gone. :o(

Old October 13th 03, 11:00 PM
Aphrodite's Cat

Default gone. :o(

It turns out that my fosters had an upper respiratory infection- so, today I
had to turn them over to the SPCA to get put down. If treated, it could
have been a total cure or someone could have a sickly cat for the rest of
their lives.

RIP Idwal- light ginger male, all 4s stuck in the food bowl
RIP Anwen- blue, loved to be cuddled while everyone was asleep
RIP Branwyn- torti female, was a mess with her food
RIP Cadfael- champagne male, ate like a gentleman
RIP Llew- dark ginger male, loved to climb the curtains in the kitchen

They're with their mum now. They were very much loved while they were with
me and they will never be forgotten.

*cries some more*

Aphrodite's Cat

---

Old October 14th 03, 12:02 AM
Mary

It turns out that my fosters had an upper respiratory infection- so, today I
had to turn them over to the SPCA to get put down. If treated, it could
have been a total cure or someone could have a sickly cat for the rest of
their lives.

I don't understand. They just needed antibiotics. All of my fosters cats and
kittens had URI. I just gave them clavamox and they were all fine in a few
days. None were sickly forever. Am I missing something here?
Old October 14th 03, 12:47 AM
MaryL

"Mary" wrote in message
It turns out that my fosters had an upper respiratory infection- so,

today I
had to turn them over to the SPCA to get put down. If treated, it could
have been a total cure or someone could have a sickly cat for the rest of
their lives.

I don't understand. They just needed antibiotics. All of my fosters cats

and
kittens had URI. I just gave them clavamox and they were all fine in a few
days. None were sickly forever. Am I missing something here?

I am wondering the same thing. It doesn't make sense to have a policy to
automatically euthanize when they have a foster home with someone who loves
them and is willing to provide care. Why don't they at least give the
kittens a chance?

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 14th 03, 12:52 AM
Aphrodite's Cat

For them, it would be like having a perpetual cold, possibly thousands of
dollars in vet visits over the course of their lives and of course, they
could be potential carriers, causing a spiral of sickness among other cats
in the shelters and in homes.

I trust the vets' advice and I also trust the SPCA inspector's advice.
Besides, they weren't mine to decide on to begin with. We were fostering
them for an animal control officer. They were rightly his. He made the
decision. We have to live with it. I don't have the money to put 5 kittens
on antibiotics, as well as my other 2 if they contracted it. The SPCA
doesn't have the money to do it either. It wasn't my decision and I'm not
going to torture myself with the notion of "what if they were mine".

I stand by the decision of the SPCA. I also stand by my own principles of
not fostering any more kittens. I can not emotionally cope with the loss or
potential loss.
--
Aphrodite's Cat
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Old October 14th 03, 01:05 AM
MaryL

"Aphrodite's Cat" wrote in message
For them, it would be like having a perpetual cold, possibly thousands of
dollars in vet visits over the course of their lives and of course, they
could be potential carriers, causing a spiral of sickness among other cats
in the shelters and in homes.

I trust the vets' advice and I also trust the SPCA inspector's advice.
Besides, they weren't mine to decide on to begin with. We were fostering
them for an animal control officer. They were rightly his. He made the
decision. We have to live with it.

I stand by the decision of the SPCA. I also stand by my own principles of
not fostering any more kittens. I can not emotionally cope with the loss

or
potential loss.
--
Aphrodite's Cat

I still question the SPCA's decision unless there is something here that I
don't know. However, you are not in a position to make the decision -- and
you have my sincere condolences. It must be incredibly painful to be placed
in a position where you must relinquish your charges in that way. As you
said, don't torture yourself.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 14th 03, 01:11 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Aphrodite's Cat composed with style:

I stand by the decision of the SPCA. I also stand by my own
principles of not fostering any more kittens. I can not
emotionally cope with the loss or potential loss.

I'm very sorry you lost the kittens. Bless you for trying and this is
one of the things our local SPCA tells new fosterers: That kittens do
die. They are fragile and they are always exposed to many bugs and
bacteria when they are either at the shelter or at clinics being
vetted. Our SPCA has similar policies about euthanizing kittens,
though they usually give them more of a chance but know you did what
you could do and if you can't handle it, bless you for acknowledging
that in the beginning. I am not sure I could foster sick kittens,
either. I had to "kennel" for 60 cats one long weekend in the summer
and it broke my heart how many were sick and those that didn't make
it. Purrs to you for loving them. Rescue groups have different
policies based on how many resources and volunteers are available to
help. How about fostering the older ones?

Old October 14th 03, 03:46 PM
Mary

He made the
decision. We have to live with it. I don't have the money to put 5 kittens
on antibiotics, as well as my other 2 if they contracted it. The SPCA
doesn't have the money to do it either.

I buy clavamox for $6 a bottle. That's all it would have taken. I don't believe
this is a real post. Every cat I've ever gotten from a shelter had upper
respiratory infections which is easily cured with antibiotics in a few days.
They aren't sick for life. Either the cats had something else like FLV, FIV, or
this post isn't real. If someone couldn't afford $6 for antibiotics, they
couldn't afford catfood or litter. If someone is fostering for the ASPCA, I'd
think they'd give the people some antibiotics for free.
Old October 14th 03, 05:30 PM
frlpwr

Aphrodite's Cat wrote:

For them, it would be like having a perpetual cold, possibly thousands of
dollars in vet visits over the course of their lives and of course, they
could be potential carriers, causing a spiral of sickness among other cats
in the shelters and in homes.

This is ridiculous. One box of Clavamox, enough to treat four kittens
for seven days, costs around $5.00. The only upper respiratory
infection that can last a life time and cause cats to be longterm
carriers is herpes and even this is manageable.

I can't believe any SPCA that is so cavalier about euthanizing treatable
animals can find anyone willing to foster.

Old October 14th 03, 08:38 PM
Aphrodite's Cat

If you think my pain at giving these kittens over to be euthanased is a
joke, then f*ck off.

Fact is that the kittens didn't even belong to the SPCA- and no it's NOT the
ASPCA, it's the RSPCA. I don't live in the States. We were fostering them
for a family who wasn't able to care for them because of their jobs. He
couldn't pay for the antibiotics because things are a bit more expensive
over here than the "everything costs $1" USA.

NNTR, I'm unsubbing to usenet where there aren't as many stupid people who
want to save all the cutsie animals. I live in a world where nothing's
fair. This wasn't fair. I'm going to deal with it. I'm sorry that you
can't.
--
Aphrodite's Cat.