How many RPCAers does it take to change a light bulb?

Old September 2nd 05, 10:57 PM

Default How many RPCAers does it take to change a light bulb?

Itsa Joke wrote:

How many RPCAers does it take to change a light bulb?

(1) to post that their light doesn't work

Usually it's running around 6.

(50) to offer purrs for the OP and the light
(1) to tell the OP that the bulb is burned out

I don't understand this.

(20) to tell that person that they're being cruel to the OP

It'a running around 10 so far.

(50) to post "troll","killfile" and "PLONK"

This is way too high. Around 6-7.

(1) to post some useless information about light bulbs

This is me. Did you know that in the middle of the color spectrum
you'll find that the human eye is most sensitive? Now I wonder which
color is most sensitive for cats? Does anyone know? This is not useless
information since a green night light for me may be optimal but
sub-optimal for my cat. So if I want to see the cat, but not have the
cat see me...

(5) to thank that person for the useless information

This is way too low, LOL, ROTLMAO, more like 10,000,000 without
exaggeration.

(30) to tell the OP that the light bulb is waiting for them at
the rainbow bridge.

This is a touchy subject. You have something against the easter bunny?

(10) to discuss their recent bout of depression

I wish more of us would discuss our recent bouts of depression. You
have something against us defectives? Not all of us can be such
drunkards as yourself. Don't get me wrong. I'm not being judgmental.
Just can't afford all that good wine.

You're obnoxious but not too unoriginal. I'll bet your really kind, at
least to our cats, yes?

Old September 2nd 05, 11:16 PM
Yowie

wrote in message
oups.com...

This is me. Did you know that in the middle of the color spectrum
you'll find that the human eye is most sensitive? Now I wonder which
color is most sensitive for cats? Does anyone know? This is not useless
information since a green night light for me may be optimal but
sub-optimal for my cat. So if I want to see the cat, but not have the
cat see me...

Cats have *far* better vision in low light than humans, so even if you adopt
a red bulb (cats apparantly don't see the extreme res end of the visible
colour spectrum), your cat will stil be able to see better than you will.

However, for psychological purposes, a red bulb as a night light works
better than any other wavelength because it is the lowest energy in the
visible spectrum and doens't have the psychological "wake up" effect of blue
light. If red is too disturbing, try a soft orange lamp.

Cheers,

Yowie

Old September 2nd 05, 11:19 PM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
oups.com...
Itsa Joke wrote:

[...]

Anyone want to know a lot about light bulbs? I can tell you more than you
ever wanted as I used to work for a manufacturer of them for 17 years. They
are not actually called light bulbs in the trade, they are called *lamps*
Any more anyone? ;-)

Tweed

Old September 2nd 05, 11:32 PM
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

And this is actually very useful information. If I wake up at night I want
to know what time it is. I'm getting to the age where I don't see so good.
But if I put one of those nice lit up clocks with the brightly colored
numerals where I can see it, it ends up illuminating the entire room. Now I
know there is good science behind making a switch to one with red or orange
numbers instead of the bright blue and kind of disturbing one I have now.

Jo

Old September 2nd 05, 11:52 PM
Yowie

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Anyone want to know a lot about light bulbs? I can tell you more than you
ever wanted as I used to work for a manufacturer of them for 17 years.
They are not actually called light bulbs in the trade, they are called
*lamps*
Any more anyone? ;-)

Yeah.... what is the alloy used for the filament - tungsten and what else?
And is it true that the bulbs are filled with argon? Is it regular glass or
heat resistant glass that htey use? How do they manufacture the bulbs so
that hte glass is so thin? Are "lamps" specifically designed to burn out at
"x" time, or is that just the way it is?

