Weeble has a lump :(

Old June 18th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

Default Pictures!!! Weeble has a lump :(

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
On 6/17/2011 8:29 PM, CatNipped wrote:
Ooooooo - poor, poor baby, that looks like it hurts! I hope they sent
home
some pain meds. I just posted a separate thread asking about the biopsy
results, have you heard anything yet?

I replied to the other message the biopsy.

As to the pain meds, our vet is against them for "soft tissue" matters,
if they don't feed the pain, they think they are fine and may do more
damage to themselves doing their "normal" things... whereas if they do
feel the pain, they won't try to leap, jump, etc, and therefore heal
faster/better. Imagine having a sprained ankle, taking pain meds so you
feel better, then walking on it, going back to the Dr and finding you
had damaged it more/it wasn't healing properly. If you hadn't taken the
meds, you wouldn't have walked on it (or would have used crutches/boots)
because it hurt to do so, and treated it with ice (reduce the swelling)
then heat (promote blood flow) it would have healed normally.

I really hate that he's in pain (though he doesn't show it - mostly he
shows the indignation of wearing the cone-o'-shame), but it is for his
own good. the did give him a penicillin shot at the vets, so we don't
have any antibiotics to give him. He goes back in 2 weeks to get the
staples out.

He is wanting out of the bathroom - BAD... I was in there earlier, and
with the restrictive collar instead of a cone, he purred for me (with
the actual cone, he was crouching down all the time and trying to hide
from it, in the "something's on my head" mode). We may let him sleep
with us tonight, but if he wants out of the bedroom, he goes back in the
bathroom - we don't want him out & about without supervision to avoid
him getting into a fight with the others or doing something he shouldn't
(getting stuck somewhere with the collar is one thing that comes to
mind, or getting his staples caught on something and ripping them out).

Geez - am I a worry-wart or what?

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

No, that all makes perfect sense to me!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old June 18th 11, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Weeble has a lump :(

On 6/15/2011 10:18 AM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
Weeble was being ultra friendly last night while we were watching TV (my
lap most evenings is hogged by either Tennessee or Barney& Bam-Bam),
and as I was giving him his proper luvins, pettins& skritchins, I
noticed he has a lump on one of his rear legs (no, this is NOT a repeat
of the case where I found some extra lumps when he was a bitty and
getting belly rubbins and it turned out I was rubbin really far back on
his belly and they were his boy-bits).

Just once, when he was a kitten, he got a vaccination that was NOT
adjunct-free. He developed a lump at the injection site (yes, this was
reported to& checked by the vet), but it went away....

Now he has a lump on his left back leg (our vet has always given
vaccinations on rear legs, not at the scruff), and I do not remember if
it is the same leg or not (will probably be in his records at the vet's)

He goes in tomorrow morning (they have no vet on duty on Wednesdays)
bright& early. The bad thing is they recommended fasting, and Weeble
is sort of a chow-hound, so that will not be easy...

Needless to say, I was not able to sleep very well last night due to
worry over My Sweet Weebs....

Can I have some purrs, drools,& prayers for him???? Please???

Many late purrs while I look for an update.

Old June 18th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Jun 17, 8:23*pm, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
On 6/17/2011 8:29 PM, CatNipped wrote:

Ooooooo - poor, poor baby, that looks like it hurts! *I hope they sent home
some pain meds. *I just posted a separate thread asking about the biopsy
results, have you heard anything yet?

I replied to the other message the biopsy.

As to the pain meds, our vet is against them for "soft tissue" matters,
if they don't feed the pain, they think they are fine and may do more
damage to themselves doing their "normal" things... whereas if they do
feel the pain, they won't try to leap, jump, etc, and therefore heal
faster/better.

Any vet that performs a surgery on an animal and refuses to send home
pain meds is guilty of animal cruelty. The explanation given is pure
BS and to do this is far below the basic standard of care. At my
clinic we would NEVER allow this to happen. And, looking at the
incision and amount of staples leads me to believe there is a dearth
of surgical skills to boot, Disgusting and poor Weeble has to suffer.
I would never allow a vet like this to touch any of my cats.
Old June 18th 11, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Jun 18, 1:13*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Jun 18, 10:22*am, catlady wrote:

[...]

You kknow, I don't understand most of what you post about vet stuff as
know zilch about it (xray tech on humans in ERs) but the analogy
given
about the "ankle sprain" example given (most likely by the vet in such
detail of care) made no sense to me as it is obvious by the pics of
the
incision (first time I only looked at the pic of Weeb's head, not the
others)
that the tumor/incision was not on a weight-bearing part of the rear
leg,
but more on the haunch (upper leg, I call it "haunch") ...he can't get
at
the staples with his teeth and can't see them either with the collar
so
how wouuld weightbearing on the leg threaten the staples???????
I don't like the analogy/rationale for no pain meds either but I am
not
any sort of vet/pet med authority, I am only using logic and what I
know
about injured weight-bearing extremities on humans. The analogy is
great
*if you are talking *humans* which we are NOT.- Hide quoted text -

Here is a link that covers pain and how it inhibits healing as applies
to humans, but you certainly can extrapolate to include cats.etc.
because we all are, after all, animals. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=120381128
Also consider what Christina has been going through with her shoulder
and the doctor's lackadaisical attitude in treating her pain. I read
the part of the post I replied to to my vet, and he said that in our
state this certainly could constitute a board compaint. Also remember
that cats are masters at hiding pain, and even though they may seem
ok, the opposite may very well be the case. :-(
Old June 19th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Richard Casady

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 09:22:41 -0700 (PDT), catlady
wrote:

[...]

