scratching

Old March 31st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

Default scratching

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:58:32 -0500, cybercat wrote:

"Patty" wrote
I think since they had specific preferances for what they liked which were
readily available, carpeted and sisal/jute, they never touched the
furniture since it was made out of fabric and now leather. They never had
any interest in the furniture, except to take a nap on it. We had our
last
sofa for nearly 20 years (yeah, way too long) and there was not any clawed
spots on it.

You were smart enough to figure out the key thing in keeping them from
scratching furniture etc.: to give them something they like to scratch
better.

I was thrilled to see the 30" scratcher I got at Petsmart for $15. My cats
always
ignored the shorter ones. This one is great, Gracie gets the crazies and
leaps to the top of it and sticks like velcro. It is by a worktable in my
upstairs office, and the other morning I actually watched the kitty brain
at work. I was playing with Gracie with a toy on a rope, flinging it on
either side of the scratching post, you know how they like that. She
leapt at the toy and wound up with all four feet stuck to the scratcher.
She looked up at the table, and I swear it was like I saw one of those
cartoon bubbles appear over her head. She climbed up the scratcher
and onto the table and explored it, looking very pleased with herself.

I can just picture Gracie's antics! She sounds like a real character with
a lot of personality.

Thanks for the PetSmart recommendation. I'll have to check it out next
time I need to replace Rusty's scratching post. We only recently got a
PetSmart in our area.

Patty