Crazy and odd pet laws

Old February 10th 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Crazy and odd pet laws

Christina Websell wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

Brilliant.
I must look up our laws in the UK.

I'll bet a lot of countries have weird laws like this. I don't think
all of the ones that were listed in Matthew's post were from the US.
Where's "Reggio Emilia"? Sounds like Italy. Plus there were a couple
that had different currencies, but I'm not sure what they were because
my email s/w doesn't support whatever encoding was used for the currency
symbol.

Not quite the same as laws, but the deeds on my house tell me that I must
not "be a tallow candle maker, fellmonger, or manure merchant by way of
business"
But there's good new on the deeds too. I can keep pigs, providing they are
75 yards from the road, which would not be a problem, as my garden is 156
yards long.
It's something to think about, eh, if my new neighbours upset me much more?!
Tweed

LOL! There you go - might be the ideal solution!
Old February 10th 12, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

It's strange that just those specific things were listed rather than
just a general "no commercial activities" clause. Here in the states we
have either "zoning" laws or a "home owners association" that restricts
what type of properties are allowed in a certain area. Of the two I'd
rather have the zoning laws, but unfortunately we have an HOA which not
only charges you fees but tells you such things like how high a fence
you can build on the property.

I think many HOA's usurp what SHOULD be a home-owner's rights, but the
worst I ever HEARD of is the one poor Jill has been dealing with!

Old February 10th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

What's a fellmonger? I've never heard that word before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellmonger

It's strange that just those specific things were listed rather than just
a general "no commercial activities" clause. Here in the states we have
either "zoning" laws or a "home owners association" that restricts what
type of properties are allowed in a certain area. Of the two I'd rather
have the zoning laws, but unfortunately we have an HOA which not only
charges you fees but tells you such things like how high a fence you can
build on the property.

All these houses were built as smallholdings so the deeds just told you not
to stink the place out..and that is all the restrictions I have.
As I said, if my neighbours get even more annoying, I can feel a couple of
pigs coming on. Plenty of room for them.
Tweed

IMHO It would be in your best interest to "sit tight" and not try to

retaliate in any way . They are the ones doing the annoying __ not
you. If this gets bad enough to go to court, the fact that they and not
you are the culprits would be in your favor. To me, this is "common
sense". I know the temptation to get even is great, but it is not the
smartest thing to do.

While I am at it, best wishes for your medical tests. MLB

Old February 11th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"dgk" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:55:52 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Cetainly you won't have a pet bird for long.

Although I do know someone with a cat and a bird. I think the bird has
gotten used to it but it probably took some time.

It is not something I would do. Imagine being that bird in a cage and
seeing a cat staring in, it would be like myself having a tiger poised to
get me.
I think it's cruel to have prey species and their predator in the same
house so they can see each other.

I suppose it depends on the cat and the bird(s). Persia adored Peaches.
I'd like to think she thought of her as a friend. I suppose it depends on
how they are introduced. This was a slow introduction. But in the end they
liked each other. Not that I was trusting enough to let Peaches walk around
on the floor with Persia running around But I did have her on my finger
and shoulder with Persia walking around. Peaches never did get to be an out
of the cage bird. I don't blame her. But the cage was large and tall. She
had lots of bird toys with bells, treats, perches and a swing. It was like
a three-storey flat she didn't have to share with anyone. She wasn't
unhappy She used to sing to the sound of running water in the kitchen
sink. Persia didn't pounce at, try to tip over, or break her cage. Persia
also didn't sit, staring at Peaches. They were very comfortable with each
other.

Jill

Old February 11th 12, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

LOL! Yep, that might work. Are any of your chickens cocks? Do they
"announce the morning"? We used to keep chickens when I was a child and I
remember them crowing quite some while before the sun actually rose. There
was no need for an alarm clock, we were up and ready for school on time
every day. If they're former city dwellers that may be quite annoying to
them as well. ;

My last boy died while I was away, he was 9 years old and I told the carers
not to panic if he popped his clogs.
I intend to get another trio of some sort of rare breed when the weather
improves and I am a bit better.
The most cockerels I ever had at any one time was 17 and I never had any
complaints. The more longstanding residents around here (when all the plots
were large) were used to mooing, bleating, squealing and crowing from all
around ;-)

Old February 11th 12, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tim J.[_2_]

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:55:52 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

South Dakota
No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.

Sorry, Fountain Inn is in South Carolina, not South Dakota. And there
is a valid reason that city ordinance exists. For two weeks each
December, they have horse drawn carriage rides through town for people
to view Christmas lights. The horses are not required to wear pants
as you say, but whatever device it's called that catches what falls
out of them, if you know what I mean.

Nothing crazy or odd about it. It just helps to keep the streets
clean.
Old February 11th 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Tim J. wrote:

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:55:52 -0500, "Matthew"

South Dakota
No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.

Sorry, Fountain Inn is in South Carolina, not South Dakota.

Maybe there's more than one Fountain Inn?

Agreed on the rest of it.

--
Joyce

The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old February 11th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

on the floor with Persia running around But I did have her on my
finger and shoulder with Persia walking around. Peaches never did get to
be an out of the cage bird. I don't blame her. But the cage was large
and tall. She had lots of bird toys with bells, treats, perches and a
swing. It was like a three-storey flat she didn't have to share with
anyone. She wasn't unhappy She used to sing to the sound of running
water in the kitchen sink. Persia didn't pounce at, try to tip over, or
break her cage. Persia also didn't sit, staring at Peaches. They were
very comfortable with each other.

But you don't know what Peaches felt having a natural predator near her.
Maybe she got used to it, but that would take some time.

I am not in favour of keeping any animal or bird in close proximity to a
predator of them, despite that people think "they get used to it. and then
they like it."
I would never keep a rat, bird, mouse, gerbil etc in a house where there was
a cat that could go near them.
I think to do so is cruel.
I might as well have a fox that I put next to my chickens.

Old February 11th 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MLB" wrote in message

IMHO It would be in your best interest to "sit tight" and not try to

retaliate in any way . They are the ones doing the annoying __ not you.
If this gets bad enough to go to court, the fact that they and not you are
the culprits would be in your favor. To me, this is "common sense". I
know the temptation to get even is great, but it is not the smartest
thing to do.

It was a joke, really. I am not up to keeping pigs atm as I cannot walk
properly quite yet and have no intention to. However, it would not been
seen as an act of retaliation, since I am able to keep them if I decide to
at any time I choose.
Tweed

While I am at it, best wishes for your medical tests. MLB

Old February 11th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
wrote in message
Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

Yep, but the newcomers, being "city slickers" might not feel the same.
Let us know when you get new chicks and some pictures of them and where
they live would be nice (to picture the scenes you talk about).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

We Have New Laws To Protect Animals in UK/Animal Welfare Laws sheelagh Cat health & behaviour 4 April 11th 07 02:35 PM
Laws of cat physics Joy Cat anecdotes 1 September 23rd 06 11:20 PM
Laws of Physics Julie and Sam Cat anecdotes 4 September 21st 06 05:10 AM
OT Mother in laws look out Matthew Cat anecdotes 2 July 26th 06 06:47 AM
OT Unavoidable Laws Matthew Cat anecdotes 2 June 14th 06 07:59 PM