When you first brought your cat home

Old July 1st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default When you first brought your cat home

On Thu 29 Jun 2006 09:54:32a, Enfilade wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:1151589272.230912.94650
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com):

what did s/he do?

Shamrock was a foster cat of mine - I had just made room for one
more (a little stripey boy had been adopted) and I went to
Annapolis PetSmart to pick up my next. He was much older than the 6
months they told me he was. But very talkative, very outgoing, and
very beat up. They said he'd been in a cat fight, and that's why he
had sores all over him. Well, they were wrong (allergies). He went
to into the downstairs seclusion area with the other fosters I had,
and Shadow was my only resident cat. Shamrock hated the adoption
shows so much, to the point he worked himself up into a frenzy, and
it was kitten season and he was a big black and white boy no one
really even looked at, so he decided he wanted to live here.

Bonnie was trapped as a feral and spent her first 2 weeks in a
bathroom, and the next 2 months in a cage being socialized. She's a
sweetie now, but I still can't approach her in any way. She has to
do the approaching.

Rhett and Scarlett were among a litter of four abandoned 5 week old
kits by their stray mom, and they spent their first month with
their rescuer with their litter mates. Their third month of life
was spent in my house in the "kitten room" with a screen door on it
so Bonnie and Shamrock could get used to having them here. After
that month they took over the place.

--
Cheryl
Old July 1st 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Katrina

On 2006-06-29 06:54:32 -0700, "Enfilade" said:

what did s/he do?

(Inspired by Tak in the Lapnox thread)

Ming was between 1 and 2 years of age when I got him from a shelter. I
had just lost my Scamper-kitty to liver failure, and since there
weren't any other cats here I just let him roam. He found a quiet spot
in the hall closet where the dog couldn't find him. Boris *likes*
cats... Scamp was his best friend, and he mourned her when she died,
but Ming had to get used to him. Once he figured out that Boris was
OK, he started exploring the house. The only problem was that he had a
*nasty* case of ringworm... it was all over him, including his face.
It surrounded his eyes, was in his ears and nose. He ended up needing
baths 2-3 times a week for a month, and oral meds for about 6 weeks.
The furniture was covered in towels and sheets that got washed every
day. Even so, Boris and I ended up with a couple of spots of the nasty
fungus. In the midst of all this, Buttercup arrived. She was a 4-5
week old kitten born to a feral mother. A friend of my sons appeared
with a carrier with two little meezer fuzzballs. I have a soft spot
for meezers. True Siamese cats are kind of funny looking, but moggies
with color point markings are my favorite cats. One of the little
fuzzballs was a white powderpuff with grey stripes *just* starting to
show on her face, legs and tail. I was a gonner. For the first two or
three days I kept her in a carrier when I wasn't right there with her.
I wasn't sure about Ming- an altered adult male *could* be potentially
dangerous to a little kitten. On the third evening, I was working on
the computer and she was exploring at my feet. After a bit, I noticed
that she had disappeared. When I looked behind me under the table, she
was curled up with Ming. It looked for all the world like he was
hugging her. Her head was tucked under his chin, and he had his front
paws wrapped around her. I figured they were going to be fine together.
They're still best friends. Ming is a tad bit nervous, particularly
with strangers, but Buttercup rules her world. She's now 2 years old
(Ming is between 3 and 4). She has no fear and expects the world to
revolve around her.

Katrina

Pictures: http://homepage.mac.com/kworley/phot...toAlbum22.html
http://homepage.mac.com/kworley/phot...toAlbum27.html

--
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time

Old July 1st 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

On 29 Jun 2006 06:54:32 -0700, "Enfilade"
wrote:

what did s/he do?

6-month-old Tribble (RB) stepped confidently out of the carrier and
went exploring.

A year later, 6-month-old Natasha arrived, stepped timidly out of the
carrier and didn't get a chance to go exploring. She was almost
immediately knocked over by the now-18-month-old Tribble, who
proceeded to hold her down with one leg and give her a bath.

