Brown recluse got me

Old July 17th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Brown recluse got me

CatNipped wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

*RUSH* to the emergency room. This is what caused Pam S.'s extended
hospital stay in critical care and several surgeries. A brown
recluse's bite causes the flesh to literally rot off the bone.

If you don't have the money, go to a hospital that accepts federal
aid and they will be forced to treat you even without payment.

Closest hospital is 55 miles one way, and me without transportation.

Call 911! Seriously, Pat, if this was a brown recluse spider that
bit you, you could be in serious trouble!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Exactly, and would you rather die? Brown recluse bites are nothing to f***
around with.

Jill

Old July 17th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:57:33 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

"Pat" wrote

I forgot about that brown recluse remedy that I found a while back,
some herbal compound. What the heck was it again??? Made right here
in Ava, too!

Found it... http://www.brownrecluses.com/

Looks like it's made from a few simple herbs that grow locally, plus
activated carbon. I can get the herbs easily enough, they grow in my
yard, and I suppose Walmart has the carbon.

There IS no cure for those spiders Pat... if they're selling one it's
got to be snakeoil. The treatment is antibiotics to try and prevent
infection (or nip it in the bud) because the end results are nasty,
nasty, nasty... if you're sure it was a brown recluse don't hang
around - get your butt to the hospital NOW. The longer you leave it,
the worse the results will get.

Exactly, Karen. Herbal BS will not fix the problem. If that's not enough
to convince you (gross warning here) look at this:

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/b...bite_Day10.jpg

Jill

Old July 17th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Pat wrote:
Can someone tell me the cure? I can't afford to get very ill right now. It
just happened an hour ago. Caught the little bugger in the act but too late
to stop it biting.

If it really was a brown recluse, get to an emergency room immediately.
I know your opinion of modern medicine, but this is one time when you
can't really afford to treat something with folk remedies that might or
might not work.

Dan
Old July 17th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message

If it really was a brown recluse, get to an emergency room
immediately. I know your opinion of modern medicine, but this
is one time when you can't really afford to treat something
with folk remedies that might or might not work.

Amen to that, Daniel. My brown recluse bite turned into flesh
eating bacteria. I also had gangrene (you should of seen
everyone's faces when the surgeon announced that there was no
green muscle tissue formed that day. Talk about celebration?)
and was in the process of septic shock when I was taken to the
hospital. I don't remember much about the day that I went in,
but the kids tell me that I was talking wildly about curing the
problem with X-lax. I dunno, but I believe it was possible.

Pam S.

Old July 17th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:36:51 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

Can someone tell me the cure? I can't afford to get very ill right now. It
just happened an hour ago. Caught the little bugger in the act but too late
to stop it biting.

You really need to take yourself to the doctor. Bring the remains of
the spider, too. The faster you get treatment the better off you are.
Go to the emergency room if you can't get to the doctor's office.
Apply ice to keep the venom from spreading until you get to the MD.
There aren't any effective home remedies.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old July 17th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
Can someone tell me the cure? I can't afford to get very ill right now. It
just happened an hour ago. Caught the little bugger in the act but too late
to stop it biting.

OMG. Was it really a brown recluse? Are you all right? Please keep
posting, since you live alone. Pam had plenty of family nearby, and
look what happened to her!

Old July 17th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jul 17, 8:57 am, "Pat"
wrote:
"Pat" wrote

|I forgot about that brown recluse remedy that I found a while back, some
| herbal compound. What the heck was it again??? Made right here in Ava,
too!

Found it...http://www.brownrecluses.com/

Looks like it's made from a few simple herbs that grow locally, plus
activated carbon. I can get the herbs easily enough, they grow in my yard,
and I suppose Walmart has the carbon.

Pat,

That site has all the hallmarks of a scam. "Finally, after much prayer
they discovered a combination of ingredients which they applied
topically to the bite wound. They began seeing results immediately."
That's not the sort of language you should find on a respectable
medical site.

It's snake-oil. It's quackery. It *screams* it. Please don't waste
your precious time by making up home-made witches remedies. Call 911
and get yourself treated, before your arse falls off like Pam's did
(*waves at Pam*).

And please do it now.

Alphonze
(Yes, I know I haven't posted in donkeys years, but I still read the
group every day. As an active member of a skeptical society devoted to
investigating traditional Chinese medicine, I am *very* familiar with
the hallmarks of the snake-oil web site...)

Old July 17th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cantate

All right, so who lives close enough to Pat to make sure she gets to
the hospital and be on call for cat care?

Cantate (who wishes she did)

Old July 17th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cantate

Okay, so who lives close enough to Pat to make sure she gets to the
hospital and her kitties are OK in case she needs cat care?

Cantate (who wishes she did)

Old July 17th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 16, 7:36 pm, "Pat"
wrote:
Can someone tell me the cure? I can't afford to get very ill right now. It
just happened an hour ago. Caught the little bugger in the act but too late
to stop it biting.

Get yourself to a doctor asap. Illness is no respector of finances.
You cannot
afford *not* to go. You don't have to deal with the money right now.
Just go. They
cannot refuse treatment to you.

If you *don't* go, and it does turn out to be a recluse, you're
looking at serious illness
and skin grafts later on. Seriously.

Sherry