The story of Cammie (anti-declaw content)

Old March 11th 05, 08:43 PM
Karen

"KellyH" wrote in message
"O J" wrote
When I would post to the single cat group before the split, my sig
line was, "If you want a declawed cat, adopt one." The presence of
declawed adult cats up for adoption says a lot about the commitment to
the animal of the pet 'owner'. It was non-existent.

I've got two declawed cats coming in to the shelter. This woman emailed
that she has a new baby coming into the home, and the cats needs to go. I
emailed her back a bunch of info on how to integrate cats and babies,
explained how stressed the cats would be at the shelter, and to at least

try
it with the baby before giving up the cats. She emailed back that "the

cats
were not her primary concern" and "I have enjoyed the cats, but will enjoy
my grandson more. Please let me know when and where to drop off the

cats."
Bleh!! I'm doing a segment on our shelter's low-budget cable show about
cats and babies next week.
That grandson better watch out! When a cuter grandbaby comes along, he's
toast!

Jeez. That makes me ILL.

Old March 11th 05, 09:05 PM
Magic Mood JeepŠ

KellyH wrote:
[...]

Make sure she's on your shelter's "do not adopt to" list so she can come in
later and adopt (and mutilate) another couple of cats, only to dump them
(again) when her grandson is visiting again

Also, make sure that she is mentioned on your show (not by name, of course,
but her situation, and that it's an example of what *not* to do).

That grandson better watch out! When a cuter grandbaby comes along,
he's toast!

Wonder if she treated her own children in this manner. I bet her family was
strife with sibling rivalry. shakes head in sadness

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

I've always wondered, what (or who) is TMBG????

--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)Š email me at
nalee1964 (at) insightbb (dot) com

Old March 11th 05, 09:15 PM
KellyH

"Magic Mood JeepŠ" wrote
Also, make sure that she is mentioned on your show (not by name, of
course, but her situation, and that it's an example of what *not* to do).

Good idea. I can have the cats on too and tell how they were displaced by a
baby.

Old March 11th 05, 09:26 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-11, Magic Mood JeepŠ penned:
KellyH wrote:

-- -Kelly kelly at farringtons dot net "Wake up, and smell the cat food"
-TMBG

I've always wondered, what (or who) is TMBG????

They Might Be Giants

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 11th 05, 09:30 PM
jmcquown

KellyH wrote:
"Magic Mood JeepŠ" wrote
Also, make sure that she is mentioned on your show (not by name, of
course, but her situation, and that it's an example of what *not* to
do).

Good idea. I can have the cats on too and tell how they were
displaced by a baby.

And not even HER baby - a grandbaby. I still shake my head when I think of
a former neighbor who loved seeing Persia sitting in the front window. She
said, "I'd love to have a cat but I'm pregnant; you can't have a cat around
babies." Says who? Just keep the cat out of the babies' room if you're
that concerned about it.

Jill

Old March 11th 05, 09:34 PM
KellyH

On 2005-03-11, Magic Mood JeepŠ penned:
I've always wondered, what (or who) is TMBG????

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote
They Might Be Giants

Sorry, I missed your question. Yep, it's They Might Be Giants. The whole
line of that lyric is "wake up, and smell the cat food in your bank
account." It's from "Don't Let's Start". Very fun group, live concerts are
great.

Old March 11th 05, 09:41 PM
KellyH

"jmcquown" wrote
And not even HER baby - a grandbaby. I still shake my head when I think
of
a former neighbor who loved seeing Persia sitting in the front window.
She
said, "I'd love to have a cat but I'm pregnant; you can't have a cat
around
babies." Says who? Just keep the cat out of the babies' room if you're
that concerned about it.

Bah! What nonsense! I didn't even ask this woman if the grandbaby was
coming to live with her, or what. By then, I just wanted the cats. It was
clear that they are just possessions
I'm 16 weeks pg with twins, and have 6 of my own cats and one foster. Only
changes I've had to make is DH does the litterboxes, and I gave up my
cleaning shift at the shelter. I took on some more paperwork stuff to make
up for it.
I have absolutely no plans on giving up my cats once the babies arrive. My
two biggest fears are that the babies will be allergic, and/or a cat not
adjusting well to the babies. Two of our cats can be a bit possessive.
Bartleby is possessive of me (he's the one who kneads and mock-nurses in the
morning) and Mia has claimed DH. He cradles her like a baby when we sit on
the couch. I don't think the other cats will really take much notice of the
babies.

Old March 11th 05, 09:47 PM
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
LOL! Every time I send a post about declawing my spell checker says that
"declaw" isn't a word - oh if that were only true and nobody in the world
knew what "declawing" is!

Hugs,

CatNipped

One day it will be illegal in your country, like it is here.. One day all
the cat owners in the USA will say "Declawing is disgusting." and will tell
their vet they will never use them again if they do this.
What are you all waiting for??
Phone your vets and ask them if they declaw. If they say yes, ask them why.
Tell them about the litter box problems that declawed cats have. Ask them
to tell you frankly if it's an earner for them. Of course it is.
Shame them. Tell them what it really means for a kitty who hasn't got front
claws and ask them why they do it.
To be honest, I find it hard to believe that a USA vet would declaw a cat to
save your furniture. Any vet who called themselves a vet should never do
that.

Tweed

Old March 11th 05, 09:48 PM
Karen

On 2005-03-11, Magic Mood JeepŠ penned:
KellyH wrote:

-- -Kelly kelly at farringtons dot net "Wake up, and smell the cat

food"
-TMBG

I've always wondered, what (or who) is TMBG????

They Might Be Giants

Istanbul is Constantinople
now it's Istanbul ..... (fun group)

Old March 11th 05, 10:01 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-11, Christina Websell penned:

One day it will be illegal in your country, like it is here.. One day all
the cat owners in the USA will say "Declawing is disgusting." and will tell
their vet they will never use them again if they do this.

How did the anti-mutilation law get into effect where you are?

If all the cat owners anywhere didn't want to declaw their cats, there
wouldn't be a need for such laws =/