newborn kittens

Old May 5th 04, 11:30 PM
Rosemary

Default newborn kittens

My brother found a cat that just had kittens under a sticker bush and
would like to move them to more safety spot. Can you move a litter
with the mother this young or will she hurt her babies if you do?

thanks for you advice.
Rosemary
Old May 6th 04, 10:44 PM
~*Connie*~

I agree. It really depends on the personality of the mother. If you can
catch her, then attempt the move. If you cant, then I would recommend
leaving them alone and keeping an eye on her. Once the kittens get to be
four or five weeks, Id take them away from her. It is awful early, but that
way you can socialize them to like humans, and give them a chance to have a
home, instead of becoming feral and living out on the street and living with
those risks.

om...

Old May 7th 04, 05:29 PM
minerva nine

Don't move the kittens. They're probably safer under a sticker bush than
they would be anywhere. The mama will move them if the spot is too
dangerous. -- M9

om...

Old May 9th 04, 04:37 AM
TechGeek

"~*Connie*~" wrote in message ...
I agree. It really depends on the personality of the mother. If you can
catch her, then attempt the move. If you cant, then I would recommend
leaving them alone and keeping an eye on her. Once the kittens get to be
four or five weeks, Id take them away from her. It is awful early, but that
way you can socialize them to like humans, and give them a chance to have a
home, instead of becoming feral and living out on the street and living with
those risks.

Ageed, also let your neighbors know (if you live in a close
neighborhood) about them so no one accidently disturbs them, same with
landscapers.

My wife and I went though two similar situations, one the mother
abandoned them (3 kittens, 2 got very good homes, one stayed with us),
the other the mother was very sweet and we took her in (northeast
winter was coming) we raised the kittens from bald, no eyed, peeping
kittens, to fully, jumping, playing kittens. (Most of which also got
good homes though us, the rest went to a shelter and were all adopted
out).

Also, if you know how to feed & take care of the kittens, it will help
them grow and devolop into good cats, I'm sure there is a plethora of
information out there on how to take care of them.

Warning: If you do move them in your house, and you have cats on your
own, keep them seperate and clean all the cats you bring in, a simple
bath will doa world of good.

Old May 10th 04, 09:25 PM
Sharon Talbert

Rosemary, the kindest and most responsible thing to do is to bring the
whole family inside, where they are all safe. But you don't mention
whether the cat is tame, which complicates matters somewhat. You also
don't mention whether you are a kid, which complicates things even more,
unless your parents will support you.

Feel free to contact me at his address or my Campus Cats address for
further advice.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats