Cat not eating

Old September 5th 03, 01:34 AM
wdo

Default Cat not eating

I have a two and a half year old cat who is going through phases of eating
and not eating. The first episode occurred on April 28. I noticed that he
was losing weight not drinking so I took him to the vet. The vet did a CBC
and found that his liver enzymes were elevated. Since this cat had been a
bit overweight the vet wondered if he might have hepatic lipidosis. He also
did an ultrasound which indicated a dense liver which is also in line with
the diagnosis. They told me that he needed to eat in order to get better.
He also had a slight temp so he was given Amoxicillin. I force fed him 1 1/2
can of Hill's AD and about 1/2 C of Pedialite daily for about two weeks. In
a few days he regained his energy but still wouldn't eat on his own. After
about two weeks of force feeding he resumed eating on his own. 48 Days later
he stopped eating again. I began force feeding but he vomited one evening.
I took him back to the vet and he was hospitalized for three days where they
gave him IV food and liquid. He also had a needle biopsy of his liver.
This didn't show any problems. I continued to force feed him for two weeks
and he appeared to recover again. 34 days later he quit eating again; two
weeks of force feeding and he began eating again. 35 days later he's quit
again. I am currently force feeding him. My vet has no advice. Has anyone
experienced a similar situation?

Old September 5th 03, 03:09 AM
Cheryl

In ,
wdo composed with style:
He doesn't have diarrhea nor is he constipated. Actually, when he is
eating/or being force fed, he appears very frisky and happy. Is it
uncommon for a cat to have repeated episodes of HL? What do you
think one might find in a stomach biopsy? I hate to put him
through much more than he is already going through.

I think the more invasive diagnostics are easier on the young. My
whole point was just rule out the worst and set your mind at ease. It
must cost a bundle just treating the symptoms and getting nowhere, not
to mention the stress on the cat going through repeated anorexia. As
for HL episodes recurring, in my early research I had read in several
places that once a cat recovers from it it is less likely to have a
relapse. I've learned *differently* from reading this group and
others experiences. I think you learn more as you go along if there
is an underlying disease and you recognize the early signs of not
eating, and do more to get the cat to eat which staves off another
episode.

I could be completely wrong here and hope that some others will offer
some input.

Old September 5th 03, 02:43 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

In article ,
"wdo" wrote:

He doesn't have diarrhea nor is he constipated. Actually, when he is
eating/or being force fed, he appears very frisky and happy. Is it
uncommon for a cat to have repeated episodes of HL? What do you think one
might find in a stomach biopsy? I hate to put him through much more than he
is already going through.

From what I understand, hepatic lipidosis is kind of a
chicken-or-egg/catch-22 diagnosis. The malfunctioning liver leads to
anorexia which leads to liver problems...in your cat's case I would
begin to suspect that, rather than failure to eat causing fat-transport
problems that affect the liver (usual fear in hepatic lipidosis, reason
we're concerned about chubby cats fasting), you are dealing with a
primary liver problem. Not being a vet I don't have any hypotheses about
what that might be. If the needle biopsy was inconclusive (did they say
it was totally 100% normal?) maybe they need to do a more invasive
biopsy? Have you tested liver enzymes when he's healthy? Denosyl SD-4
(SAMe dosed for cats and specially coated to deliver to the right part
of the GI tract) has been shown to improve liver enzymes dramatically
over the long run. It's made by Nutramax, makers of Cosequin. It's kinda
expensive and takes a long time to take effect but I'd think it might be
worth a shot, or at least you could discuss it with your vet.

Good luck.

-Alison in OH

Old September 5th 03, 09:27 PM

Post in alt.med.veterinary

(accessible by http://groups.google.com
if not carried on your news-server)

Perhaps someone there will be able to help you.

You could also have your vet consult with
Cornell. Not expensive. Best the vet do it
rather than you, as they have the hard data
available and are more capable of doing having
the necessary dialogue.
http://web.vet.cornell.edu/Public/FHC/camuti.html