For Tweed

Old January 2nd 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default For Tweed

Someone posted this on my diabetes board. I thought of you and your
geese. I can't read it but I was told this woman saved the goose from a
restaurant and rehabilitated it. Some really cute pictures if you
scroll down.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_59c1ca130100bw5v.html

Old January 3rd 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Karen" wrote in message
Someone posted this on my diabetes board. I thought of you and your geese.
I can't read it but I was told this woman saved the goose from a
restaurant and rehabilitated it. Some really cute pictures if you scroll
down.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_59c1ca130100bw5v.html

I can't read it either, the text is just all little boxes, but I did see one
photo which looked looked exactly like my Honk (RB 2005)
Thanks for thinking of me.
I love geese. I sort of inherited a couple when some neighbours moved away.
They hadn't got their act together in time to get a hut up for them and some
hens they had at their new property so weren't quite sure what to do with
them. I said I would take them. I had already kept hens but never geese.
This was in the 80's.
It's the story of my life really. "Got an animal/bird you don't want? Ask
Tweed, she's soft enough to have it, especially if you say you'll have to
have it put down otherwise.."
I never regretted homing those two geese. I would never have known how great
geese were otherwise. They are very intelligent.
A manager at work said to me some years ago "you do realise you've ruined
my Christmas dinner for ever, don't you?" I replied "Why?" She said
"Because I *always* have goose for my Christmas dinner and your stories
about your geese mean I don't think I'll be able to eat one ever again!"
I don't think she ever has, either ;-)

I could never eat a goose myself. I can eat chicken with no problem at all
even though I keep chickens too. It's somehow different. Geese mate for
life. One of my ganders came to up the house to fetch me once (sort of like
Lassie. Tommy's in the well.) and seemed to want me to follow him. I
followed him 100 yards to where his "wife" lay dead. She was still quite
young, only around 4, no reason for death, must have been a heart attack.

Now if a cockerel died in the chicken pen, would the hens mind, or even
notice? No. An elderly cockerel died without warning overnight (by this I
mean he'd showed no sign of illness) on Christmas Eve . Did his two hens
bring my attention to it? No. I only realised when he didn't emerge from
his night time accommodation for his food in the morning. Should I have not
investigated this he would have laid dead in there for a while.

That's the difference between chickens and geese. Geese are very attached
to their partners and will alert their owners immediately if anything is
wrong.
Geese are great. I know people say they are aggressive but I haven't found
that. My ganders would threaten me a bit if I approached their goose when
sitting on eggs but they never followed through.
However maybe it's a bit different if the geese are not your own. I assured
my builder that my gander would be fine if he went on to the lawn where the
geese were grazing to pick up some paving slabs that were stored there.
This was Hissing Syd. He was gentle with me always. The moment the builder
went to get the slabs he just launched himself at him and a very scared
builder came rushing back up to the house saying "I thought you said the
goose was all right!"
I thought he was ;-)

Tweed

Old January 3rd 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Christina Websell kirjoitti:
"Karen" wrote in message
Someone posted this on my diabetes board. I thought of you and your geese.
I can't read it but I was told this woman saved the goose from a
restaurant and rehabilitated it. Some really cute pictures if you scroll
down.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_59c1ca130100bw5v.html

I can't read it either, the text is just all little boxes, but I did see one
photo which looked looked exactly like my Honk (RB 2005)
Thanks for thinking of me.

snip

The text seems to be either Chinese or Japanese - I cannot tell them
apart as I speak neither... I guess that Alphonse or Cantate might
possibly be able to read the text.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old January 3rd 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_59c1ca130100bw5v.html

I can't read it either, the text is just all little boxes, but I did
see one photo which looked looked exactly like my Honk (RB 2005)

The little boxes mean you don't have the font required to display the
character set that was used (ie, the alphabet - probably an Asian language).
Of course, unless you read that language, having the right font wouldn't
help much.

Let's see, the ".cn" suffix means what? I'm trying to think. ".ch" is
for China, right? Does anyone know if there's a site that lists all the
country domain suffixes, so I could just look that up?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old January 3rd 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Jan 3, 6:29*pm, wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

* "Karen" wrote in message

*http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_59c1ca130100bw5v.html

* I can't read it either, the text is just all little boxes, but I did
* see one photo which looked looked exactly like my Honk (RB 2005)

The little boxes mean you don't have the font required to display the
character set that was used (ie, the alphabet - probably an Asian language).
Of course, unless you read that language, having the right font wouldn't
help much.

Let's see, the ".cn" suffix means what? I'm trying to think. ".ch" is
for China, right? Does anyone know if there's a site that lists all the
country domain suffixes, so I could just look that up?

--
Joyce * ^..^

Yes it is in Chinese, the simplified version. I can read it. The text
mainly described
how the bird was saved from being killed for dinner and went on live
in the city with
the woman with whom it became friends. It urges people to treasure all
the beautiful
animals.

Winnie
Old January 4th 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 03 Jan 2009 23:29:25 GMT, wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a site that lists all the
country domain suffixes, so I could just look that up?

http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/

..cn = China

..ch = Switzerland (Confoederatio Helvetica)

Bud
Old January 4th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

William Hamblen wrote:

On 03 Jan 2009 23:29:25 GMT, wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a site that lists all the
country domain suffixes, so I could just look that up?

http://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/

.cn = China
.ch = Switzerland (Confoederatio Helvetica)

Oh! I stand corrected. I've always thought ".ch" was China. (And I
never realized that "Helvetica" was anything other than the name of
a font. )

Thanks for the link!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old January 4th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_59c1ca130100bw5v.html

I can't read it either, the text is just all little boxes, but I did
see one photo which looked looked exactly like my Honk (RB 2005)

The little boxes mean you don't have the font required to display the
character set that was used (ie, the alphabet - probably an Asian
language). Of course, unless you read that language, having the right
font wouldn't help much.

Let's see, the ".cn" suffix means what? I'm trying to think. ".ch" is
for China, right? Does anyone know if there's a site that lists all
the country domain suffixes, so I could just look that up?

..cn is China, .ch is Switzerland.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old January 4th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 3, 10:06*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
*The moment the builder
went to get the slabs he just launched himself at him and a very scared
builder came rushing *back up to the house saying "I thought you said the
goose was all right!"
I thought he was ;-)

Geese were the only thing that ever freaked Speedy Joe. A friend of
ours had some and suggested geese as a natural environmentally
friendly way to deal with the small but completely overgrown lawn at
our new flat (This was before we moved here) and duly brought them
along and released them into the garden. Well they did a wonderful
job and had a good feed into the bargain but Speedy Joe saw them....I
suppose his first thought was "birdies" so he got into position to
pounce on them , did the bottom waggle then ;leapt.....One of the
geese hissed at him in mid leap and he immediately aborted his attempt
(I swear he managed to reverse in mid air!) bolted through the living
room windown and hid under the bed until they were gone!

this is a cat that once stole a bone off a neighbour's Doberman...

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 4th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

wrote:
[...]

I wish we had a movie of that -- it is too funny!MLB

Ping Tweed [email protected] Cat anecdotes 2 June 22nd 08 09:27 PM
ping tweed Stormmee Cat anecdotes 2 April 29th 08 02:05 AM
For Tweed and Rob Marina Cat anecdotes 3 February 15th 07 11:48 AM
Tweed! Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 1 December 18th 05 05:20 AM
Tweed has had her op Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 12 May 18th 05 04:29 AM