Ping Tweed

Old April 23rd 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Ping Tweed

I don't.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
ok, i know my mom/grandmother for years used an electric heater in the
bathroom, blessedly everyone now has central heating, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
The winter before last when we had an extended very cold spell down
to -16C, my toilet cistern froze up because of the cold entering through
the overflow pipe, giving me an interesting couple of days without being
able to flush.
That was the winter that I had to block the keyholes with paper towels
because the icy blast was whistling through them.
Usually the plumbing holds up OK, it's just if we get 2-3 weeks of
continual very low minus temperatures.
Tweed

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
how does this temp affte you water pips and other plumbing? Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message

Blimey! You're a hard man, Adrian - you don't walk down the
street in the
snow with a tee-shirt and no coat on, do you? ;-)

Tweed

When I was 17, I lived across a field from where my aunt lives.
One day,
when there was about a foot of snow, I walked across to her
wearing just a
pair of shorts. The look on her face was priceless. It seems as I
get older
I find heat more difficult to cope with.
--
I claim my £5 - you are a Geordie.

When it is 3c upstairs, a 15 tog duvet keeps me comfortable.
Tweed

Okay, I just have to ask. What does tog stand for? Combined with
the number, it apparently relates to warmth, but I'm completely
unfamiliar with the term.

the higher the tog rating the warmer the duvet is. I don't actually
know what tog means. 15 suits me for a winter in a house with no
central heating.
Boyfie has a 13 tog in his bedroom but he sleeps on top of it and
arranges it around himself. He loves that duvet.
Tweed

Do you know if it is related to the thickness, or the type of filling,
or what?

No, I don't. You can get different types of filling that can be the
same tog rating. The higher the tog the warmer it is.
15 tog, which I have is the warmest I can buy.
It can be very nippy upstairs here in the worst winter temperatures,
3C, as a rough guide double it and add 30, so around 36F for a week at
the top of my stairs last month when I got up so likely to be the same
in my bedroom.

I suspect Adrian has central heating, which is why he can sleep under a
lesser tog duvet in the winter.

Tweed

Old April 23rd 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

I admire your fortitude (but admit that I'm glad I don't have to go through
that).

MaryL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old April 23rd 12, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

I admire your fortitude (but admit that I'm glad I don't have to go
through that).

MaryL

It's easy. Kind of. Just wrap yourself in a blanket.

Old April 24th 12, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

sorry, i meant in my family, I do enjoy the wood stove warmth, but not the
work, Lee

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
how does this temp affte you water pips and other plumbing? Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

Old April 24th 12, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

Being hot makes me feel ill too. In the summer I feel lethargic and worn
down, as I do if the office I'm working in is too warm. although most of
my colleagues think it's lovely and warm.

I know what you mean. The building where I work is almost always too warm
for me, and I run a small fan on my desk all day in order to be comfortable.
In the summer, I don't feel so bad about that - the building is warm because
they keep the air conditioning low (ie, they don't cool it down too much).
My fan uses a lot less electricity keeping me comfortable than would be
needed to keep the whole building much cooler, so that's OK with me. In the
winter, though, they keep the heat too high for my taste, and then I run my
fan on top of that. Why can't they save energy in the winter, too? It doesn't
even get that cold around here.

One day, a few months ago, I noticed that I was quite comfortable in my
office and didn't need the fan. Later in the day, I saw an amail from the
CEO complaining that it was so cold, his fingers were getting stiff and
he couldn't type. So I knew it wouldn't be comfy for long.

My mom had poor circulation (due to lifelong diabetes), and would get
chilly when it went under 80 F (about 27 C). Whereas I start getting
uncomforable when it goes over 70F (21C)!

I like the weather cool but best of all I love to be out in the heavy rain
with a good cold wind. It invigorates me and I feel I can take on the
world.

OK, I think I'll pass on that. Most of the rain we get around here
is cold rain, because it mostly rains in the winter. You might like it here
in the winter, Judith. Something I miss about Massachusetts are the
summer rains - so refreshing after a hot spell.

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old April 24th 12, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Joy wrote:

A lot of it definitely is related to the individual. Both my mother and my
husband were comfortable at lower temperatures than I was. If we hadn't had
a dual control electric blanket, we'd have had some real problems in our
marriage.

Better living through technology.

As you say, humidity makes a difference too. I experienced that on one of
my trips to Australia. When I visited Darwin, on the north coast, the
temperature was in the 90s F. It was very humid, and I was miserable. From
there, I went to Alice Springs, in the middle of the country. It was about
the same temperature there, but the air was dry. I think I'd been there for
two days before I realized how hot it was, it was such a relief after that
humidity.

You're a true Californian, Joy!

Old April 25th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Yup. Second generation on both sides.

Joy

Ping: Tweed Mishi[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 December 15th 11 01:10 AM
OT - Ping Tweed CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 1 September 19th 11 09:18 PM
PING Tweed Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Ping Tweed CatNipped Cat anecdotes 73 April 30th 05 12:15 AM