For US Cellphone holders

Old June 29th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default For US Cellphone holders

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew wrote:
Remember they are going to release cell phone numbers as general 411
information available soon. telemarketers will be able to solicit you in
another annoying way

Make sure you register at www.donotcall.gov

I don't think that's true. The FCC still prohibits telemarketers from
calling your cell phone. Telemarketers can't call your cell phone
without your permission.

Sherry

Not no more they soon will be able to hence the message post

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDet...cfm?Id=0,48876

"CAN TELEMARKETERS CALL YOUR CELL PHONE?

An e-mail circulating around KELOLAND warns that your cell phone number
will soon be in the hands of telemarketers, and you'll receive
solicitations on your wireless phone.

The e-mail says "In 19 days from today, all cell phone numbers are
being released to telemarketing companies, and you'll start to receive
sale calls." It also warns, "You will be charged for the calls."

We did some digging, and found out it's not true. A representative from
the National Do Not Call Registry tells KELOLAND News the e-mail is a
hoax.

The Do Not Call Registry's website says the FCC prohibits telemarketers
from calling your cell phones without your permission.

If you do get a solicitation call on your cell phone, it's illegal and
you can file a complaint with the National Do Not Call Registry.

The telecommunications industry is talking about creating a 411
wireless directory that would allow companies to call your cell phone,
but only if you sign up for it.

--Katie Janssen
KELOLAND TV

Old June 29th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shel-hed

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:19:32 GMT, "Matthew"
A bunch of crap.
Old June 29th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I hope it's more effective with "normal" telemarketers than
it was with political calls during California's Primary
elections a couple weeks ago!

LOL - so who is "Sherry Drake" anyway??

(To those who are neither California residents nor registered US
Democrats, an explanation: I got all these calls, too, many of them
from a mysterious woman named Sherry Drake, who called every single
day. Or, rather, an automated call with a recording from her was
placed to my phone every day.)

I also got tons and tons of junk mail about it. You'd think this
was the presidential election of the century, instead of just a
mid-term election. I'll bet the trees that were still standing the
day after the election had a big party!

Joyce
Old June 29th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

I rather be wrong than be sorry

"Shel-hed" wrote in message

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:19:32 GMT, "Matthew"

wrote:
A bunch of crap.

And I don't know whether to tell you to kiss off or just add you to the
delete list maybe both we shall see

Old June 29th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:
Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Make sure you register at www.donotcall.gov

[...]

A few more articles I ran across. This must have originated as an
e-mail hoax.

YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER WON'T BE GIVEN TO TELEMARKETERS
http://www.hutchnews.com/news/local/...ne061606.shtml

MID-DAY BUSINESS REPORT; CELLPHONE HOAX WON'T DIE
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14887188.htm

RUMORS WARN OF 411 WIRELESS DIRECTORY
http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.a...37760&nav=0qq6

Old June 29th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Make sure you register at www.donotcall.gov

[...]

The bad thing was I was watching this on the news that is why I posted it.
They were talking about how much charges would be if the telemarketers were
allowed to text message like they are doing over in Japan where hundreds of
dollars are being racked up on peoples phones from the text messages

Old June 29th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Make sure you register at www.donotcall.gov

[...]

Oh man. That would make me mad. We have one particular station that is
notortious for alarmist/sensationalistic "news". I never watch it
anymore.
Text messaging sounds like a marvelous telemarketer's tool. If they
ever *did* start mass-calling that way it would be horrible.

Sherry

Sherry

Old June 29th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Make sure you register at www.donotcall.gov

[...]

There was one guy over in Japan that reported $1200.00 cell bill from text
messaging the telemarketers were sending so many ads that he was unable
to even dial his phone for the text messages would not stop long enough to
dial. Luckily for him his cell service cancelled the number and gave him a
new number

..

Old June 29th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
oups.com...

Make sure you register at www.donotcall.gov

I don't think that's true. The FCC still prohibits telemarketers from
calling your cell phone. Telemarketers can't call your cell phone
without your permission.

Sherry

You're right, as far as I can tell. I just checked with Snopes (my favorite
source for urban legend info), and Snopes indicates that the reports are
"false." Here's the citation: