For those who live in Florida Rabies alert

Old December 29th 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default For those who live in Florida Rabies alert

"dnr" wrote in message
news
it's the law to give
cats/dogs rabies shots here also but believe me the cops are too busy to
run around looking for pets not having rabies tags, LOL. We do not live in
Florida.

As far as I know, cats are still not required to have rabies shots in
California. And that reminds me, required or not I need to get Molly in for
her shot. She most definitely is an outdoor cat and rabies season will be
here shortly. In addition to protecting her health, the shot insures we
won't have to pay for very expensive quarantine if there is another local
rabies problem such as we had several years ago. We will go with the one
year shot since she does actually need the full protection.

Jo

Old December 29th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes cybercat wrote:

I'm with you, Old Salt, but the UK crowd is going to disagree. They have
this "be fwee, wild creature" thing going, though of course cats are not
wild at all.

Maybe this is because the UK has been almost 100% rabies-free for the
past 100 years? Also, there are no predators of cats in that part of the
world. So in rural and even suburban areas, it's reasonably safe for a
cat to go outdoors. Certainly, for the benefits to the cat, it's worth
whatever risks there are.

The risks are much greater in the US, but I would respect most who
choose to let their cats out (depending on the environment), because I
think there are compelling arguments on both sides of that issue. And
anyway, didn't we agree not to judge each other about this? It would
only develop into a flame war which will never be resolved.

Joyce

PS - trimmed newsgroups to RPCA
Old December 30th 05, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree as well. I have 5 babies and none of them even want to go outside.
They were all orphans at one time, all from different litters, and were
outside. They know where the good life is.
"cybercat" wrote in message

"Old Salt" wrote in message
oups.com...

NMR wrote:
Rabies alert in Osceola county

http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d... 2292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

I am of the opinion that cats should live only indoors in the lap of
luxury with all necessary vaccinations. This will in fact eliminate the
possibility of rabies and numerous other feline diseases.

Old December 30th 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
Rabies alert in Osceola county

http://www.local6.com/news/5699220/d...d=265305504881
3&tml=orlpn_dailyforecast&tmi=orlpn_dailyforecast_ 1_04000112292005&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/cxtvr

Supposedly, Pasco County, where I live, has the largest incidences of
rabies
right now. It's illegal to not immunize your animals yearly. I'm
oscillating between getting fined or giving my "kids" another yearly
rabies
shot, however. I've heard they can contract some sort of illness from
the
yearly shots and all the immunization they need is every *3* years. My
cats
are indoor cats anyway.

Does anyone else have info on this?

kili

which of the vets around is 'your' vet ??
we have been here in pasco county for 3 years now....... koko ( the cat
with feline herpes) was a few months late getting her shots, cuz she
was ill at the time they were due... the vet agreed with me to wait
until she was not having an outbreak.

laur

mom to
kady koko and d*g gabby
www.richandlaurie.com

Old December 30th 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"laurie w" wrote in message
.. .

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I live in Zephyrhills and I go to Dr. Roberts off 301. I like him and he
really seems to love animals. Some vets are cold, you know? Where are you
located?

kili

Old December 30th 05, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

And my cat is desperate to get out all the time. I don't think it's
because she's mistreated. Some cats want different things.

Old December 31st 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"kilikini" wrote in message
. ..

"laurie w" wrote in message
.. .

"kilikini" wrote in message
.. .

"NMR" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

We are near rt 19, and go to pasco animal hospital on 19 just north of
main st in new port richey, they are just south of a lincoln mercury
dealership there. It was a practice of 3 vets, and was just bought out
by a newcomer to the area, and only one of the former vets stayed.
Prices have of course tripled.... they do a lot more 'preventative'
measures now, covering their butts and recommending lots of testing and
doing xrays and stuff...... spay/neuter used to cost 50-75 ish bucs, now
its 125...they do preop tests...use the new meds for anesthesia and
stuff.. I guess I liked it more in the olden days when if i wanted the
fancy stuff, I could ask for it, but if things were routine, then all
was ok, and it didnt cost a fortune. Never once had they recommended
dental cleanings for our doggie, and the first time she was seen by the
new regeime, it was she needs cleaning, needs anesthesia, needs preop
testing before anesthesia, needs to have a test done on her heart before
anesthesia because of a heart murmmer. The ultimate cost for a very
needed teeth cleaning was $1800 - but no previous vet ever even
recommended it.
We also have Koko who i have written about previously who has recurrent
uri's and feline herpes. The 'new' improved vet has never even heard
of 3/4 of the meds that she is on, but when i read online about feline
herpes, its not really NEW treatments, or NEW meds that she is on.....
So , we just go with the flow sorta, and see how they do treating her.

this page http://pascoanimalhospital.com/750722.html has a pic of koko
when she was just a tiny baby....... the staff there are wonderful to
us, always take us if there is an emergency (during normal times) ......
so that is mostly why we have stayed so far.
And i guess, because when we do want to try something new or that they
havent heard of, they do at least try to work with us, at least so far.

laurie
www.richandlaurie.com

koko
kady