Right up to the time Trib made his last visit to TED (which ultimately
led to his trip to the Bridge), Tasha would walk over to him, duck her
head down in front of him, and he'd wash her for as long as she'd put
up with it.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old July 1st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

They took over the house
"Enfilade" wrote in message
ups.com...
what did s/he do?

(Inspired by Tak in the Lapnox thread)

Kumani and Tyche didn't do much because they were three week old bits.
Pipped and squee'd mostly, drank milk out of a bottle, slept in a box,
tried to walk by churning their little legs. Imprinted on Dylan as
their natural mother.

Smokey was just bewildered at going from living in the forest in the
morning to being a high rise apartment boy by evening. He was a little
low and shy, but very curious, and confused. He'd stare at the
ceiling, double-take. Sniff and paw at the rug. Tried to jump through
the window onto the balcony, hit his head. Tried to stalk the images
on TV, get confused when he couldn't pounce them from behind. Cried to
get into the garbage pail, couldn't believe the dishes of catfood were
okay for him to eat. AND we had company over and he was lovebugging on
everyone for reassurance.

Nocturne disappeared under the bed for a day and a half to evaluate if
we were worthy of her presence. Dylan was rather upset by the diss and
spent most of that first evening watching her under the bed. She would
purr, but she wouldn't come out. Not until her judgement was complete
(Helluva thing to put a first-time catslave through!)

--Fil

Old July 2nd 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On 29 Jun 2006 06:54:32 -0700, "Enfilade"
wrote:

what did s/he do?

I love everyone's kitty tales...

Scouty and Silver were about six months old when we got them from the
shelter, and they were very insecure. The first thing they did when we
let them out of their cardboard carrier was to run and hide under our
bed. I thought they'd be there for a long time, but a few hours later,
out poked a pair of little paws to bat at our feet. The first photo
I've got of them is of two paws pushing out the bedskirt to get at the
feather-on-a-stick By the next morning they'd made themselves right
at home and since we didn't have any other cats they had the run of
the apartment.

I rescued Tessie from the carpark at our apartment building and put
her into the carrier, and the very first thing she did was to hiss at
Scouty and Silver! I put her into the craftroom and opened the carrier
door and she explored her new territory and climbed into my arms to
smurgle, totally ignoring the hisses and snarls coming from the other
side of the door (Scouty and Silver weren't the least bit pleased to
have an interloper in their home...)
Tessie was okay about being shut up for a few days, but then she
started to mew pitifully and to scratch at the closed door, and then
she progressed to flinging herself against it and yowling!
Old July 2nd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 06:54:32 -0700, Enfilade wrote:

what did s/he do?

(Inspired by Tak in the Lapnox thread)

Probably the most interesting first day experience was Harri Roadcat's.

Harri had been staying with some very caring catslaves in IL. These folks
also had other cats, and the other cats did NOT approve of Harri, so
Harri's recent experiences had been a little bit trying. I imagine it was
a little bit less than reassuring when she got delivered into the hands of
a big old scruffy dude living in an oversized broom closet on wheels.

I put Harri in the truck and showed her where the litter box, food, and
water were, then left her a few minutes to explore on her own. When I
joined her after a few minutes she seemed fairly relaxed, and was glancing
at the box of kitty toys. We played with the feather wand for a few
minutes, then tossed some fuzzy mice around for a while. I was tired from
the last few days of hard running, so figured a nap would be in order.
Harri apparently agreed, because as soon I stretched out on the bunk Harri
curled up on my pillow and started purring up a storm.

Early that evening I put Harri on leash and we took our very first kitty
walk, right there in the truck stop. Harri was kindof intimidated by all
the big trucks so we only stayed out for a couple of minutes, but she
seemed to enjoy the fresh air.

The next day we got a load assignment. We were to pick up a load in
Illinois and deliver it to Oregon. I wasn't sure how Harri would
react to being in the semi once I started the big diesel engine, but she
didn't seem to mind. She initially rode on the bunk, but after a few
minutes she jumped up onto my lap. She seemed nice and comfortable, and I
sure enjoyed it! Nothing like having a cute little kitten curled up in
your arms while driving.

