moral question :patio JO

Old October 7th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default moral question :patio JO

ok we have another kitten that showed up a couple of weeks back, beautiful
white long haired Siamese mix, she is a true looker and a total and complete
lap fungus at about 12 weeks.

she had on a flea collar so we assumed she just had the misfortune of having
stupid people who didn't know she was too young to be out. our area is
pretty safe so DH put out food and water and let her sit on his lap while we
are out there. She told me immediately what her name is and had a major
purr fest when I said it out loud. about 2 weeks has passed and we had
brought her in for the night when it was going to storm. She goes and
explores during the day but if she hears the door she comes running to sit
on DH.

We had decided since Tiger isn't freaking out that we would bring her into
the kitty suite and look for her a home, I called for that appointment that
does all of the tests and that was that...

Then DH got some tomatoes from the neighbor... he showed the neighbor the
kitten and he said he thought it belonged to the people on the corner...
The people with the large dog that runs lose and looks sorta mean. Their
some as rode by on his bike and saw Jo on our patio, The dog runs lose, and
Jo hides when she sees any dog in the area. The neighbors is upset because
the village gave him crap over his dog being lose, an older very well
behaved non barking sort, and yet this huge thing runs loose...

what would you do? take the kitten to them, continue with rehomeing or
what. no one from their house has knocked on the door or asked about Jo at
the post office, and there are no flyers or posters anywhere.

Lee

Old October 7th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

You already know the answer. Cats choose their slaves - not the
other way around. It looks like you've been chosen.

Old October 7th 07, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

yeah, she know the answer but the key word was "moral question" Myself, I
would continue to rehome, after all this time, they must not want it very
bad. It is sort of like DCFS, you take an abused neglected away from a bad
situation, then give it back for history to repeat itself, I think not.
"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...

Old October 7th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

we cannot keep her, we are at our limit, both emotionally and financially as
well as legally, 4 of our six are over 6 and it would be irresponsible to
bring another kitten into the house, besides tiger gets way too stressed so
we can't for his sake, when we had Lewi*patch* the deaf cat that went to
Granby's son, then another kitten right after that we had to get tiger a
steroid shot for overgrooming, Lee

Old October 7th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

this is how DH and I feel I just wanted other feedback so as to convince
myself I am not being radical, Lee

Old October 7th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you are in effect asking two questions here, what is the "moral" thing
to do, and what I would do.

I think the thing to do that satisfies most ethical standards would be to
tell the people you have the kitten, and ask them if they would like you to
rehome her, and then stand firm and take all the crap they dish out. But
knowing that would be the most moral thing to do, I still would not do that.
I am not a hero, and I don't think the situation calls for heroism. You
just want to save this precious little kitten. I would not talk to them. I
would quietly (as possible) rehome the kitten.

Old October 7th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

This is one occasion when I think the moral thing to do is *not* to contact
the people who may "own" this kitten. In effect, they are abusing it by not
taking care of it, and they are placing it in a position of jeopardy if you
described the situation with the dog correctly. It sounds like they may be
violating a village ordinance by letting the dog roam (although that part is
not clear from your message -- I'm inferring it from your comment about the
older dog that ran loose).

It would be ideal if you could keep it indoors because it sounds like you
already have a lovefest going, but you would be risking the possibility that
these people would learn where the cat is. So, I think the best option for
little Jo is to find a home for her at some distance away where the
neighbors are not likely to see and recognize her.

This is my answer to your moral dilemma -- but may not be the same as an
answer to a "legal" question since the flea collar shows that the cat has an
"owner" and someone identified that family for you.

MaryL

Old October 7th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Oct 7, 5:04 am, "Stormmee" wrote:
[...]

This moral question is completely binary, in my opinion.

If cats are property, or simply property, I would take the kitten to
the people and explain my position and do as they wish, no matter how
hard that may be.

If cats are more than property then I would re-home the kitty.

I believe that cats can be loosely treated as property in many
situations where it does not harm the interests of the cat. However, I
believe cats to be more than property and I think the moral thing to
do is re-home the cat.

I feel the same way about d*gs and horses and other animals that are
kept as companions. Although it is very hard to conceal a horse that
one is re-homing.

Will in New Haven

--

"Phil's last book was called _Play Poker like the Pros_ his next book
should be called _Cry Like a Baby_" Norm Chad

Lee

Old October 7th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 7 Oct, 09:06, Will in New Haven
wrote:

.. Although it is very hard to conceal a horse that
one is re-homing.

I do so hope you are not speaking from experience there!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old October 7th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

Normally, I'd return the cat if I thought the neighbors cared about it at
all. I try not to judge how others take care of their kids or their pets
short of abuse.

Or if they didn't care, and I wanted to, I'd keep her.

However, there are down sides to either keeping her or giving her back.
Give her back, something awful happens to her and you either see it happen
or know about it, because you live right there. Keep her and get more and
more attached only to have them take her away. (We have a neighbor decide
weeks after they moved to come back for the cat they totally neglected while
they lived here. By then he had pretty much moved in and was our cats
bestest friend)

So rehoming elsewhere looks like the safest option, both for her and for
you.

Jo

Patio JO Stormmee Cat anecdotes 6 October 2nd 07 09:13 AM
taking the plunge - moral support Sue[_2_] Cat anecdotes 36 September 9th 07 02:10 PM
[OT] Moral Dilemma Yowie Cat anecdotes 23 July 11th 07 01:12 PM
A kitty fairy tale, with moral Enfilade Cat anecdotes 5 December 5th 04 04:07 PM
Screened patio John Biltz Cat anecdotes 8 March 3rd 04 06:34 AM