I'm cross

Old October 2nd 04, 05:48 AM
Marina

Jo Firey wrote:

The difference in pet culture in the UK had slipped my mind. I'm sure there
are lots of other folks cats out there hunting in addition to Boyfriend.
Even a warm body brought in isn't necessarily his kill. Since things are
not likely to change, there is really not a lot of point in keeping your cat
in if he really wants OUT. Birds and cats have co-existed in the UK for a
long time and one little cat isn't likely to change the balance of things.
Bet he figures out you don't care for the birds and at least stops bringing
them home for praise.

Nikki has learned that it's not a good idea to bring home birds. I'm
pretty sure she does kill some every summer on the island, though. She
just eats them somewhere else.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old October 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Jo Firey at
wrote on 10/1/04 8:44 PM:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
I'm sorry, Christina (. I do love the birds, too, and have many

feeders
out in my yard but it is easier for me 'cause mine don't go out

(although
do have plans to eventually build a cat enclosure on my patio -- was
supposed to be a project this summer but other issues took monetary
precedence.) Would this idea be a possibility for you, too?
Christine

I don't think so. Not that I couldn't build a cat enclosure, I could, but

wouldn't feel happy about it as my two roam around in acres of land (not

all
mine, I might add) whenever they want.
It seems like a different culture in America. I don't know anyone here in
the UK that keeps their cats in 24/7, or takes them out on a harness. I
know there can be rules in various states about not letting cats roam but
*really* it's recognised here that "cats have a propensity to roam" and

we
aren't expected to keep them in. They are almost above the law.
If I were to look outside right now, I bet in a minute or two I would see

cat crossing the (quiet) road.
So I had to go and look, didn't I? I think there could well have been one
but there was a chap coming along the road toileting his dog. 1.40 a.m.
Boyfriend went out again, perhaps a little upset that I didn't praise him
for his wren. I didn't tell him off, but he could tell I wasn't thrilled.
So he came in a bit later with a mousie. Just a small one, and wondered

if
that was okay. I said it was. Now I have two bodies to deal with in the
morning.
This bell on his new collar works well, doesn't it? sarcasm

Tweed
off to bed

The difference in pet culture in the UK had slipped my mind. I'm sure there
are lots of other folks cats out there hunting in addition to Boyfriend.
Even a warm body brought in isn't necessarily his kill. Since things are
not likely to change, there is really not a lot of point in keeping your cat
in if he really wants OUT. Birds and cats have co-existed in the UK for a
long time and one little cat isn't likely to change the balance of things.
Bet he figures out you don't care for the birds and at least stops bringing
them home for praise.

Jo

We had a cat that kept bringing back the same mouse that my Dad kept
throwing away until he told her waht a good kitty she was and Thank You.

Old October 2nd 04, 11:11 AM
Jeanette

Marina wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:

[...]

My 'new' cat, Cav, is very bright. It only took him a couple of 'catches' to
find out that I really did not approve of him catching birds. A few weeks
ago I heard a thud as a bird hit the conservatory window, and even as I
stood up to investigate, Cav came running into the house doing his best
'Timmy's in the well' Lassie impression. I could swear he wanted me to know
that he had NOTHING to do with the dead bird on the patio.

Jeanette

Old October 2nd 04, 12:31 PM
Marina

Jeanette wrote:

My 'new' cat, Cav, is very bright. It only took him a couple of 'catches' to
find out that I really did not approve of him catching birds. A few weeks
ago I heard a thud as a bird hit the conservatory window, and even as I
stood up to investigate, Cav came running into the house doing his best
'Timmy's in the well' Lassie impression. I could swear he wanted me to know
that he had NOTHING to do with the dead bird on the patio.

LOL! The exact opposite of Frank's father, Panther, who came proudly
bearing a blackbird to my sister. Since my sister had just seen the
blackbird lying beneath a window after obviously have met its death by
hitting said window, she didn't praise him (or scold him) for his 'catch'.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 2nd 04, 02:24 PM
Sherry

I know it's in a cat's nature to hunt, but I set up my large garden a few
years ago as a refuge for birds. :-(

Tweed

This is so weird. I keep reading about other people's cats catching birds. OUt
of these four, the *Only* bird I've ever seen them catch is, Yoda caught a Blue
Jay about eight years ago. Are they just really inept hunters? I don't want
them to catch birds, but it's just odd. I also read about people complaining
that outdoor cats reduce the songbird population. Not here for sure.
Bootie is a real gopher-girl, but even she has never caught a bird.
Sherry

Old October 2nd 04, 02:46 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
Livid even.
Yes, I know cats catch wild birds and that's why I didn't want any
cats, because I love birdwatching.
Boyfriend lost his posh tapestry collar the other day, the one he
arrived here with, so I bought him a reflective one yesterday with a
bell on as he fancies himself as quite a hunter of birds, I hoped it
would give them a chance.
It's pitch black here now, 9.50 p.m. and what was he just doing? He
was in the kitchen holding the body of a wren, still warm.

http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/wren.htm

Aargh .sob

Yes, I *know* cats eat birds, I don't like it, and that's why I
didn't want any.

I've picked the wren up a couple of times to warm it to see if it
will come back to life. It isn't going to. It's so small that if I
put it on my palm with it's tail by my thumb, it's long insecting
eating beak doesn't reach to the bottom of my little finger.
Boyfriend has gone out again. If he is starting to search roosts for
birds at night for fun, I shall keep him in from evening until
morning. He isn't hungry.
I know it's in a cat's nature to hunt, but I set up my large garden a
few years ago as a refuge for birds. :-(

Tweed

I'm sorry to hear that, Tweed. I had become rather complacent before I
got Bagheera, Snoopy hadn't caught anything for twelve years. Baggy
catches more, about three weeks ago I was very upset when he caught a
Goldcrest, this was only the second one I'd ever seen. Not the cats
fault, but last night a Greenfinch flew into the window with such force
I was surprised it didn't break, the poor thing was stunned so I put him
in a box overnight hoping he'd recover. He must have been brain damaged
as he died this morning. I'm still feeling sad about that.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.