Cell phones in the USA

Old January 29th 04, 04:12 AM
badwilson

"John Biltz" wrote in message
.net...

There are two different types of cellular telephone systems in the USA:
The old analog system and the new digital system. Both systems are not
compatible with European telephone equipment. Some European Nokia
equipment can be made compatible by changing a "smart card". You better
buy such a card before departure, as they are difficult to find in the
US. Check the US roaming rates with your service provider. They may
charge you high prices.

I don't know how true this is. My American friends over here always manage
to get a sim card in the US no problem when they go home. I should ask
around where they get it. From what I've heard, this system is becoming
more and more available in North America. Good thing, because it's
everywhere in Asia (cellphone central!).
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old January 29th 04, 04:41 AM
Hopitus2

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
:
: I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.
:
: Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
: many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
: Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?
:
Question 1: yes
Question 2: usually yes, but I've seen plans offered where incomings are
free.
Many competitive companies in USA....surf the Net and check out their deals.

: --
: David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
: Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
: Nanki Poo: SI Bp+W B 10 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P B+ PA+ PL+ SC
: Minke: SI W+Cp B 1 Y++ L-- W- C+

Old January 29th 04, 05:09 AM
Marina

"Victor Martinez" wrote
David Stevenson wrote:

Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

Yes, they count towards your minutes.

Now, that seems so strange to me. It seems to defeat the whole purpose with
a mobile phone. I would be very reluctant to give out my number to anyone,
if I had to pay each time they called me. As it is, I have my mobile phone
mostly for incoming calls, so my phone bill is always very small. My phone
company normally bills its customers once a month, but I get billed only
twice a year. I suppose it saves them money not to bill me for ridiculously
small amounts every month.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 29th 04, 07:42 AM
Steve Touchstone

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

While we usually get some useful adive, I think the best coming from
this thread for you is that it all depends on where you're planning on
going and how long you'll be there. I know from from annual trips out
to California that they have much better, and cheaper cell phone
service than we do here in SW Oklahoma, probably because they have
more companies to choose from, which results in more competition for
your business. So, what's true for me here isn't true for California.

So, if you let us know where you'll planning on going and the foks in
that area can probably give some advice which makes sense.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 29th 04, 12:12 PM
Stacey

I have a prepaid that the phone cost me $50 and I just put as much money on
it as I wish. No contracts, etc. The cell cost is $.25/minute for incoming
and outgoing calls.

Stacey

Old January 29th 04, 02:28 PM
David Stevenson

Victor Martinez wrote
David Stevenson wrote:
Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising
so many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?

We just got two free cell phones with a 2 yr contract with ATT. Top of
the line cell phones, with camera and all. We have a shared plan with a
heck of a lot more minutes than we can possibly use and nationwide long
distance/roaming.

Yes, I know that I can get lots of free airtime, but that is *not*
what i want. I presume your contract will be extremely expensive for
someone who wants the phone very rarely.

Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

Yes, they count towards your minutes.

It does look as though I am going to have to wait a few more years for
the USA to catch up with the European telephone methods.

Old January 29th 04, 02:28 PM
David Stevenson

Steve Touchstone wrote
[...]

I expect to visit the USA twice a year for the foreseeable future, but
the places go round the country. The next two places are new York and
Orlando. The last three places I visited were Las Vegas/Los Angeles,
LosAngeles/Phoenix, New Orleans.

Because I only expect to be in the USA for three or four weeks a year,
a low cost of owning the phone seems the idea.

Note that phone rental is available at airports, but you can get
twelve months of phone in England for five days rental there.

Old January 29th 04, 02:28 PM
David Stevenson

Stacey wrote
I have a prepaid that the phone cost me $50 and I just put as much money on
it as I wish. No contracts, etc. The cell cost is $.25/minute for incoming
and outgoing calls.

That's what I am looking for!

Where? How? Etc???

Old January 29th 04, 02:37 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
Now, that seems so strange to me. It seems to defeat the whole purpose with
a mobile phone. I would be very reluctant to give out my number to anyone,
if I had to pay each time they called me. As it is, I have my mobile phone

It works like that because 99% of phones in the US are under contract,
meaning you pay a fixed ammount per month and you get a certain number
of minutes. In other countries (Mexico, for example) pay as you go plans
are popular, where you "recharge" your phone with a certain number of
minutes for a fixed ammount of cash. In those systems, whoever calls,
pays, so if I call a cell phone in Mexico, I get charged extra for the
call. Which in my view is not a good thing.
We pay $50 USD per month for two lines sharing 400 "anytime" minutes
(basically during the weekedays from 7am to 7pm). Nights and weekends
are free, I can use my phone as much as I want for no additional cost.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 29th 04, 02:38 PM
Victor Martinez

David Stevenson wrote:
It does look as though I am going to have to wait a few more years for
the USA to catch up with the European telephone methods.

Actually, they have already started selling "pay as you go" phones here
in the USA: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/
Is that what you're lookign for?

--
Victor Martinez