OT. New physiotherapy tomorrow

Old May 22nd 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default OT. New physiotherapy tomorrow

I have to go to hospital tomorrow to get more exercises for my shoulder. I
am not looking forward to it at all. What I do already hurts so badly and
each time another other one is added it hurts more.
I *know* I have to do it, and am doing, but the moment my shoulder stops
hurting a bit, I have to start it all again and it starts agony again.
New exercise tomorrow. Oh, joy.
However I have to do it to try to be able to drive again. I'm really shot
living where I do if I cannot drive.
I just cannot put my arm forward to put my car into 3rd gear atm. My
physiotherapist did not help by saying "you will probably be able to raise
your arm to put your laundry on the clothes line before you'll be able to
drive your car."

As there is no chance of raising my arm atm, I'm really upset by this.
I *must* drive. To get food for my chickens and to shop.
Tweed

Old May 22nd 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message
On May 22, 12:44 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

I am going to tell you something I have been holding in so far. As I
have posted before, I have minor
rotor cuff shoulder issues but never had any PT for it because I have
no impediment to movement as
due to very high pain tolerance level I just tough through whatever
"smarts" (no great pain) whenever.

I think I have high pain tolerance too since I waited 3 weeks for attention,
but actually I don't. I nearly died from the pain of having a
broken/dislocation but I believed it was a bad sprain
Having waited made it very difficult to put it right.

Old May 22nd 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:

As there is no chance of raising my arm atm, I'm really upset by this.
I *must* drive. To get food for my chickens and to shop.
Tweed

I wish I lived nearer to you so I could help.

--
Adrian
Old May 22nd 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry you're going through all that pain. I do hope the results will be
such that someday you can look back and say, "It was worth it."

In the meantime, any chance of trading your car in on one with automatic
transmission? That might bring the driving days closer.

Joy

Old May 23rd 11, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"hopitus" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

Quit beating yourself up over that fact. Having greater than normal
pain tolerance
level has huge bad issues...like a genuine heart attack froom ignoring
pain.
-------
I don't have a greater than normal pain tolerance. I was in agony and I
should have gone to hospital immediately but I didn't, thinking I could
recover on my own.
Of course I beat myself up about it, but that is with hindsight. It means a
longer road to recovery and loss of independence. It's the latter that I
cannot stand.
Tweed

Old May 23rd 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message

In the meantime, any chance of trading your car in on one with automatic
transmission? That might bring the driving days closer.

I have thought about this, but it would be a last resort. I've had my car
for a number of years and it's very reliable as I keep it well serviced.
Automatic cars are not very popular here, so it's not easy to get them
second hand.
I've even thought of buying a cheap 2nd hand mobility scooter that I can
operate with my right hand and selling it again afterwards when I can drive
again.
ATM, I do not want to part with my car. He has a name, Mr F due to his
number plate MRF and I bought him from a 90 y o man called Mr Field. Plus
he is so reliable, starts first time, every time.
I've never driven an automatic car either.

Tweed

Old May 23rd 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

As there is no chance of raising my arm atm, I'm really upset by this.
I *must* drive. To get food for my chickens and to shop.
Tweed

I wish I lived nearer to you so I could help.

Aww, thank you.
Physiotherapist raised my arm to the maximum today (bearing in mind I can
only do this if I support it with my other arm) and asked me to try and
support it myself for a few seconds.
O M G. It hurt so much I held my breath each time.
Next week I get into the hydrotherapy pool as she says having my arm
supported by water will help.
June gets food for my chickens, but she helps me so much I get embarrassed
to keep asking.
Shopping is my real problem. Yes, I can do it online but I can never find
everything I want.
I've been pretty well stuck in the house since March 14 although I've walked
to the shops a few times recently when I was desperate, I really should not
do it as it hurts my shoulder big time, it's too far

Tweed

Old May 23rd 11, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On May 23, 12:55*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I've even thought of buying a cheap 2nd hand mobility scooter that I can
operate with my right hand and selling it again afterwards when I can drive
again.

That's an idea- see them a lot around here, apparently they do a good
few miles on a charge certainly enough to get to the shops and have
panniers for shopping although you wouldn;'t be able to carry a lot on
them (Wait this is Tweed we're talking about- she;ll work out how to
tie a bale of hay and some sacks of chicken food to it :-) I didn't
know you could only operate them with your right hand but that sounds
fine if you can and you could easily sell it on once you could drive
again the papers are full of companies offering to buy/sell them- you
might even be able to get one on a contract for as many months as you
need it- whilst I don't pay too much attention to mobility ads in the
papers I am pretty sure I;ve seen mobility scooters offered on
contracts

I can understand you not wanting to lose Mr F though (Correct Adrian?)
I am surprised you say there's not a .lot of automatics- here in
London most cars are but if you've never driven an automatic you'll
have loads of problems I suspect and anyway correct me if I am wrong
(and given I don't drive I may be) the gear stick on an automatic is
on the left in the same position as a manual (usually I may not drive
myself but I have seen automatic gear sticks on the right hand side of
the wheel but on a few Mercedes only- my dad had a beautiful Merc
years ago and they are the only cars that interest me) so getting an
automatic wouldn't be much help as you;d still have to reach down with
your left hand to pull the gear stick

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 23rd 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

[...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Could you speak to the owner/manager of the grocery and describe your
problem? It's possible there might be an employee (or son or daughter of an
employee) who would be willing to deliver your groceries for a fee. You
could call in an order, either directly to the grocer or to the person who
is going to deliver.

MaryL

MaryL

Old May 23rd 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On May 23, 1:41*pm, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On May 23, 12:55*pm, "Christina wrote:
I've even thought of buying a cheap 2nd hand mobility scooter that I can
operate with my right hand and selling it again afterwards when I can drive
again.

Jus a quick Google yielded http://www.nationalmobilityrental.co...y-scooter.html

Don't know if helps but rather than buy one they will rent you one