Question about household cleaners

Old May 12th 04, 01:35 AM

Default Question about household cleaners

So I'm changing the litterbox again. I just changed it about a week
ago, and that's way too soon for clumping litter. I scoop it daily,
but I should expect to have to change it completely only once every
two or three weeks. The problem is, after I put the new litter in
last week, it started to smell again within a couple of days. Scooping
daily doesn't help.

I've never had this problem before, and I've been using this litter
for several months. I'm thinking that maybe it's the cleaning stuff
I soak the box in after dumping out the old litter. I use this stuff
called "Simple Green", an environmentally friendly solution that's
not hazardous to humans or pets. Unfortunately, I think it's also not
hazardous to bacteria. So I'd like to find something that's more
effective, but still safe for the mammals in the house.

I know not to use Lysol, or any pine-based cleaner. 409 also has a
warning about being unsafe for kids and pets. And I don't want to
use ammonia, because then the cats might think some unknown cat has
peed there recently. (I also can't stand the smell of ammonia
myself.) What else is there?

Or would it be OK to use one of the harmful ones, as long as I rinse
the box well and dry it thoroughly? I always put the box in the bathtub
and fill it with water and cleaning stuff, and let it soak a while before
scrubbing it. The tub has hard plastic doors, which I can close so
kitties can't get near it while it's soaking. So is there any harm in
using Lysol to clean it, as long as none of it remains on the box when
I refill it with new litter?

Joyce
Old May 12th 04, 01:43 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 5/11/04 7:35
PM:

[...]

I'm thinking it's the microscopic scratches in the plastic that are making
it stink so fast. I think I'd skip the cleaner and get a new box. Otherwise,
why not try natures antibiotic and use vinegar water.

Karen

Old May 12th 04, 01:43 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 5/11/04 7:35
PM:

Old May 12th 04, 01:53 AM
Jo Firey

I can't stand the smell of Simple Green, but it is a good cleaner. I just
clean the litter box with whatever is handy out in the driveway. Dish soap
or 409 usually. But mostly rinse thoroughly and let it dry in the sun.
(Natures best disinfectant)

I use the type of litter box that has two trays and a sifting tray plus a
shield, and it was a problem to get it clean and dry after a complete
changeout. I finally bought a second set so that won't be a problem.

Jo

Old May 12th 04, 02:01 AM

Karen Chuplis wrote:

I'm thinking it's the microscopic scratches in the plastic that are
making it stink so fast. I think I'd skip the cleaner and get a new
box. Otherwise, why not try natures antibiotic and use vinegar water.

Both of these are excellent solutions, thank you! It's true that this is
not a new litterbox, and probably it is time for a new one. Forgot about
vinegar!

Joyce

Old May 12th 04, 02:04 AM
Sherry

Joyce, as far as being both effective and economical, you just can't beat plain
old bleach. A 50% mix with water will kill just about any bacteria, even parvo.
That's why most shelters use it. It sounds like you're very careful to make
sure the box is dry, so it's not going to be harmful at all to your cats. I
take my boxes outside, soak them in bleach and sun-dry them about once a week.

Sherry

Old May 12th 04, 02:07 AM
Sherry

I can't stand the smell of Simple Green, but it is a good cleaner.

I love the smell of Simple Green! All the guys at the bowling alley always
cleaned their balls with it. I finally asked someone what it was he was using
on his ball. That's the first time I ever heard of the sutff.

Sherry