Albasani: bad news

Old July 16th 12, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default Albasani: bad news

Albasani is the news server I use. This is sad, Alexander was
tremendously skilled and helpful. Albasani worked with less
glitches than any other web service I've used. He was only 40
according to this funeral announcement:

http://union.neuhofen.at/union/image..._bartolich.jpg

And see the t-shirt...

http://www.bartolich.at/alexander/about.html

[The following is an official communication from the Big-8 Management
Board. Please note that followups point at news.groups]

The Big 8 Management Board is sad to report we have learned that B8MB
Chairman Alexander Bartolich died suddenly of a cardiac event at his
home in Austria last weekend.

Alexander donated a great deal of time and resources to Usenet and his
loss will affect many users and systems. He operated Albasani.net,
providing free Usenet access to people around the world. (Albasani.net
was number 59 last month in the Usenet Top1000.) The Albasani.net news
server peers with a number of other servers in the Top1000. Alex also
provided free hosting to many moderated newsgroups with his Huhu
moderation software and server. In addition, Albasani operates one of
the moderation relays.

The Albasani.net servers are still operating, but it is unknown at this
time for how much longer. We don't yet know if there will be someone
with the technical expertise and physical and administrative access
available to continue the services.
We offer our heartfelt condolences to Alexander's family and we will
certainly miss him.

Kathy Morgan, Vice-chair
Big 8 Management Board =======================

Those who peer with that site should take notice

Old July 16th 12, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

Albasani is the news server I use. This is sad, Alexander was
tremendously skilled and helpful. Albasani worked with less
glitches than any other web service I've used. He was only 40
according to this funeral announcement:

http://union.neuhofen.at/union/image..._bartolich.jpg

And see the t-shirt...

http://www.bartolich.at/alexander/about.html

He looks like a nice guy, from the picture, anyway. What happened to him?

--
Joyce

The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.
Old July 16th 12, 08:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

Albasani is the news server I use. This is sad, Alexander was
tremendously skilled and helpful. Albasani worked with less
glitches than any other web service I've used. He was only 40
according to this funeral announcement:

http://union.neuhofen.at/union/image..._bartolich.jpg

And see the t-shirt...

http://www.bartolich.at/alexander/about.html

He looks like a nice guy, from the picture, anyway. What happened to him?

--
Joyce

He died as a result of a "cardiac event". How sad, so young.

Jill

Old July 16th 12, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 03:54:34 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

Albasani is the news server I use. This is sad, Alexander was
tremendously skilled and helpful. Albasani worked with less
glitches than any other web service I've used. He was only 40
according to this funeral announcement:

http://union.neuhofen.at/union/image..._bartolich.jpg

And see the t-shirt...

http://www.bartolich.at/alexander/about.html

He looks like a nice guy, from the picture, anyway. What happened to him?

--
Joyce

He died as a result of a "cardiac event". How sad, so young.

Jill

Oh, that is bad news. I didn't know that Albasani existed though, so I
thought it was bad news on a cat. I read the post reluctantly since I
hate reading bad news about a cat.
Old July 16th 12, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
That Randy Guy

Get the **** outta here you piece of useless ****ing ****

Old July 16th 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Jack Campin wrote:

Albasani is the news server I use. This is sad, Alexander was
tremendously skilled and helpful. Albasani worked with less
glitches than any other web service I've used. He was only 40
according to this funeral announcement:

http://union.neuhofen.at/union/image..._bartolich.jpg

And see the t-shirt...

http://www.bartolich.at/alexander/about.html

He looks like a nice guy, from the picture, anyway. What happened to
him?

--
Joyce

He died as a result of a "cardiac event". How sad, so young.

Jill

Oh, that is bad news. I didn't know that Albasani existed though, so I
thought it was bad news on a cat. I read the post reluctantly since I
hate reading bad news about a cat.

Don't we all? But since you didn't see the original post, it's
understandable. I'd never heard of this newsserver, either. Sad, young
passing. And he liked cats!

Jill

Old July 17th 12, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

The Big 8 Management Board is sad to report we have learned that B8MB
Chairman Alexander Bartolich died suddenly of a cardiac event at his
home in Austria last weekend.

Alexander donated a great deal of time and resources to Usenet and his
loss will affect many users and systems. He operated Albasani.net,
providing free Usenet access to people around the world.

One group his server provided was de.alt.dateien.misc, a binaries group
for amateur photographers. They have a pretty odd selection of interests -
one of them likes photographing meals and glasses of beer he's about to
consume, and there are several obsessional flower photographers - but they
also have a lot of sweet cat photos you won't see elsewhere. Currently
there's a series on the cat cafe in Vienna. I don't know how to get at
any of that without using Albasani.