Smudge is too nice!

Old September 1st 03, 12:17 PM

Default Smudge is too nice!

Suddenly, Smudge has become a very cuddly kitty. She's always been
friendly, following me from one room to another, curling up in the
general area whenever I settle down, and often lying on top of me if
I'm on my side on the couch, or in bed.

But all of a sudden, in the past 2-3 days, she's been curling up in
my arms as I type on the computer, a bit like Roxy has always done
(and still does). Smudge likes to rest her chin on my arm, and she'll
stay that way for hours - however long I'm on the computer (which
pathetically can be for hours). It's very sweet. And an entirely new
behavior for her.

What's wrong with her??

Seriously, I wonder if it's related to her other symptoms. She has
lost some weight (7 lbs at the vet this past Thursday, down from 10 lbs
last summer and down from 8 in April). The vet gave her another worming
treatment, in case she has a tapeworm. I gave her another Advantage
dose the other day, in case she's getting worms from fleas. And she's
on antibiotics, as you all know. (Status: I dissolved today's flagyl
pill into some sardine juice and shot it into her mouth with a syringe.
She wasn't thrilled, but it *did go down*!)

I'm just wondering if she's not feeling well, and that's what's making
her more cuddly. Maybe she's more needy right now?

Actually, Roxy's been much more affectionate lately, too. She meows at
me a lot more, and wants more pets and attention, and does her cuddling
thing more often (when Smudge isn't doing it). Maybe they're both just
glad to have Lambchop out of here.

While I type, Smudge's head is bouncing up and down as the muscles in my
wrist are flexing. She's off in dreamland and doesn't appear to notice.
What a weirdo!

Joyce

Old September 1st 03, 12:47 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 9/1/03 6:17
AM:

[...]

has she had a blood panel? Smudge is an indoor kitty and unless she is
catching mice inside, Idon't see how she could get worms. I hope you find
out why she is losing weight.

((hugs))

Karen

Old September 1st 03, 02:46 PM
Marina

wrote
Suddenly, Smudge has become a very cuddly kitty. She's always been
friendly, following me from one room to another, curling up in the
general area whenever I settle down, and often lying on top of me if
I'm on my side on the couch, or in bed.

Joyce, I think it's a pretty good guess that she's happy Lammy is gone,
though that doesn't explain her losing weight.

I'm sorry to bring this up each and every time someone encounters strange
symptoms in a cat, but yes, I am going to suggest a thyroid test. Frank's
and Nikki's symptoms were so very different; Frank lost a lot of weight
though he ate a lot, and Nikki became more affectionate at the same time as
she pulled out the fur on her tummy. Every time Nikki gets extra
affectionate (really *really* needy), I know she hasn't been getting enough
meds in her (it's still a struggle twice a day). So I suggest you get Smudge
tested for hyperthyroidism.

--
Marina

Old September 1st 03, 07:40 PM
Hopitus2

Over the years we've had normally "aloof" cats who only cuddle up to us when
they don't feel good.....and as you know, cats are stoic and don't show pain
unless it's really bad.
Can't dismiss possible illness/feeling poorly.

:

Old September 1st 03, 08:41 PM
Cheryl

wrote in message
Suddenly, Smudge has become a very cuddly kitty. She's always been
friendly, following me from one room to another, curling up in the
general area whenever I settle down, and often lying on top of me if
I'm on my side on the couch, or in bed.

But all of a sudden, in the past 2-3 days, she's been curling up in
my arms as I type on the computer, a bit like Roxy has always done
(and still does).

I agree, she just doesn't feel well and she's cuddly. I sure hope
the Flagyl works for her and she gets to feeling better soon!

Old September 1st 03, 11:09 PM

Karen Chuplis wrote:

has she had a blood panel? Smudge is an indoor kitty and unless she
is catching mice inside, Idon't see how she could get worms. I hope
you find out why she is losing weight.

Yes, she had a full blood panel in April, when I first noticed the
weight loss. Absolutely nothing abnormal showed up. So when I took her
in last week, the vet didn't think it was necessary for her to have
another one.

She's not an indoor-only cat. She regularly goes out on a leash
(unsupervised - but she stays in the bushes in front of my apartment
building). So she could easily get fleas, and probably worms. I don't
know if she catches any mice, but she has caught a couple of birds.

Joyce
Old September 1st 03, 11:11 PM

Marina wrote:

I'm sorry to bring this up each and every time someone encounters strange
symptoms in a cat, but yes, I am going to suggest a thyroid test. Frank's
and Nikki's symptoms were so very different; Frank lost a lot of weight
though he ate a lot, and Nikki became more affectionate at the same time as
she pulled out the fur on her tummy. Every time Nikki gets extra
affectionate (really *really* needy), I know she hasn't been getting enough
meds in her (it's still a struggle twice a day). So I suggest you get
Smudge tested for hyperthyroidism.

Thanks for that idea! You might have brought the subject up before, but
not when *my* cat was having problems, so I haven't had to think of it
before. I'll ask whether thyroid was one of the things tested when she
had her blood panel done back in April.

Thanks,
Joyce
Old September 1st 03, 11:14 PM
Brenda Watkins

wrote in message
[...]

sometimes one of my guys will have what I call a "mommy day," during which
said kitty sticks very close to me, and cries if I go outside. Don't know
what triggers this.
Brenda

Old September 2nd 03, 04:55 AM
Marina

wrote

Thanks for that idea! You might have brought the subject up before, but
not when *my* cat was having problems, so I haven't had to think of it
before. I'll ask whether thyroid was one of the things tested when she
had her blood panel done back in April.

I don't think it would be routinely tested as part of a blood panel,
because, at least here in Finland, the test is pretty expensive (but the
pills are cheap!).

--
Marina