Baby Talk

Old April 26th 04, 07:34 PM
Kreisleriana

Default Baby Talk

I wonder how many of us talk some kind of baby talk to our cats,
sometimes even without necessarily realizing it. My mother says I
talk to Stinky the same way she talked to me and my brother when we
were toddlers. "What's for breakfast today? Why don't we go see?"

She pointed it out to me when she heard me say "birdies" as in "Do you
see the birdies outside?" to him.
She said, ""Birdies'?? What the hell is the matter with you?"

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old April 26th 04, 08:29 PM
Hopitus2

Talk to the cats all the time.
When sounds of a skirmish nearby (short howls, growling) reach my ears, I
sternly yell, "Why are we fighting?"......they then scatter. It's always BT
Rowdy's fault; the girls don't ever start anything. It's really funny to
watch; he sidles up to them w/that challenging glare (hard to do if you're
like blind!) and whacks out w/his clawless paw, hard. They either turn tail
or if cornered rake his nose leather w/a fully armed paw. Rowdy never
learns, but he knows from my voice when to run.

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
:
:
: alt.tv.frasier FAQ: http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/
:

Old April 26th 04, 08:51 PM
Takayuki

Kreisleriana wrote:

I wonder how many of us talk some kind of baby talk to our cats,
sometimes even without necessarily realizing it. My mother says I
talk to Stinky the same way she talked to me and my brother when we
were toddlers. "What's for breakfast today? Why don't we go see?"

She pointed it out to me when she heard me say "birdies" as in "Do you
see the birdies outside?" to him.
She said, ""Birdies'?? What the hell is the matter with you?"

I think we all know what you mean. Cats *are* like little kids! I
don't know whether I talk to cats as though they were babies, or if I
talk to babies like they were cats.

"Birdies" isn't too bad. It's a term that's even used by professional
golfers. Of course, mice have to become "mousies".

This is an old clip that most people here have probably seen before,
but it's of me talking to Betty:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/movie1.html

I often ask Betty, "Would you like lappy time?" and "Would you like
brushie-brush?" I must sound so retarded when I'm with kittypussums.

Old April 26th 04, 09:12 PM
Jo Firey

I talk to me pets the way I would have talked to my kids except it would
have scared them for life. I get to use the full range of "pet" names with
them that the kids would never have tolerated. And you can be silly or rude
or profane or what ever suits you just as long as you are talking to them.
Here is Rosie Butts now looking for her human teething ring.

Jo

Old April 26th 04, 09:54 PM
Hopitus2

Oh, yes. When I'm working at kitchen counter, Maluce jumps up onto sink rim
and bellows for me to turn on water "fast drip"speed......then I have to
give her a full body petdown and coax, "Get drinkie now" before she turns
her head sideways and starts lapping the drip up.
They all also know the popular phrase, "want more food?".......

"Takayuki" wrote in message
: