Cyber-stalking resources

Old July 12th 05, 10:15 PM
Gabey8

Default Cyber-stalking resources

Since there seems to be no shortage of harassment taking place these days,
right down to veiled threats to contact people's employers, here is the
URL of a site that belongs to the US Department of Justice.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/vawo/grants...98/appende.htm

There are laws against people posting defamatory content online, as well
as using the internet as a way to stalk or harass people.

Have we any attorneys posting or lurking here who might like to provide
input, perhaps on things like the proper method of seeking legal redress
against online stalking and harassment?

It appears, at least to my non-legally-trained eye, that some behavior on
this board has exceeded the boundaries of mere trolling. There are posts
on this newsgroup that might well give the intended victim legal recourse
to take action against the persons who've posted them.

Donna

Old July 12th 05, 10:34 PM
CatNipped

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
[...]

Thanks for the link. I didn't bother reporting the nasty, threatening email
I got because it was sent through an anonymous re-mailer (and quite a few of
these posts are sent the same way). In those cases, I don't think there's
anything that can be done since the re-mailer host is in another country!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 12th 05, 11:44 PM
Cheryl

On Tue 12 Jul 2005 05:15:47p, Gabey8 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alkaboutpets.com)
:

[...]

I think that anyone being harrassed by Mary (who lives in NC)
needs to report her to the FBI. NC law doesn't accept this type
of behavior.

http://www.wiredsafety.org/cyberstalking_harassment/us_states/northcarolina.html

(b) It is unlawful for a person to:

(2) Electronically mail or electronically communicate to another
repeatedly, whether or not conversation ensues, for the purpose of
abusing, annoying, threatening, terrifying, harassing, or
embarrassing any person.

--
Cheryl
Old July 12th 05, 11:55 PM
Mary

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
Since there seems to be no shortage of harassment taking place these days,
right down to veiled threats to contact people's employers, here is the
URL of a site that belongs to the US Department of Justice.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/vawo/grants...98/appende.htm

There are laws against people posting defamatory content online, as well
as using the internet as a way to stalk or harass people.

Guess what, genius? When it's a fact, it's not defaming, libeling, or
slandering. Everything I have claimed about Dan Mahoney of
Highland, California is not only true but completely documented
in public records.

Have we any attorneys posting or lurking here who might like to provide
input, perhaps on things like the proper method of seeking legal redress
against online stalking and harassment?

Why, yes, I think we might have a few attorneys posting here.

It appears, at least to my non-legally-trained eye, that some behavior on
this board has exceeded the boundaries of mere trolling. There are posts
on this newsgroup that might well give the intended victim legal recourse
to take action against the persons who've posted them.

What Dan has done in lying to us, derailing the adoption we planned
for Conan, and putting him in a cage for two weeks is fact. My speaking
out against what he has done and urging him to take this cat to the home
we had planned, or to any home, is my legal right and, in my view, a
moral imperative.

So sure, let's go. Bring it to litigation. I haven't spent my mad money
for the past three quarters. :O)

Old July 13th 05, 12:11 AM
Enfilade

Why is this arguing on rpca, instead of on the newsgroup where it
started? I don't know a damn thing about what Dan has or has not done,
and honestly, I don't care. I come here to read stories about cats,
not look at thread after thread of name-calling, finger-pointing,
disgusting images, and arguing about an issue I have never been
involved in and that has nothing to do with me.

If you have an issue with someone, TAKE IT TO EMAIL or TAKE IT TO
INSTANT MESSENGER or something.

PLEASE keep it from disturbing everyone else who has never been
involved with it!

--Fil

Old July 13th 05, 12:17 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I think this is a great idea. Call the FBI, and I will tell them
all about my Free Conan campaign.

You are such an idiot, Cheryl.

Old July 13th 05, 12:25 AM
whitershadeofpale

Seems ok to me? I bet there are just some sore losers in here.

Panty wads, and panty waists

Enfilade wrote:
Why is this arguing on rpca
PLEASE keep it from disturbing everyone else who has never been
involved with it!

--Fil

Hey, this discussion has all the elements of the sign on the door.

Hello! PING Enchilada

Help help! They make me read these posts.

Look, if someone can post about taking a dump, I think you can handle
this...what do you think.

Stop stop, you're disturbing my eyes!

Old July 13th 05, 12:35 AM
hjkghtjkgh

On 12 Jul 2005 16:25:09 -0700, "whitershadeofpale"
wrote:

Seems ok to me? I bet there are just some sore losers in here.

Panty wads, and panty waists

Why is this arguing on rpca

Old July 13th 05, 12:37 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Drama Queen,

You missed this part, at the end:

(e) This section does not apply to any peaceable, nonviolent, or
nonthreatening activity

intended to express political views or to provide lawful information to
others. This section

shall not be construed to impair any constitutionally protected activity,
including speech,

protest, or assembly. (2000-125, s. 1; 2000-140, s. 91.)