taste...

Old February 21st 05, 08:51 PM
Joe Canuck

Default taste...

Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the
humans buying the food.

LOL
Old February 21st 05, 08:55 PM
kitkat

Joe Canuck wrote:
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the
humans buying the food.

C'mon now!!! Obviously cats can READ the bag and all! Or are your cats
ILLITERATE?!!

Old February 21st 05, 08:57 PM
Mary

"Joe Canuck" wrote:

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the

humans buying the food.

LOL

I agree, and I think it is intentional! After all, how many cats can read?!

Old February 21st 05, 09:08 PM
Justin L

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:51:26 -0500, Joe Canuck
wrote:

Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

to be sure, you would have to taste it.

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

No, I have honestly been thinking about trying some, I just haven't
been hungry/brave/bored enough yet.

If so, did it taste great?

The Wellness canned food smells pretty good, so it might be tasty.

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

If they eat it, it probably tastes ok to them...I know when mine hear
the sound of a can being opened, they sure run for the kitchen in
search of the source.

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the
humans buying the food.

I think you may be right.

Justin

Old February 21st 05, 09:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-21, Justin L penned:

The Wellness canned food smells pretty good, so it might be tasty.

No kidding! I've been tempted to dip a cracker in that stuff myself ...

ahem ...

If they eat it, it probably tastes ok to them...I know when mine hear the
sound of a can being opened, they sure run for the kitchen in search of the
source.

Oscar seems to prefer the strongest-smelling of the canned stuff. It seems
odd to me, because she's never minded eating dry food, which doesn't have a
strong smell at all.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 21st 05, 09:36 PM
Steve G

On 2005-02-21, Justin L penned:

The Wellness canned food smells pretty good, so it might be tasty.

No kidding! I've been tempted to dip a cracker in that stuff myself

Yer all bloody weird. It smells like the foul scrapings from Satan's
sausage, if you ask me (not that you did). SD smells relatively
inoffensive to me, whereas Active Life and Spot's Stew smell fine - but
they're basically human food in a tin. That's food for humans, not food
consisting of humans. I think. I kind of like the smell of t/d - smells
damn odd, sort of like crackers struggling with substance abuse, but I
sort of like it.

I once tried a piece of Innova (?) dry. It was bland.

Anyway, it is possible to establish taste preferences in animals, so
the 'tastes great' label might not be so wayward. (Well OK, it might be
'tastes better than other foods, but still tastes like ****e').

Steve.

Old February 21st 05, 09:45 PM
Joe Canuck

kitkat wrote:

Joe Canuck wrote:

Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the
humans buying the food.

C'mon now!!! Obviously cats can READ the bag and all! Or are your cats
ILLITERATE?!!

My cat seems to be able to read me like a book, but still cannot read
the book.

Old February 21st 05, 09:53 PM
Joe Canuck

On 2005-02-21, Justin L penned:

[...]

I was going to get into a big discussion about this "great taste" issue
with the person behind the counter at the pet store, but thought the
better of it... perhaps next time. The poor girl might have thought I
was completely nuts, not that she doesn't think that anyway.

After all, they have all the different varieties right there in the
store... we could do a taste comparison test. I'll bring the crackers.
Some of that canned cat food seems to have the same texture and
consistency as pate. I could probadly serve it next Christmas to the
relatives and get them to do a blind taste test. Hehehe...

....and... "great taste" compared to what??? Other cat food, human food,
dog food, that stuff left in the bottom of the sink when the dishes are
done???

Old February 21st 05, 10:07 PM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

On 2005-02-21, Justin L penned:

The Wellness canned food smells pretty good, so it might be tasty.

No kidding! I've been tempted to dip a cracker in that stuff myself

Yer all bloody weird. It smells like the foul scrapings from Satan's
sausage, if you ask me (not that you did).

Run into the scrapings from Satan's sausage often, do you?

Old February 21st 05, 10:25 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Just brought another bag of Science Diet home and noticed this text
"...great taste..." on the bag.

How are we to know it tastes great?

Has anyone here ever been so brave as to taste the stuff?

If so, did it taste great?

Do you think your cat will agree with your assessement of the taste?

Not necessarily (depends, after all - some cats love human food & some
don't), but then I have to assume that the "great taste" is in light of a
cat's idea of taste, not necessarily a human's...

I think this "...great taste..." rhetoric is designed to appeal to the
humans buying the food.

However, of course this is true.

Cathy

LOL