(Very) Startling Cat Behavior (kinda long)

Old March 30th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default (Very) Startling Cat Behavior (kinda long)

First, let me reassure you that I'm not some icky troll. I've posted
here a couple of times and have gotten some very helpful advice from
you folks. However, my male, neutered, 4-year-old cat did something
today that startled the hell out of me. Now, I'm in my 50's and have
grown up with cats in the house all my life, but I've *never* seen
anything like this: what I thought was just usual bathing activity
appeared to be, on closer inspection, that my cat was seemingly
"pleasuring" himself orally. When I shook him a bit to see if he would
stop, he just looked at me and went back to what he was doing. I ended
up tossing him off the couch. After spending a day being totally
bewildered, I just have to ask if there might be something wrong with
him? I can't help but worry. Can anyone shed some light on this for
me? Does this activity signify some problem? I hope I haven't
offended anyone; I certainly didn't mean to. This has me somewhat
rattled. TIA.

Sue

Old March 30th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

SueB wrote:
[...]

Possible urinary tract infection. I'd take him in for a urine sample
if he continues licking. Cats' penises will become unsheathed during
cleaning - is this what you saw? It sort of looks like a kitty boner.
-L.

Old March 30th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

SueB wrote:
[...]

I was going to say the same thing. get him checked by a vet, he could have
an infection or it could be sore for some reason.
Alison

Old March 30th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

what I thought was just usual bathing activity
appeared to be, on closer inspection, that my cat was seemingly
"pleasuring" himself orally.

In Vicky Halls book "Cat Confidential" she dealt with a neutered
Siamese who following getting a scratch on the prepuce became fixated
on sucking (noisily) the area to the embarassment of his slaves.
Apparently it was all down to boredom and when provided with a more
stimulating experiences the Siamese stopped doing it

It is equally possible your cat was simply washing himself

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 30th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

First, let me reassure you that I'm not some icky troll. I've posted
here a couple of times and have gotten some very helpful advice from
you folks. However, my male, neutered, 4-year-old cat did something
today that startled the hell out of me. Now, I'm in my 50's and have
grown up with cats in the house all my life, but I've *never* seen
anything like this: what I thought was just usual bathing activity
appeared to be, on closer inspection, that my cat was seemingly
"pleasuring" himself orally. When I shook him a bit to see if he would
stop, he just looked at me and went back to what he was doing. I ended

Definitely could be a sign of a urinary tract infection if this is new
behaviour. You just take him to vet and they take a urine sample from him.
Don't delay, if he does have one and it's left untreated, the crystals will
build up in the urethra until it is totally blocked, which is a life-
threatening situation.

Old March 31st 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"SueB" wrote in message
ups.com...
First, let me reassure you that I'm not some icky troll. I've posted
here a couple of times and have gotten some very helpful advice from
you folks. However, my male, neutered, 4-year-old cat did something
today that startled the hell out of me. Now, I'm in my 50's and have
grown up with cats in the house all my life, but I've *never* seen
anything like this: what I thought was just usual bathing activity
appeared to be, on closer inspection, that my cat was seemingly
"pleasuring" himself orally.

This behavior is often a sign of pain caused by a small crystal or urethral
plug lodged in the lining of penile urethra. Urethral pain will cause a cat
to voluntarily inhibit urination. The longer crystals and plugs remain in
the urinary tract the larger they can grow until they completely block the
urethra and make urination impossible. A urinary tract obstruction either
partial or complete is a true urologic emergency that can lead to oliguric
acute renal failure and death if not treated immediately.

I strongly suggest you take your cat to a vet immediately.

Old March 31st 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Males can get clogged internally, especially if they've been ingesting
clumping or clay litters over time. It can be painful or fatal, so I
hope you'll please have him see a vet.

Best wishes to you both.

Old March 31st 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I want to truly give thanks to the good folks in this group that
offered practical advice. I did indeed call my vet and got "Homer" in
to see her immediately. After submitting with considerable dignity to
a very undignified exam, he was given a good report. Unfortunately,
his bladder was empty, but I will continue to watch him over the rest
of this evening and tomorrow to see if he gives a "repeat performance."
If he does, it's back to the vet. She told me it could have indeed
been irritated by litter grit or had a little plug (which he seems, so
far, to have successfully removed if that was what it was), and then
gave me signs to look for, discussed UTI's extensively, etc. I came
home very relieved (although the 24 hrs isn't over yet). Again, THANK
YOU, you wonderful cat people!

Sue

"War is not nice."
Barbara Bush

Old April 2nd 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

SueB wrote:

: I want to truly give thanks to the good folks in this group that
: offered practical advice. I did indeed call my vet and got "Homer" in
: to see her immediately. After submitting with considerable dignity to
: a very undignified exam, he was given a good report. Unfortunately,
: his bladder was empty, but I will continue to watch him over the rest
: of this evening and tomorrow to see if he gives a "repeat performance."
: If he does, it's back to the vet. She told me it could have indeed
: been irritated by litter grit or had a little plug (which he seems, so
: far, to have successfully removed if that was what it was), and then
: gave me signs to look for, discussed UTI's extensively, etc. I came
: home very relieved (although the 24 hrs isn't over yet). Again, THANK
: YOU, you wonderful cat people!

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

My first trip to the Humane Society (LONG) Dan Cat health & behaviour 18 July 11th 05 12:48 AM
OT, Long, don't give a damn; Joyce Brauer 1936 - 2005 Singh Cat anecdotes 16 July 1st 05 10:44 PM
T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM