Need Recipies from non USAers

Old January 8th 05, 09:30 PM
jmcquown

Tanada wrote:
Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is
to bring in recipes from places other than the USA.

Pam S.

Scones

2 c. flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1-1/3 c. buttermilk
1-1/2 c. vegetable oil*

Grandma Hannah Smith Douglas Brown was born in Kirkintillach, Scotland, in
1896. This is her recipe.

Blend all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk
until well mixed then stir in the oil. [*Note, I'm sure she learned to make
this using lard or some other fat and had modified it to use vegetable oil
by the time I was given the recipe.] Knead briefly, then roll out the the
dough onto a floured board to 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into triangles,
about 3 inches across at the widest point. Bake on a greased iron griddle
on high, even heat (about 400F degrees) until golden brown on each side.
Serve with sweet butter and jam or thick clotted cream.

Jill

Old January 8th 05, 09:34 PM
jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
Tanada wrote:
Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is
to bring in recipes from places other than the USA.

Pam S.

Scones

2 c. flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1-1/3 c. buttermilk
1-1/2 *teaspoons* vegetable oil* Not cups!!!!

Jill

Old January 8th 05, 09:37 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 08:40:07 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

Ahhhhhh, now I have a clearer picturer.

I had forgotten you folk had "biscuits" as you call them, with gravy, and
therefore couldn't *possibly* what I know as "biscuits". I know the
cookie-biscuit translation, but forgot the biscuit-"scone" thing.

NB: The word "cookie" used in the US came from early Dutch settlers.

Theresa
Old January 8th 05, 09:40 PM
Yowie

Ahhhhhh, now I have a clearer picturer.

I had forgotten you folk had "biscuits" as you call them, with gravy, and
therefore couldn't *possibly* what I know as "biscuits". I know the
cookie-biscuit translation, but forgot the biscuit-"scone" thing.

Well, since we don't have the American version of "biscuit" here, its not
something I'll get to try, but still, it sounds interesting.

Pilsbury isn't a brand here, although I recognise it from all the American
TV I watch. ie "Pilsbury Dough Boy". While we get other brands of pre-made
dough in tubes, its only for cookies.

Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
Biscuit. Brit=cookie. American=more like a scone
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

"Yowie" wrote in message
Call me an idiot... I don't have the slightest concept of how this

recipe
would turn out. Isn't it just one big cookie in the bottom of a tray, or
am
I missing something crucial here? I've never heard of monkey bread

before
(my first thought was 'banana bread' - ie, cake made with banana mush).

Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news Tanada wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's
taking fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her
assignments is to bring in recipes from places other than the USA.

Thank you everyone. She says they make some of these recipes if
possible. Now she wants to know what Monkey Bread is. Any takers?

Pam S.

LOL Monkey Bread is nothing gourmet and definitely not from outside

the
U.S.

3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes
1 cup sugar (divided)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Take 3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes (10 per roll) and cut

each
roll
into 4 pieces. Drop roll pieces into 1 cup sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon.

drop
sugar coated pieces into a well buttered bundt pan.

Put 1/2 cup of the left over sugar/cinnamon mix and 1/2 cup packed
brown
sugar and 1 cup of butter (2 sticks) into small sauce pan.

Bring this mixture just to a boil, take off heat right away.

Carefully
drizzle over the biscuits. Bake at 350F degrees for 30 min.

Cool slightly and remove to a plate. Tear the biscuits apart.

Some people put chopped pecans in the bottom of the bundt pan prior

baking.

Jill

We used to use butterscotch pudding mix in this. Not instant. And
sometimes used bridgeford frozen roll dough instead of biscuits.

Old January 8th 05, 10:05 PM
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
Ahhhhhh, now I have a clearer picturer.

I had forgotten you folk had "biscuits" as you call them, with gravy, and
therefore couldn't *possibly* what I know as "biscuits". I know the
cookie-biscuit translation, but forgot the biscuit-"scone" thing.

Well, since we don't have the American version of "biscuit" here, its not
something I'll get to try, but still, it sounds interesting.

Pilsbury isn't a brand here, although I recognise it from all the American
TV I watch. ie "Pilsbury Dough Boy". While we get other brands of pre-made
dough in tubes, its only for cookies.

Yowie

You mean you don't have Bisquick either? I cannot imagine life without
Bisquick.

Jo

Old January 8th 05, 10:09 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"jmcquown" had some very interesting things
to say about Need Recipies from non USAers:

[...]

Any reason these couldn't have blueberries or such added? A local
bakery makes terrific blueberry scones, but I'm sure making my own
would be cheaper. :-)

Old January 8th 05, 10:12 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
Ahhhhhh, now I have a clearer picturer.

I had forgotten you folk had "biscuits" as you call them, with
gravy, and therefore couldn't *possibly* what I know as "biscuits".
I know the cookie-biscuit translation, but forgot the
biscuit-"scone" thing.

Well, since we don't have the American version of "biscuit" here,
its not something I'll get to try, but still, it sounds interesting.

Pilsbury isn't a brand here, although I recognise it from all the
American TV I watch. ie "Pilsbury Dough Boy". While we get other
brands of pre-made dough in tubes, its only for cookies.

Yowie

You mean you don't have Bisquick either? I cannot imagine life
without Bisquick.

Jo

But Jo, Bisquick is easy enough to duplicate at home. But because it
contains vegetable shortening in the homemade form, it must be tightly
jarred and stored in the fridge. And not for too long. The blend below
makes enough for a dozen biscuits. Just add 1 cup of milk or buttermilk;
mix well. Add a little more flour if you want to roll and cut the biscuits
so the dough is a little less moist; for drop biscuits use as is. Bake at
450F for 10-12 minutes until browned.

1/3 c. vegetable shortening
1-3/4 c. all purpose flour
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

Jill

Old January 8th 05, 10:17 PM
jmcquown

Seanette Blaylock wrote:
[...]

No reason I can think of, although my grandmother never did that. Also
please note the correction I posted - it's only 1-1/2 TEASPOONS of oil or
fat, not cups!

Jill

Old January 8th 05, 10:22 PM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

I know, its just I'm lazy. If I've got a box of bisquick in the cupboard I
can have Waffles batter or pancake batter made before the coffee is done in
the morning. I use it for dumplings and shortcake too. Funny thing is if
I'm going to make biscuits and don't have or want the tube kind, I'm more
likely to start from scratch.

I think the lazy part is more its handy to have the "recipes" and baking
times and temps handy on the box.

Not like I don't own cookbooks. I'm sure I have at least 100. Not counting
another couple of hundred of the check out counter booklets.

I can spend an afternoon reading cookbooks and then want to go out rather
than cook.

One of the things I like best on the internet, other than you lovely people
is being able to look up recipes.

Jo
Jo

Old January 8th 05, 10:25 PM
Jo Firey

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...

--

Which local bakery? (I don't live that far from you)

I was thinking some dried cranberries and a little orange peel maybe.

Jo