140 miles north of Houston). This time, Rita did a fair
amount of damage in our town, but *nothing* to compare to areas south of
us. In fact, we had a considerable number of evacuees from both Rita and
Katrina, and the Expo Center was set up as a shelter for animals. Even
so, I think an emergency kit is a good idea, and I already had some basic
supplies set aside (as I described in another post). My concern has
always been more about possible tornadoes, fires, etc. -- never a great
fear, but just a good idea to be prepared. When we were without power for
7 days after Rita went through, I also learned how *many* batteries are
needed. I went through a huge number for portable fans and lights.
Anyone who had not purchased batteries in advance simply had to go without
for the entire time because *every* battery disappeared off store shelves.

MaryL

Old March 9th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
. ..
This is for all you folks here in the US. How many of you have already
made Hurricane Plans and preparations

A poll made it to newspaper today

Among people preparing for a hurricane, 18 percent said they were
assembling an emergency kit and buying basic supplies such as water,
canned food and batteries, making that the most popular response.

Seven percent of respondents said they had prepared their homes for a
hurricane by installing special shutters or doors or making other
upgrades; 5 percent said they had purchased a portable generator or
installed an emergency generator.

Argh!! Well we're in North Queensland, Australia, but we're hitting
hurricane season too. We aren't anywhere near ready. The list off all the
stuff you need is so huge, and our finances so restricted, that we just
can't get it all ready. The best I am doing is making sure we have enough
tinned food, some bottled water, animal food, and next week I am getting
both gas bottles filled. We haven't had a really bad one here for years,
only a few days power supply down, and our house is above flood damage
level. However as it's been a few years since a bad one, that means a bad
one can hit any time. I'm keeping lots of newspapers in case we have to
bring the d** things inside too! It's interesting seeing what you are all
doing. If a bad one hits, it's either us or Darwin that'll cop it, depending
upon which side of the continent it develops on.

Old March 9th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tish" wrote in message
oups.com...
top posting:
Out of interest, does anyone know where I might be able to get such
things in Australia? Sydney, if possible? We do not face a hurricane
risk, but we have a fairly severe bushfire risk, for which the
post-event survival preparations would be almost the same as for a
hurricane. I would like to have such a glow-in-the-dark survival kit
and the hand-crank equipment you mentioned.

Cheers,
Tish

Me too!! All that stuff is quite exxy here. Trish, try the army disposal.
STill a bit exxy but worth a try. Stuff might be cheaper for you in sydney.
Lets hope this year is better than last year for you guys.

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
Mary do you have a Bj's wholesale outlet near you. If so they make a
emergency bag it is water proof orange glow in the dark and comes with 5
days of emergency supplies such as pouched water and food, poncho,
whistle,
matches and so on it cost $30. You can add others things to it since it
is
a back pack and has extra pockets. I have one in each car and one for
each
of use in the closet

You forgot several things on your list on is at least $500 in cash small
amounts per person in the household, toiletries and quick clean items , a
rapid charger for your cell phone that use a AA battery to recharge your
phone cost $10 plus battery, a hand crank rechargeable flashlight ( $10 )
and the most important that people always forgets A WEATHER RADIO; they
make hand cranks ones that have a portable power source and flashlight in
them about $25
I don't know if anyone has seen them but they make a hand crank battery
recharger you can get one at most camping stores

Later on before season gets her I am going to make a list of everything
us
pet owners should have how much they cost and where to get them cheaply.
Or
Am I jumping the gun here I just want everyone to be safe and not see
another time like last year

e"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
. ..
This is for all you folks here in the US. How many of you have
already
made Hurricane Plans and preparations

A poll made it to newspaper today

Among people preparing for a hurricane, 18 percent said they were
assembling an emergency kit and buying basic supplies such as water,
canned food and batteries, making that the most popular response.

Seven percent of respondents said they had prepared their homes for a
hurricane by installing special shutters or doors or making other
upgrades; 5 percent said they had purchased a portable generator or
installed an emergency generator.