Yowie

Old September 2nd 05, 11:58 PM
Trish

"Itsa Joke" wrote in message

You forgot two

(1) know it all to say she has had that experience before and then bore
us to tears with it

(1) kissass to excitedly answer the know it all exclaiming what a great
experience it must have been

Old September 3rd 05, 12:20 AM

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
This is me. Did you know that in the middle of the color spectrum
you'll find that the human eye is most sensitive? Now I wonder which
color is most sensitive for cats? Does anyone know? This is not useless
information since a green night light for me may be optimal but
sub-optimal for my cat. So if I want to see the cat, but not have the
cat see me...

Anyone want to know a lot about light bulbs? I can tell you more than you
ever wanted as I used to work for a manufacturer of them for 17 years. They
are not actually called light bulbs in the trade, they are called *lamps*
Any more anyone? ;-)

Tweed

Oh great. The graphs I see are usually typical Bell-curve with the
sweet spot for human eyeballs in the center of the 500 nanometer range,
green-yellow and rapid fall off to either the reds at one end, or the
blues at the other end before disappearing iinto invisible light
spectrum.

I am amazed at how well a night-light that is greenish-yellow will
illuminate a dark room. I suspect that the jarring effect of the blue
is really not due to the color as much as the type of light and the
increased output of that usually fluorescent type of bulb? If all the
outputs are kept equal, blue and red are quite dull and hard to see
anything outside of themselves, like the surrounding parts of the room.

In regards to cats, Yowie, I wonder if it's like smells. For example,
supposedly, cats have sensors to only about 500 smells but they can
smell that smell way better than humans can, who have about 2000 smell
sensors. We are more fussy about our food apparently but the feline can
smell food way far away and is not so gourmet inclined, except those
who are having fun teasing their humans.

I also wonder if cats see better at red and at infrared which humans
cannot do. I have not idea if this is true. I doubt it. I know they can
see light better, but not sure how that translates into colors.

The same was for hawks I remember. A hawk, like a peregrine falcon,
could discern 160 lines in a grating, arugendo, 1 centimeter whereas
the human could not. But a human could detect an object, not moving, by
color, whereas the hawk needed movement to see that object. BUT, the
hawk could detect movement a mile away whereas no human could at that
distance. Ah, brings back such wonder information. Yes, I actually read
a scientific article on how the peregrine falcons can see. They are the
ones that do a little 10,000 mile trip each year, except for a few
females, how hang out in Miami beach to see what they can scare up. I'm
not kidding you. They put transmitters and one female wintered in Miami
instead of going on to Brazil, the hussy.

Old September 3rd 05, 01:47 AM
PatM

Actually, yes...I was wondering about those full-spectrum bulbs. What
is different about how they are made? Are the ones you can buy at Home
Depot the same as they use in light boxes. Those are expensive, and
I've always wondered if the consumer is paying all that just for the
box part. Just curious!

PatM

Old September 3rd 05, 02:02 AM

PatM wrote:
Actually, yes...I was wondering about those full-spectrum bulbs. What
is different about how they are made? Are the ones you can buy at Home
Depot the same as they use in light boxes. Those are expensive, and
I've always wondered if the consumer is paying all that just for the
box part. Just curious!

PatM

Depends, depends. Full spectrum can be helpful for SAD, Seasonal
Adjusted? Depression supposedly. Also it helps plants to grow. Have to
be careful and make sure it's full spectrum and not any ultraviolet
leaking out which could, ah, age your eyeballs prematurely. So here is
where I don't think I would skimp unless I really, really knew the
manufacturer.

There are savings though. Some big companies make Grow bulbs for plants
that are kind of full spectrum for practical purposes.

I have seen full-spectrum flourescents, 4-foot bulbs for an office,
really truly expensive but they work. Don't get that office feeling you
get with ordinary bulbs which is kind of industrial and artificial.

Old September 3rd 05, 02:05 AM

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Itsa Joke wrote:

[...]

waves hand wildly Ms. Tweed!! Pick me!! Pick me!!

1. Is it true that if you never turn a light bulb off, it will never
burn out.
2. Is it true that those light bulbs that claim to last 10 years,
really do last 10 years? If so, then why don't they make all of them
like that?