caught the kitten

Old November 7th 03, 05:15 AM
Aimee S

Default caught the kitten

Wanted to thank everyone again, I caught her today. She is NOT happy..
I will take her to the vet soon, but want to get her a bit more used to
people. I have her in a large crate, with litter and food. Tonight I
reached in with a glove on and pet her for a very long time, she finally
purred for a little bit, then hissed at me again. But it's a start.
I know about leukemia, I worked for a vet for a few years, loved the job
and hope to return soon. I am keeping her in a crate like I said, and in
a seperate room from my other cats. Gonna take some time to tame, I
really want to get some Advantage on her soon too, but we'll see.

Again thanks, this is a great group, everyone is so nice and helpful,
means so much to me.

Anymore hints on taming will be appreicated, haven't had to tame a
kitten since I was a little kid.

Hope I can help anyone that needs help too, last summer I bottle fed
newborns that their mother abandoned. That was an education.

Aimee

Old November 7th 03, 05:43 AM
Chris

I know I'm speaking heresy here but.... In the last year I 'tamed' 2 young
guys about this age and a 1/12 year old guy all of whom had lived outside
and woud not let anyone touch them. One I kept & the other two were
successfully adopted. I never used a crate but I do have a 2nd bathroom
that I could put them in for a few days & an attached (also closed off
room). I made the bathroom their 'safe' place & put the litter box in there
& the food dishes right at the door as I don't think they normally like to
eat too close to box. I admit that i had to crawl under the bed a few times
but all ended up sleeping on my bed in a couple of weeks. I have one cat
( the kitten I kept) who is particularly sweet and he was invaluable in
drawing out the second kitty. The new guy followed him around like a puppy
dog & ultimately just made himself at home. Maybe I was lucky but it did
work out really well. I did take them all to the vet pretty quickly as I
was concerned about fleas & any medical problems that might impact on my
cats. None of them liked it but then neither do mine!

Old November 7th 03, 06:20 AM
Aimee S

Thanks Chris, I too a couple of years ago, got a mother and her 2
kittens, they (the kittens) were about 5 months old, I still have them
and the mother, but they only like me, that seems to be the problem with
ferals at least in my experience. I am hoping that this little girl
being as young as she is, will be a good kitten for someone else, my
husband will kill me if I keep her, I already have 7 cats in the house.
I'm feeling pretty good right now, I managed to get Advantage on the
little girl tonight, so at least I have the flea's gone. I "think" I may
be able to tame her soon, then of course I will fall in love with her,
but I HAVE to find a GOOD home for her.

Bedtime for me, nite

Aimee