Shrimp Chips

Old November 9th 05, 06:56 PM

Default Shrimp Chips

Thank you Theresa and Howard! I found them!

We live close to a University area (actually, we're considered to live
in the "University District". Which means we have lotsa Asian markets
reasonably close by (by bus, at least). Walked into the first one,
and walked out with two different boxes of shrimp chips. Fried some
up last night, and yumm! Still smiling :-)

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old November 9th 05, 07:21 PM
Yowie

wrote in message
Thank you Theresa and Howard! I found them!

We live close to a University area (actually, we're considered to live
in the "University District". Which means we have lotsa Asian markets
reasonably close by (by bus, at least). Walked into the first one,
and walked out with two different boxes of shrimp chips. Fried some
up last night, and yumm! Still smiling :-)

Do you mean prawn crackers? Sorta transluscent-to clear hard things that you
drop in hot oil, where there almost instantly expand and become light and
fluffy and delicious?

If so, we have those in every supermarket. I"m surprised you had to go to
an Asian store.

Oddly, Shmogg doens't like them, but everyone else does (even Joel who
usually can't stand anything that even hints of seafood flavour)

Yowie

Old November 9th 05, 11:47 PM
Pat

"Yowie" wrote

Do you mean prawn crackers? Sorta transluscent-to clear hard things that
you drop in hot oil, where there almost instantly expand and become light
and fluffy and delicious?

Yeah, my ex turned me on to them. Where he comes from (Indonesia) they call
'em (dunno how to spell it, but it sounds like) "kroopuck".

Old November 10th 05, 12:33 AM
cajunprincess

Pat wrote:
"Yowie" wrote

Do you mean prawn crackers? Sorta transluscent-to clear hard things that
you drop in hot oil, where there almost instantly expand and become light
and fluffy and delicious?

Yeah, my ex turned me on to them. Where he comes from (Indonesia) they call
'em (dunno how to spell it, but it sounds like) "kroopuck".

I had these for the first time last week when I went to a local
Malaysian restaurant. I had never heard of them before but since I
like shrimp I thought it would be interesting-they were served as an
appetizer along with fried squid. Never having seen them, I had to ask
the waitress what the colored bits were. I may have gotten a less than
great rendition of them, because what I ate had pretty much the same
texture and (unfortunately) flavor as styrofoam. The Mee Goreng I had
as the entree was really good, though. I've found a couple of Malysian
restaruants that I'm trying out and it's fascinating to see the mixture
of cultures reflected in the food-Chinese, Indian, and Malay foods all
on one menu.

I discovered in an earlier venture that although I like okra just fine
as a side dish, I'm not crazy about eating half a pound of it as an
entree, even with shrimp paste. :-)

Old November 10th 05, 02:05 AM
meee

you can also cook them in the microwave by spraying both sides with oil and
microwaving on high for a few seconds; watch them, they burn easy.
microwaving makes the flavour better but they're not as light.

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:56:52 GMT, yodeled:

Thank you Theresa and Howard! I found them!

We live close to a University area (actually, we're considered to live
in the "University District". Which means we have lotsa Asian markets
reasonably close by (by bus, at least). Walked into the first one,
and walked out with two different boxes of shrimp chips. Fried some
up last night, and yumm! Still smiling :-)

Ginger-lyn

Did the kitties get any?

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War

Old November 10th 05, 07:16 PM

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:21:09 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

Do you mean prawn crackers? Sorta transluscent-to clear hard things that you
drop in hot oil, where there almost instantly expand and become light and
fluffy and delicious?

Yep, that's them!

If so, we have those in every supermarket. I"m surprised you had to go to
an Asian store.

I guess it's a cultural thing. The grocery store did have one kind of
pre-fried, but I wanted the kind you can fry up. It's so much fun to
watch them poof up. I guess I'm easily amused.

Old November 10th 05, 07:17 PM

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:17:14 -0500, Kreisleriana
wrote:

Did the kitties get any?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Heh -- not yet. But, boy, they sure knew *something* good was up, as
they came up on the couch, noses in the air, sniffing intently,
wondering what in the world that *was* I was eating. I'll give 'em
some eventually ;-)

Old November 10th 05, 08:04 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:17:06 GMT, yodeled:

wrote:

Did the kitties get any?

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Make Levees, Not War

Heh -- not yet. But, boy, they sure knew *something* good was up, as
they came up on the couch, noses in the air, sniffing intently,
wondering what in the world that *was* I was eating. I'll give 'em
some eventually ;-)

Ginger-lyn

Ahhh . . . around here, we call that the "hungry weasel" look.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 10th 05, 09:12 PM
Christina Websell

wrote:

Do you mean prawn crackers? Sorta transluscent-to clear hard things that
you
drop in hot oil, where there almost instantly expand and become light and
fluffy and delicious?

Yep, that's them!

If so, we have those in every supermarket. I"m surprised you had to go to
an Asian store.

I guess it's a cultural thing. The grocery store did have one kind of
pre-fried, but I wanted the kind you can fry up. It's so much fun to
watch them poof up. I guess I'm easily amused.

Oddly, Shmogg doens't like them, but everyone else does (even Joel who
usually can't stand anything that even hints of seafood flavour)

Yowie

Ginger-lyn

The nearest town to me (Leicester) is acknowledged to be the most
multi-cultural town in England. It's lovely.
The cuisine I can access because of this is just superb.
There is a large Indian population here that came over from Kenya in the
60's. I love their food so much that I've taught myself how to cook it.
Yummy, yummy, yummy.
No need for me to go to an Indian restaurant! I'm learning how to cook in
the Chinese way too. I just love Asian food.

Tweed