"EN" cat food...

Old November 21st 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

Default "EN" cat food...

My little (runt) Oscar, my seal point Siamese had to visit TED yesterday.
Oscar "Oskee" has had runny poo for about a month. This was his 2nd visit
yesterday. TED put him on canned "EN Gastro" food. And he wants me to try
and get a CAN A DAY into my little guy!! Oskee is loving it, but he's
eating so much that's he throwing half of it up. I've backed off on the
amount and 'am slowly giving him more and more. My two other cats, Miss
Pooh and Maui, are NOT impressed with the food that Oskee is getting. But,
it is what it is, b/c Oskee weighed in at only 6.8 lbs. I'd love to see him
get to 10 lbs. TED said that Oskee is not undernourished/too thin, but said
that Osk can afford to gain some good weight.

Question is.. anyone familiar with EN canned food? It's $50 for a case of
24 cans.

P.S. Osk is also getting one "sachet" of FortifFlora every morning. It's a
brownish powdered packet... (referred to as "sachet"). Osk loves it. I
mix it with one teaspoon of the EN food. Then, once he's eaten that up, he
gets another heaping tablespoon of the EN. I am now feeding him twice a
day. He loves it!! I am happy that this is working, but would like some
feedback about this "EN" product.

TIA,

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old November 22nd 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Nov 21, 12:23*pm, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~"
wrote:
[...]

·.·´¨ ¨)) *-:¦:-
* * * *¸.·´ *.·´¨¨))
* * * *Laurie
* *((¸¸.·´ *..·´
* * *-:¦:- *((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

If memory serves me right, EN is a specially formulated for pets with
GI issues. all the major food brands like Hills, Eukanuba and Purina
have their own kind.

Hills has I/D, think eukanuba has Intestinal, and Purina is EN. These
fomulations tendfa f assas;lj

(sorry, mayhem walked on the keyboard (and I'm trying to type this
with her in the way.....

These foods are intended to be bland and therefore gentler on the GI
system. You're lucky that he likes it as some animals don't care for
the bland taste. I tried giving Imp I/D when he had diarrhea and he
hated it.

Fortiflora is also good for the GI tract in that it has probiotics, or
helpful bacteria to help the GI tract. Think of it as powdered
yogurt.

And again most cats i've dealt with either turn up their noses or
reluctantly eat it.

You're good to give it to hi m slowly if he's inhaling it and throwing
up. But if he's happily slurping it up, you should be fine.

EN and Fortiflora should really help his poo. Don't know about
putting on weight, but it could help. I've seen cats have GI
prescription food for the rest of their lives and they've been happy,
so if he likes it, don't knock it. :P

hope this helps,

Kristi
Old November 22nd 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote

| My little (runt) Oscar, my seal point Siamese had to visit TED yesterday.
| Oscar "Oskee" has had runny poo for about a month. This was his 2nd visit
| yesterday. TED put him on canned "EN Gastro" food. And he wants me to
try
| and get a CAN A DAY into my little guy!! Oskee is loving it, but he's
| eating so much that's he throwing half of it up. I've backed off on the
| amount and 'am slowly giving him more and more. My two other cats, Miss
| Pooh and Maui, are NOT impressed with the food that Oskee is getting.
But,
| it is what it is, b/c Oskee weighed in at only 6.8 lbs. I'd love to see
him
| get to 10 lbs. TED said that Oskee is not undernourished/too thin, but
said
| that Osk can afford to gain some good weight.
|
| Question is.. anyone familiar with EN canned food? It's $50 for a case
of
| 24 cans.
|
| P.S. Osk is also getting one "sachet" of FortifFlora every morning. It's
| brownish powdered packet... (referred to as "sachet"). Osk loves it. I
| mix it with one teaspoon of the EN food. Then, once he's eaten that up,
he
| gets another heaping tablespoon of the EN. I am now feeding him twice a
| day. He loves it!! I am happy that this is working, but would like some
| feedback about this "EN" product.

Abelard was about in the same situation a while ago. He had gained back all
the weight he lost when he was sick in '08, then started throwing up a lot
and went down to 6.9 lbs.

We took him to TED about two months ago for a checkup, he had high white
cells, no heartworm, no other problems except his skin keeps breaking out.
He got 10 days of Baytril 22.5 mg plus an injection. We feed him separately
and he eats like a little horse. We add about 1/2 tsp. powdered kelp and 1/4
tsp. PetGuard digestive enzymes plus he got probiotics during and for a few
weeks after the antibiotic. He was getting wet food twice a day and would
occasionally hoover up some kibble in the other cats' dish as well.

Then last week he started getting diarrhea and vomiting occasionally, so we
switched him over to a special ProPlan dry formula for sensitive digestion
and skin/coat issues. What a find!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JQRJA

It's not cheap but not terribly expensive either. Because of his lack of
teeth, we moisten the kibble. It barely has a smell that I can detect so it
must be bland. Lamb is the main ingredient. He loves it and is gaining
weight again, and the diarrhea/vomitin have been corrected.

One more thing you might try is adding Vitamin D to the food. We've been
giving 5,000 I.U. mixed into wet food and divided between the 15 cats twice
a week. We started it experimentally because some of them started getting
URIs and I know that Vit. D really boosts the immune system. Well it made
short work of the URIs and seems to be helping Abelard's overall health
also.