How safe are teeth cleanings with anesthesia?

Old July 20th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hezabel

Default How safe are teeth cleanings with anesthesia?

My Phoebe needed an extraction for an upper fang (bad infection root
was dead). The doctor put her on antibiotics for a week. She went in
at 8:30am. Had her extraction, blood test, cleaning, and two stitches.
She did fine, by 7:00 pm that evening she had a couple of tablespoons
of soft food and a bit of water. She was eating her dry kibble by the
next morning.

I was besides myself with worry, but she did just fine.

Funny how I got estimates from two doctors for this extraction. One
was "approx" $875.00 not including any take home medication and the
other (her usual doc) was $260.00 medications and all, even some extra
pain drug.

My best wishes for your kitty.

Old July 20th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Hezabel" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Phoebe needed an extraction for an upper fang (bad infection root
was dead). The doctor put her on antibiotics for a week. She went in
at 8:30am. Had her extraction, blood test, cleaning, and two stitches.
She did fine, by 7:00 pm that evening she had a couple of tablespoons
of soft food and a bit of water. She was eating her dry kibble by the
next morning.

I was besides myself with worry, but she did just fine.

Funny how I got estimates from two doctors for this extraction. One
was "approx" $875.00 not including any take home medication and the
other (her usual doc) was $260.00 medications and all, even some extra
pain drug.

You were so smart to get a second quote!

Old July 20th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default ** UPDATE: The Verdict ** Was: How safe are teeth cleanings with anesthesia?

Mike wrote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with my cat's love for chewing plastic
bags. She's done that for years. Also, the "auto" feeder I have is
plastic. I'm going to try to "plastic-proof" my house this weekend. Maybe
that will make a difference in her recovery. On top of all that, I'm
force-feeding her eye dropper-fulls of ClavaMox liquid antibiotics.

That's rough stuff. Can make a cat nauseous. If you have problems,
maybe squirrel it away in her food?

One thing that surprised me was that I had always heard dry food was better
for cats than wet food. But what one of the veterinarian's assistants told
me was that dry food is known to come with "bugs" in it, due to the type of
processing involved. I was disgusted. She was referring to bugs on a
microscopic level. For whatever reason, there are no such bugs in wet food,
I suppose due to the canning process, high heat, etc. Has anyone heard
this?!? And then another vet told us that as cats grow older, the
advantages of dry food on the teeth vs. wet food begins to narrow because
older cats typically drink less water, so wet food helps them get their
daily requirement. Interesting.

Nope wet food can be much better because of urinary problems with not
enough water which outweighs anything with dry food. About bugs, that
sounds somewhat absurd. What bugs is she talking about and so what?
Cats have digestive tracts designed for predators and are usually bug
proof.

In any case, I try to get dry food with an expiration date 1 1/2 years
into the future. I also keep the food in the refrigerator in airtight
containers so it's not a problem. The same goes for my cat's canned
foods. I drather pay more for Science Diet that expires in 2007 than
the same bag that expires this year.

Teeth problems in cats can go directly to the heart and bring cardiac
problems. So be careful if she has had massive infections. Some of the
things you said make me feel a bit queasy about your vet. Just a hunch.
And did he use ketamine? And why not the gas instead? More work and
more expensive but ketamine is rough stuff.

Old July 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hezabel

I just happened to submit twice, cybercat. I am new around here.
Regardless; thank you for noticing. Very sharp of you.

Old July 22nd 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Hezabel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just happened to submit twice, cybercat. I am new around here.
Regardless; thank you for noticing. Very sharp of you.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Try incuding a snippet of the post
to which you are referring. Then I can feel properly chastized. Or whatever
it is you want.

Old July 22nd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
~^Johnny^~

On 22 Jul 2006 01:25:25 +0200, "cybercat" wrote:

"Hezabel" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just happened to submit twice, cybercat. I am new around here.
Regardless; thank you for noticing. Very sharp of you.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Try incuding a snippet of the post
to which you are referring. Then I can feel properly chastized. Or whatever
it is you want.

Yeah, it's known as the "hidden claws clause". It is quite sharp, if
you two notice. ;-

grinning, ducking and running

All joking aside (even a bad pun is better than none):

Purrs for all of you. I lurk in these ailurophile groups, but
post infrequently, due to the large volume of data (yes, text data)
that I encounter.

It's also difficult at times for me to read some of the stories here
and in r.p.c.a, without breaking down, even as as if it were my own
kitty, so I skip a lot of threads and don't post here often. And I'm
not kidding about that!

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old July 22nd 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hezabel

~^Johnny^~ wrote:
On 22 Jul 2006 01:25:25 +0200, "cybercat" wrote:

"Hezabel" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I know what you mean. I've been lurking myself thinking I can get good
advice and to learn. What is r.p.c.a.? *I hope this time I don't
submit this twice*

Old July 22nd 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:
[...]
to. He was just really drugged and confused. Dr's orders were no
food until the next morning, but since he hadn't eaten since the
night before, I gave him a little gooshy food, not too much until I
could see if it would make him nauceous. When it didn't make him
sick, he ate a little more and slowly came out of his haze.
[...]

Ooh, careful! When the doctor advises against food after anesthesia,
I'd bet it's because it presents a choking hazard if the kitty can't
muster the energy to finish vomiting if needed, not just nausea.

Old July 22nd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
Cheryl wrote:
[...]
to. He was just really drugged and confused. Dr's orders were no
food until the next morning, but since he hadn't eaten since the
night before, I gave him a little gooshy food, not too much until I
could see if it would make him nauceous. When it didn't make him
sick, he ate a little more and slowly came out of his haze.
[...]

Ooh, careful! When the doctor advises against food after anesthesia,
I'd bet it's because it presents a choking hazard if the kitty can't
muster the energy to finish vomiting if needed, not just nausea.

I was thinking the same thing.

Old July 22nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"~^Johnny^~" wrote in message
On 22 Jul 2006 01:25:25 +0200, "cybercat" wrote:

"Hezabel" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

We like thenthitive people here. We eat them for breakfast on
buttered toast.

Tell us about your cats? A few pitchers, maybe?