I don't have specific hurricane plans, but I do have emergency plans
for
*any* type of emergency (which would include hurricanes). I keep the 2
cat carriers in the garage (attached to the house), immediately the
door,
so I could quickly pick them up for the cats. I also have cases of
canned
cat food beside door where I could quickly grab some and an empty box
that
I could quickly load with canned food. In the same location, I have a
small case with supplies for myself -- personal information, computer
backup disks (including photos), a diabetes glucose meter,
prescriptions,
personal telephone/address directory, local telephone book, a can
opener,
and 2 flashlights with extra batteries. Bottled water is in the garage
close to the car. I live in East Texas but in a location where we
*never
before* felt any major effects of hurricanes. Then Hurricane Rita hit,
and I was without power for 7 days. It is amazing how many batteries
are
needed for portable fans and lights for 7 days! So, I now have a
*huge*
stock of batteries of various sizes in another location (where I could
use
them in a power shortage but probably would not take them with me if I
evacuated -- although they are also close enough to the door so that I
could grab them fairly quickly). Finally, I *always* keep flashlights,
pillow, a couple of blankets, and a some motel/hotel directories in the
car (along with maps, of course) -- and my cell phone is always in my
purse.

MaryL

Old March 9th 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
. ..
This is for all you folks here in the US. How many of you have already

made
Hurricane Plans and preparations

A poll made it to newspaper today

Among people preparing for a hurricane, 18 percent said they were

assembling
an emergency kit and buying basic supplies such as water, canned food and
batteries, making that the most popular response.

Seven percent of respondents said they had prepared their homes for a
hurricane by installing special shutters or doors or making other

upgrades;
5 percent said they had purchased a portable generator or installed an
emergency generator.

We don't get hurricanes in California. Of course we're supposed to have
earthquake kits. I don't, but I do make sure I always have plenty of the
two most essential items - cat food and toilet paper.

Joy

Old March 9th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Tish" wrote in message
oups.com...
top posting:
Out of interest, does anyone know where I might be able to get such
things in Australia? Sydney, if possible? We do not face a hurricane
risk, but we have a fairly severe bushfire risk, for which the
post-event survival preparations would be almost the same as for a
hurricane. I would like to have such a glow-in-the-dark survival kit
and the hand-crank equipment you mentioned.

Cheers,
Tish

I don't have any information about Australia, but your comment about
bushfire risk reminded me of an iterm I have seen advertised. It is a very
light-weight fire-resistant blanket that supposedly will protect a person
(at least for awhile) in the path of a fire. I have never actually seen one
and cannot even tell you where to locate it -- but an Internet search might
turn up some results, if you are interested. I have also been thinking
about some of our friends in Oklahoma (such as Sherry), who have been faced
with a number of wildfires.

MaryL

Old March 9th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

http://www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site.../product/EE37C
it is called a fire blanket it is what firefighters use to wrap a person in
when exiting burning building or to smother fires
good investment to have in your car for emergencies

Old March 9th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

We don't get "tropical" hurricanes where I live but we do get high winds
during some storms. We also get occasional blizzards and ice storms. I
am prepared for the worst with: Gas stove, gas backup heater, 6000 watt
tri-fuel generator, two deep cycle batteries connected to an inverter,
many gallon jugs of spring water, and lots of canned food. I also keep
two cases of cat food in reserve. I figure I could probably get along
for at least two weeks if snowed in without power.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old March 9th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-08, Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) penned:
This is for all you folks here in the US. How many of you have
already made Hurricane Plans and preparations

A poll made it to newspaper today

Among people preparing for a hurricane, 18 percent said they were
assembling an emergency kit and buying basic supplies such as water,
canned food and batteries, making that the most popular response.

Seven percent of respondents said they had prepared their homes for
a hurricane by installing special shutters or doors or making other
upgrades; 5 percent said they had purchased a portable generator or
installed an emergency generator.

Not I. But I think the likelihood of a hurricane hitting Colorado is
pretty slim ...

The main disaster risk around here seems to be forest fire, and I
don't think there's much you can do about that other than leave.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully