dust from cat box, how u deal with it ?

Old July 14th 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Michael Lane

Default dust from cat box, how u deal with it ?

i fixed piece plywood under window, then took flexable hose, like goes
on shop vacuum, hooked to small fan, got it close to box then cut hole
n plywood, when clean boxes turn on it pulls most dust out , looks like
heck but does job , & thats what matters most to me.

Michael Lane
n Tenessee

Old July 14th 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 14, 6:53*am, (Michael Lane) wrote:
i fixed piece plywood under window, then took flexable hose, like goes
on shop vacuum, hooked to small fan, got it close to *box then cut hole
n plywood, when clean boxes turn on it pulls most dust out , looks like
heck but does job , & thats what matters most to me.
Michael Lane
n *Tenessee

Ok, you use litter that makes dust: I don't, I use hard clumping
litter (much more expensive
but usually on sale at Kroger affiliate here) *no dust*; two extra-
large boxes, one in each of
2 bathrooms; I have one very large cat who does not fit in anything
smaller AFA boxes.
Here is a "changing tip" for you which you may not have thought of:
you know those big,
not-quite-a-gallon plastic ice cream containers with a lid? I have one
in each bathroom with
standard grocery store medium plastic bag fitted into each one, and a
plastic poop scoop
atop each one. I only change the entire litter in boxes when it gets
really smelly, *not* once
a week.....hard clumping litter converts cat pee into a large lump,
which with scrops I lift out
of litter in box and deposit into plastic bag-lined round container.
What is in the containers,
hard large and small clumps and poo offerings, is what I bag up with
usual garbage for a
trip to condo Waste Management enclosed bin a short stroll down the
walk here. I just
replenish litter level after several-a-day offerings scoop removals.
I also have a small plastic broom/pan which I move back and forth from
each bathroom to
sweep up scattered litter (my cat is not a vigorous litter kicker).
Also....my brand of hard-clumping litter has many choices of special
kinds, and I use the ones
with little green or blue bead things to fight bathroom odors from
litterbox. None make dust.
Old July 14th 11, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
[...]

***

What brand is that litter? I use clumping litter, but whatever brand I've
tried makes a lot of dust.

Joy

Old July 14th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 7/14/2011 4:40 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I haven't found any that's dust free, but we get the cheapest clumping
litter we can find - we have to cut costs in any area we can.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old July 14th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 7/14/2011 4:40 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I do the same, although that changes from time to time, so I have used
several brands.

Joy

Old July 15th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 14, 3:42*pm, CatNipped wrote:
"hopitus" wrote

[...]

Rereading all posts re dust from cat litter, I have become confused as
to what is meant
by "dust".....in the first place.
Both my bathrooms are interior rooms, have no windows (both have
exhaust fans in ceiling)
and were purposely constructed in that manner successfully eliminating
the ever-present
and serious danger of water pipes bursting from extended freezing
temps in winter here.
When I pour a complete load or replenish litter level in either box,
nothing that resembles
dust nor anything like smoke arises from the box, and something like
that would immediately
be noticeable. No smells either.
So I continue to be puzzled by this reference....but it will not keep
me awake tonight wondering
about it.
Maybe my problem with this is that I have not used non-hard-clumping
litter for many years now,
and am unfamiliar with what is on market now that may produce
obnoxious clouds of dust or
whatever is meant by "dust" from other litter types.
I changed years ago when my cats of that time were *eating* Feline
Pine and that Wheat-named
stuff (Swheat Wheat or something like that). Must have smelled good to
them but I got rid of
both with record speed, went to clumping type, more recently "hard-
clumping", and never looked back.

Old July 15th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote

I haven't found any that's dust free, but we get the cheapest clumping
litter we can find - we have to cut costs in any area we can.

Try "Equine Fresh" from a feed store - 40-lb. bag is around $6.50. It's the
same stuff as "Feline Pine" and there's zero dust. Doesn't smell either,
until it's time to change the entire box. And you only need to scoop out the
feces. Urine dissolves pine pellets which become sawdust again. This can be
spread on your lawn to supply nitrogen and organic matter.

Old July 15th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Michael Lane" wrote in message
i fixed piece plywood under window, then took flexable hose, like goes
on shop vacuum, hooked to small fan, got it close to box then cut hole
n plywood, when clean boxes turn on it pulls most dust out , looks like
heck but does job , & thats what matters most to me.

Michael Lane
n Tenessee

Michael I go to either Sam's wholesale club or Bj's wholesale club I buy
50 pound tidy cat litter 99.999% dust free cost me less that $7 for that
bag. Funny OT is I have almost lost 2 of those bags in weight since
8/2/2010 put two of them on my shoulder the other day and said NEVER AGAIN
;-)

If you have to use the litter your using take it out side wear a filter
mask from the $1 store dump it back and forth into another bin to get all
that extra dust out of it. My mother has a problem with the dust. Been
using that litter for over 2 years now no problem. I think they make a
clump version also not sure on the price. I refuse to use it much easier
for me to take the 50 gallon under the bed storage bins from Wal-Mart for
$2 today's wasted newspaper and a 33 gallon garbage bag from the $1 store
and empty them once or twice a week. I have 6 boxes for 4 cats

Old July 20th 11, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 14:55:27 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

Some dogs also eat cat feces from the litter box and ingest clumping litter,
leading to an intestinal blockage.

We've always referred to that as "Crunchy on the outside, smooth on
the inside".
Old July 20th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

Some dogs also eat cat feces from the litter box and ingest clumping litter,
leading to an intestinal blockage.

We've always referred to that as "Crunchy on the outside, smooth on
the inside".

That needed a GW!! :-O

Joyce

--
"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings

A Deal? jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 4 April 11th 10 05:52 AM
[OT] What a Deal!! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 12 July 1st 05 02:00 PM
Well, It Was a Big Deal to Me! Arthur Shapiro Cat anecdotes 17 April 15th 05 12:06 PM
OT You think you deal with BS? Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 15 February 25th 05 10:32 AM