I have a wonderful vet. The last time we took the COS, CatOfScum, she
****ed in the carrier, ****ed on the exam table, and then bit the
doctor. He just muttered: ' she did that last time '. We found some
nice leather work gloves which said Cat right on them. The trademark
for the Caterpillar company. With a card that said: best wishes from
the COS.

Casady
Old June 19th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 6/17/2011 11:02 PM, MLB wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

++++

I'd love to see a picture again of when Weeble was a little wobbly
bitty. I know I had one several computers ago but none were saved.
Sending heartfelt purrs for his wellbeing. MLB

More piccies of Weebs can be found he

http://pets.webshots.com/album/87385216QpelvE
http://pets.webshots.com/album/94078345SDhwRn
http://pets.webshots.com/album/109016363dXYsOf

Old June 19th 11, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 6/18/2011 12:22 PM, catlady wrote:

Any vet that performs a surgery on an animal and refuses to send home
pain meds is guilty of animal cruelty. The explanation given is pure
BS and to do this is far below the basic standard of care. At my
clinic we would NEVER allow this to happen. And, looking at the
incision and amount of staples leads me to believe there is a dearth
of surgical skills to boot, Disgusting and poor Weeble has to suffer.
I would never allow a vet like this to touch any of my cats.

Psychological evaluation he

You are a nasty-ass Bitch who has the social skills of a smashed turnip.
This is why you hang with animals, as they can't judge you. You probably
have no human friends. Were you a vet yourself, you would not have any
clients for the simple reason that (and I reiterate here) you are a
nasty-ass Bitch with the social skills of a smashed turnip.

You are a vegan, and a card-carrying member of PETA (all of whom are
nasty-ass people who have the social skills of smashed turnips, which is
why society refers to them as "those PETAfreaks"). You think that
screaming and yelling and insulting is the best way to get your opinions
heard (news flash he it's not, it just makes people think you are a
nasty-ass person with the social skills of a smashed turnip who should
be banned from society).

Did you ever stop to thing that by trying to get pain meds into a cat
would cause him/her more stress? And that the process would more than
likely cause further injury to his/her incision?

Old June 20th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default Got minor lab results on Weeble's lump

copied & pasted from the email I received (from the owner of the vet
clinic):
-----
It is not a fibrosarcoma-the vaccination kind

Low grade Liposarcoma
A cancer of a fat cell
there are 3 kinds of lipomas(fatty tumors)
1 benign
2 infiltrative(see lots of these in dogs)
3 Lipomsarcoma

Prognosis: favorable for survival potential for recurrence.
We got good margins
Watch site for recurrence although regrowth isn't as likely with good
margins
Metastatic potential in the cat is low.

Some think there might be a correlation between the feline leukemia
virus and these tumors. There was one
reported incident where they thought the feline leukemia vaccine may
have caused it.
-----

I'm not sure what to think. She said that she will call a veterinary
oncologist tomorrow to get more info.

Old June 20th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

It sounds like it's not as good as you'd hoped, but definitely not as
bad as you feared. The part I liked the best was "Metastatic potential
is low". Especially since they got it all out. But it's still pretty
disturbing to hear the word "cancer".

I hope the oncologist will reassure you! Purring for sweet Weebs.

Joyce

--
If an animal does something, they call it instinct. If we do exactly
the same thing for the same reason, they call it intelligence.
Old June 20th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_5_]

It's a good prognosis, but still worrisome, I know. To be optimistic, I
once had a basal cell sarcoma about 30 years ago that was removed from my
left tear duct. While (awake!!!) on the operating table, they did a quick
biopsy and found it was cancerous so they removed more than they'd planned
until they got those "clean edges". The prognosis was almost exactly what
they gave Weebles, but though I watch for it every time I put on eye liner,
I've never had a recurrence. I'm sure the same will be the case with
Weebles. Healing purrs being sent just the same.

--
[...]

Lump in tail Clara Semps Cat health & behaviour 11 February 16th 09 09:17 PM
Lump on gum? SoundCat Cat health & behaviour 3 February 5th 06 12:41 PM
Cat has lump [email protected] Cats - misc 0 May 9th 05 04:48 PM
hairy lump! BC Cats - misc 5 January 26th 05 09:16 PM
Found a lump Linda E Cat health & behaviour 21 September 10th 03 11:18 PM