After we got loaded we ran west. Our load wsan't ready until late (9 PM or
so), so we ran as far as I was able - to a rest area in Ohio. We stopped
for the night and I got some sleep. When I got up the next morning I saw
that this rest area had a huge expanse of grass and trees, so I figured it
might be a good place for a kitten walk. When I first got Harri out of the
truck she was pretty unsure, I guess figuring that a big open space like
that was something of a threat to a tiny little kitten. But after just a
couple of minutes she relaxed, and figured out that walking was prety
cool. She made a bee-line for the nearest bushes and immediately began
inspecting them up close. Nearby trees were explored by Harri making a mad
dash for the tree, leaping as high as her little kitten legs would take
her, and clinging to the bark for half a minute or so. The high grass
along the edges of the rest area were fuel for a big case of kitten
zoomies.

We spent over an hour and a half walking at that rest area. I had never
seen a kitten have as much fun as Harri did that day. When we finally got
back into the truck and started rolling again, Harri jumped into my lap,
stretched up along my chest, and tucked her head against the bottom of my
chin. I then got a couple of kitty kisses on the chin - Harri's way of
saying "Thanks, Paw!".

Old July 2nd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

Right up to the time Trib made his last visit to TED (which ultimately
led to his trip to the Bridge), Tasha would walk over to him, duck her
head down in front of him, and he'd wash her for as long as she'd put
up with it.

Aww. Nikki would go and stand in front of Frank and just wait. Frank
would always start grooming her obediently.

Old July 29th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone

On 29 Jun 2006 06:54:32 -0700, "Enfilade"
wrote:

what did s/he do?

Little Bit was my first cat since I joined and retired from the Army
After 20 years. She was skinny and very pregnant at the time, and
there was an ice storm going on. She was on the porch yelling to be
let inside where it was warm, so I let her in and told her she could
stay until it warmed up or I found her home, just as long as she
didn't bother my cockatiels. She made herself at home immediately,
totally ignoring the birds. Wasn't long before I had a new litter box,
toys, cat food etc. About the time it warmed up she had her babies in
the bedroom closet, so I agreed she could stay until I found her
family or they were old enough to go to new homes. Never did find
anyone who claimed her, but did find homes for all the kittens except
Sammy. Every so often I remind her and Sam that as soon as Sammy is
old enough they're going to new homes - so Sammy says she's still a
kitten - just one that's going on six years old.

Rocky (RB) was next, but his first night indoors has two stories. For
those who don't know, Rocky was a feral who I fed/looked after for
three or four years before he agreed to become an official part of the
family. His first time indoors over night, he was still more than half
wild. I lured him inside with food and he FREAKED when I closed the
door. He spent the night in the bathroom, screaming old night that he
had been trapped by a horrible hoomin. Next morning, after an epic
struggle, I carted him off to TED to be treated for a horribly swollen
abscess. After I got him home from TED he disappeared and wouldn't
have anything to do with me for a couple weeks. The second time, a
couple years later, went much better. By that time he had become a
family member. He spent much of his time inside, going out when I went
to bed. Then one night when opened the door to let him out he decided
it was a might chilly out, so he spent the night on the recliner.

Spotty, my latest arrival, came complete with her four kittens. Again,
I had no plans of letting her in, not only didn't I want or need any
more cats, she was fiercely protective of her kittens and didn't get
along with the others. And, once again, Mother Nature intervened. This
time pouring rain made me decide to let her and the kittens inside
(after locking Little Bit and Sammy in the bedroom). I hauled them all
in to TED. Spotty was too thin, ear mites, and had an abcess from a
bite wound. The kittens had colds and weepy eyes. The kittens were old
enough that they were already weaned. TED found homes for three of the
kittens, keeping two for himself and giving one to a client for had
recently lost her long time companion. The fourth went to one of my
coworkers. Spotty's ears took quite a while to clear up My search for
a new home for her became half hearted. By the time she was declared
healthy she was getting along better with LB and Sammy and the search
ended.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: