Continued surprises with Meep

Old April 24th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Continued surprises with Meep

Well, recently she went to the cardio and we found out she did not have
a cardiomyopathy like had been diagnosed before.

Today she went in for a dental and x-rays of her back end - we fully
expected the two big upper molars to be pulled. The x-rays were to
assess the status of her hind legs, she has luxating patellas in both
knees and has shown some signs of discomfort.

So, the two big teeth "cleaned up nice" but she had two crooked, little
teeth in the back of her bottom jaw that is two teeth too many for any
cat, and had "pouches and lots of tartar". So they were pulled.
They're tiny, hubby thinks maybe they are baby teeth that got stuck and
have been there all this time (she'll be 13 next month).

As for her legs, the vet found something else a previous vet missed - a
malformed vertebrae in her back, congenital, which explains why she's
never been a very good jumper. It's right over her pelvis. She's also
now got "significant" arthritis in both knees and hocks, and is being
put on metacam. The dosage is small, and I discussed the possible side
effects, the vet says the danger is minimal to her.

The vet was trying very hard to be politic in our conversation, but I
know that Meep's bone structure behind is, if not deformed, is mighty
close. And that's OK, it hasn't bothered her that much most of her
life, and we'll do what we can to keep her comfortable in her creaky old
age.

She came out of the anesthesia very well, and was pretty much normal, if
ravenous, when I brought her home from the vet. She's been sitting by
her bowl all evening, since I can't properly explain to her that the vet
said, small amounts of food within 8 hours of the procedure. She hasn't
been the least bit unbalanced or uncoordinated. Not bad for an old cat!

So now I think we have a full assessment of her current issues, and a
treatment plan to go forward with. Kind of sucks that she's got enough
discomfort now to need a constant painkiller, but there you go. I do
too, some days. We're getting old together

jmc
Old April 24th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:01:43 -0400 from jmc
:
So now I think we have a full assessment of her current issues, and
a treatment plan to go forward with. Kind of sucks that she's got
enough discomfort now to need a constant painkiller, but there you
go.

I agree with the "sucks" part, but what a relief to have solid
diagnoses and a plan! Thanks for sharing this.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old April 25th 09, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Stan Brown exclaimed (4/23/2009 11:38 PM):
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:01:43 -0400 from jmc
:
So now I think we have a full assessment of her current issues, and
a treatment plan to go forward with. Kind of sucks that she's got
enough discomfort now to need a constant painkiller, but there you
go.

I agree with the "sucks" part, but what a relief to have solid
diagnoses and a plan! Thanks for sharing this.

Yes, over the last month, she's had a complete workup, with cardio, full
blood panel, urinalysis and the like, plus the xrays and dental, so we
do have a really good idea where she is now.

jmc
Old April 28th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Apr 23, 7:01*pm, jmc wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear nothing's wrong with Meep's heart. At least you did find
out why she's not a very good jumper, although I'm sorry to hear she's
on painkillers. Maybe you can get a two-for-one prescription?

Funny, Hobbes isn't a good jumper either. He's never once gotten on
a counter, so I guess that's a good thing.

Thanks for the update on your kitty.
Old April 28th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Stan Brown exclaimed (4/23/2009 11:38 PM):
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:01:43 -0400 from jmc
:
So now I think we have a full assessment of her current issues, and
a treatment plan to go forward with. Kind of sucks that she's got
enough discomfort now to need a constant painkiller, but there you
go.

I agree with the "sucks" part, but what a relief to have solid
diagnoses and a plan! Thanks for sharing this.

Yes, over the last month, she's had a complete workup, with cardio, full
blood panel, urinalysis and the like, plus the xrays and dental, so we
do have a really good idea where she is now.

jmc

Wow! You have covered all of the bases.

I am always interested in your posts about Meep, who is slightly
older than Ming and shares some of his problems.

--
Jean B.