Do Cats Smile?

Old December 21st 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tom Choad

Default Do Cats Smile?

My roommate's cat is laying down purring and I notice the sides of her
mouth are upturned. Does that means she is smiling?
Old December 21st 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:25:00 -0800 (PST), Tom Choad
wrote:

My roommate's cat is laying down purring and I notice the sides of her
mouth are upturned. Does that means she is smiling?

No.

Cats, unlike dogs, cannot change the way their mouth/lips appear, aside
from opening and closing them.

I have had cats that have an 'upturn' on the sides of their mouths, as
you describe, but it never changed.
Old December 21st 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Are you sure you aren't viewing her upside down? ...:^)
Old December 21st 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

My roommate's cat is laying down purring and I notice the sides of
her mouth are upturned. Does that means she is smiling?

No.

Cats, unlike dogs, cannot change the way their mouth/lips appear,
aside from opening and closing them.

I have had cats that have an 'upturn' on the sides of their mouths, as
you describe, but it never changed.

I have one who drools a lot, and I thought his lower jaw might have some
misalignment in it. but then someone told me that it is a common cat problem
and his jaw is probably fine.

Old December 22nd 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

My roommate's cat is laying down purring and I notice the sides of
her mouth are upturned. Does that means she is smiling?

No.

Cats, unlike dogs, cannot change the way their mouth/lips appear,
aside from opening and closing them.

I have had cats that have an 'upturn' on the sides of their mouths, as
you describe, but it never changed.

I have one who drools a lot, and I thought his lower jaw might have some
misalignment in it. but then someone told me that it is a common cat problem
and his jaw is probably fine.

Espy almost always looks like he is smiling but sometimes it seems to
go away, mostly when he's clearly ****ed off. So perhaps they can't
change it but Espy sure looks like he can.

Scooter clearly has some mouth deformity. It's hard to tell what it
is, but his teeth aren't really aligned and I can see some gums or
something that looks like it should be part of the inside of the
mouth. It doesn't bother him apparently though he does drool quite a
bit when he's eating. The vet said that it is not uncommon. One of
Scooter's babies had the same thing.
Old December 22nd 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

My B-K only drools when he comes up on my chest while I am sleeping, and
puts his head over my face....:^)

Old December 25th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
SJ

"Tom Choad" wrote in message
My roommate's cat is laying down purring and I notice the sides of her
mouth are upturned. Does that means she is smiling?

I'm not a Vet Behaviorist so I don't know if cats smile. But when my cat
used to lay on her side, very tired and relaxed and purring, her mouth would
curve into a smile.

Old January 6th 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
T[_4_]

In article , weg9
@comcast.net says...

wrote:

My roommate's cat is laying down purring and I notice the sides of
her mouth are upturned. Does that means she is smiling?

No.

Cats, unlike dogs, cannot change the way their mouth/lips appear,
aside from opening and closing them.

I have had cats that have an 'upturn' on the sides of their mouths, as
you describe, but it never changed.

I have one who drools a lot, and I thought his lower jaw might have some
misalignment in it. but then someone told me that it is a common cat problem
and his jaw is probably fine.

Years ago I was doing some work at a buddy's software company. The
company was based on a Llama farm of all things and there were several
resident cats for rodent control, etc.

There was one cat named Quackers who was a serious drooler. Every day at
feeding time this cat would be drooling like a fiend.

OT Need a smile Granby Cat anecdotes 41 May 21st 08 02:08 AM
Does your cat or cats smile all the time? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 9 December 21st 05 05:15 PM
Can cats smile? [email protected] Cats - misc 1 May 5th 05 03:53 AM
Let Us All Have A Smile :) yepp Cat anecdotes 7 April 30th 05 08:06 PM
Do cats smile? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 19 March 9th 04 09:15 PM