Ban Those Names!

Old October 29th 04, 04:07 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Ban Those Names!

from the "He's got too much time on his hands" department...

(would you change your kitty's name?)

Brazilian Seeks Ban on Human Pet Names

By Associated Press
Published October 28, 2004, 3:42 PM CDT

BRASILIA, Brazil -- A Brazilian legislator wants to make it illegal to
give pets names that are common among people. Federal congressman
Reinaldo Santos e Silva proposed the law after psychologists suggested
that some children may get depressed when they learn they share their
first name with someone's pet, said Damarias Alves, a spokeswoman for
Silva.

"Names have importance," said Alves. The congressman "wants to
challenge people's assumptions that it's acceptable to give animals
human names," she said.

If the law is passed, pet stores and veterinary clinics would be
required to display a sign noting the prohibition of human first names
for pets.

Brazilians who break the law would be subject to fines or community
service.

Alves admitted the law's chances of passage were slim but said Silva
hoped the bill would call attention to his other efforts to protect
animals.

"He's proposed many laws to protect wildlife in Brazil, but this is
the only one that has ever gotten any attention," Alves said.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old October 29th 04, 04:30 PM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
from the "He's got too much time on his hands" department...

(would you change your kitty's name?)

Brazilian Seeks Ban on Human Pet Names

By Associated Press
Published October 28, 2004, 3:42 PM CDT

BRASILIA, Brazil -- A Brazilian legislator wants to make it illegal to
give pets names that are common among people. Federal congressman
Reinaldo Santos e Silva proposed the law after psychologists suggested
that some children may get depressed when they learn they share their
first name with someone's pet, said Damarias Alves, a spokeswoman for
Silva.

Well that's simply ridiculous (and I'm glad I don't live in Brazil - a
former co-worker told me her fiance's mother couldn't buy land down there by
herself, he has to go do it for her... talk about the Dark Ages).

Why would children get upset if a pet is called Joe or Sam or Frank? This
makes no sense. I think this politician is off his rocker.

Jill

Old October 29th 04, 04:50 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:07:44 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
yodeled:

[...]

What I think they should really do in Brazil, is ban giving "animal"
names to people. When people go around calling themselves XuXu, how
is anybody supposed to know what are "human" or "animal" names?
:P:P:P:P

Theresa

Old October 29th 04, 05:29 PM
Nan

wrote:

[...]

When the DH and I got married my grandmother had a miniature pincer
named Linda Lee. DH and I had both always liked the name Linda so
when our little girl was born we named her Linda Marie and never once
thought about the dog being named Linda. I learned 40+ years later
that the next born thought that we had named our Linda after the dog,
probably because we called her Linda Ree when she was little.

Nan