Capturing temporary files

Old July 7th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Capturing temporary files

Years ago, a helpful RPCA'er captured the Bubbels program from a temp
internet file while the program was running, and made a copy of the file
to keep on her hard drive. She emailed me a copy of it so I could play
it locally, too. Still have it!

I'm trying this with another app, but it is not allowing me to do this.
It's not a flash file, btw. I believe it is Java. But anyway, when I try
to make a copy of the temporary file, I get an error message saying, "The
file is in use by another program. Close any programs that might be using
that file and try again". Of course, when I close the application, the
temp file goes away. What is that, a joke? I can just hear the developer
chortling about that.

That temp file is harder to crack than a military encryption code! I
can't copy it, I can't FTP it to another computer, I can't email it, I
can't open the file using any file-reader. I can rename it and can even
move it to another folder (which is really just renaming it anyway). I
can even change the extension. The application knows the new name and
keeps track of it, and when the app is closed, the renamed file is purged.

At home I have Windows 2000 and at work it's XP. Same problem on both
machines. And same problem whether I'm using IE or FireFox. (Although
the temp files are stored in different places on the C: drive depending
on the browser.)

I'm sure this is a security measure, but there must be a way around it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 7th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

There is a plugin for Firefox called DownloadHelper, maybe you could use
that to capture the file. I use it to download web videos.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 8th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

There is a plugin for Firefox called DownloadHelper, maybe you could use

Thanks, Adrian, I'll check that out.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 8th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:20:09 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

snip

I'm sure this is a security measure, but there must be a way

around it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Move the file to a flash drive, then pull the drive without unmounting it.

Or, if it won't move, then change the Firefox temp file setting to the
flash and pull the drive. That might crash something, but it should work.

For that matter, you can insstall FF on the flash or other USB drive -
there is a portabel Firefox version that works on removable media:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable.

Once you clean up any crashes and plug the removable drive back in, the
temp file should be intact unless bad luck caught it being written.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old July 8th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

Move the file to a flash drive, then pull the drive without unmounting it.

That's a great idea except that I don't have a flash drive. Yes, I do
live in the Dark Ages.

What if I did the same thing but moved it to a CD? Or would that
automatically imply copying, not "moving"?

Moving the file seems to be OK, as there is still only one copy after the
move. And FF *knows* where that one copy is no matter where I move it.
It's very careful about not letting you copy it. Copy requires that the
file is readable, I guess, which is not allowed - that stupid file would
be unreadable if you dropped a nuclear bomb on it. OK, bad analogy, but
you get the idea. But "moving" is just a name change, which it does
allow. Hmm...

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 8th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

wrote:
[...]

I have the game file that you don't need a browser to open it with. It
opens in its own program window. I think Jo sent it me. Would you like
me to send it to you?

Old July 8th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:30:01 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

Move the file to a flash drive, then pull the drive without unmounting
it.

That's a great idea except that I don't have a flash drive. Yes, I do live
in the Dark Ages.

They are cheap ... but the cheap ones *are* cheap.

My office mate borrows one of mine when he needs one.

What if I did the same thing but moved it to a CD? Or would that
automatically imply copying, not "moving"?

It would be copying - moving on the same drive is simply a matter of
changing the entries in the directory tables, but moving to a different
drive requires actually copying the file and deleting the original. I
think the reason the program keeps track of the file even if you rename it
is that the file handle used to read/write an open file points to a
structure containing the location on disk rather than a pointer to the
name. It is probably impossible to copy an open file to another drive,
and therefore to move one to a different drive.

CDs are not actually very much read/write drives - they are mostly write
once or a few times (with a lot of overhead) and read many drives.

--
T.E.D. )

Old July 8th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

What if I did the same thing but moved it to a CD? Or would that
automatically imply copying, not "moving"?

It would be copying - moving on the same drive is simply a matter of
changing the entries in the directory tables, but moving to a different
drive requires actually copying the file and deleting the original.

But isn't a flash drive also a different drive?

--
Joyce ^..^